• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 1 - Carolina Panthers Select Shaq Thompson

Jeremy Igo

But defense isn't really the reason we can't win games is it

we gave up 40 (+/- 5)  5 times last year, gave up 450yds+ 3 times, and got gashed in the run game multiple times...the Stillers are still running.  Our D cleaned up in the second half, but it had its share of problems last year.  We were out of games early more than once due to the D.

But defense isn't really the reason we can't win games is it

coverage is one of the reasons we lost games last year. We gave up 30+ like 4 or 5 times. We were able to fix it on the tail end but Colin jones and aj Klein aren't the long term answer. Plus it's a deep draft on wr and maybe next year will have good tackles and we can grab one. Or get jake fisher. I know one thing. We will know by Saturday night.

I don't see a big gap between the WR's we were picking from at 25 and what we'll likely have to pick from tomorrow night. It's always possible there's a run on receivers, but if there's not we'll have a solid chance at landing our #2.

coverage is one of the reasons we lost games last year. We gave up 30+ like 4 or 5 times. We were able to fix it on the tail end but Colin jones and aj Klein aren't the long term answer. Plus it's a deep draft on wr and maybe next year will have good tackles and we can grab one. Or get jake fisher. I know one thing. We will know by Saturday night.

So 80% of our picks have been defense the past 5 years, with a DC as a head coach and it's still inadequate?? Welp

So 80% of our picks have been defense the past 5 years, with a DC as a head coach and it's still inadequate?? Welp

you can like it now or later but I like the pick. I remember being skeptical of a guy named Kuechly. Who did you want anyway. Don't tell me Perriman. That guy is gonna be a bust

you can like it now or later but I like the pick. I remember being skeptical of a guy named Kuechly. Who did you want anyway. Don't tell me Perriman. That guy is gonna be a bust

I seriously doubt it. Ozzie Newsome doesn't draft first round busts.

I guess we'll find out soon enough. The Ravens were do wrong about Steve Smith so what do they know

I guess we'll find out soon enough. The Ravens were do wrong about Steve Smith so what do they know

i think everyone knew Smitty could still play. I still don't know why we let him go. Shitty move if you ask me. And my all time favorite player. But DG has proven himself the last two drafts so I'm gonna ride that train and trust he knows way more than me. I work 65 hrs a week and have a pregnant wife so that's all I can do. Still like the pick

i think everyone knew Smitty could still play. I still don't know why we let him go. Shitty move if you ask me. And my all time favorite player. But DG has proven himself the last two drafts so I'm gonna ride that train and trust he knows way more than me. I work 65 hrs a week and have a pregnant wife so that's all I can do. Still like the pick

It's not even that I think Shaq is going to be a bust. Just think we could have gotten a better contribution with the pick.

Time out.

Let's say Steve Smith was a Baltimore Raven in 2013. Going into 2014, with the same contract he had in Carolina, do you think Baltimore would've kept him? Reminder, keeping him in '14 means you fully guarantee his '15 & '16 contracts & pay him over $25m at age 36-37.

Dave Gettleman didn't cut Smith because he didn't think he had anything left. Dave Gettleman cut Smith because locking yourself into $12m in '15 & $13m in '16 to a 36-37yo 5'9 WR would've been incredibly stupid. And just weeks before Smith was cut he was on WFNZ & they asked him if he'd restructure or take a paycut & he laughed & said absolutely not. So don't even go there.

Rhetorical question, by the way. Baltimore would've kicked his ass to the curb just like Carolina did.

If Dave had kept Smith around they would've been forced to cut either Kalil, Johnson, or Davis this offseason just to squeeze under the cap. You know, kinda like how the Saints had to get rid of their best player because they were broke against the cap.

But please, don't let reality & common sense cloud your judgment. Continue.

Here's to hoping. If nothing else, at least Byron Bell won't be one the glaring weaknesses on the OL next year. 

Team needs aside, it still seems like an incredibly risky pick. It seems like a lot of people are assuming that he'll be able to  to grow into LB and that he's ready to plug right in at Safety until TD's gone. It's jmo, but that hardly seems like a given when he's never even played Safety before. If they wanted to go the Safety route over WR and OT, Landon Collins seems like the smarter/safer pick. 

I don't get the Kam Chancellor comparisons at all. Chancellor's 6'3" and a freak of nature at Safety. Shaq Thompson seems more like a classic tweener. again jmo and hopefully it's way off.

Offense can help the team win. Didn't say it doesn't.

It isn't like our offense was terrible, we can score (don't believe me go watch 2011 season again) . We just don't light up the scoreboard.

We still have 8 picks left I am sure we will draft at least one offensive guy ;)

Lol! I'm in a bar in Milwaukee & have a bunch of Packer fans congratulating me on my team making a great pick. Meanwhile, on the Huddle...

They are considerably more in tune than our band of youtube scouts.

Archived