• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Home Workout Advice Needed

Mark S

I agree with electro Fiz, it might be too early to start lifting seriously

However, you should definitely start once you get to around the age of 20- you only build up bone density prior to the age of 30 - after that it's all decline 

I think hypOtrophic growth would be the issue, not hypertrophy. Anyway, youngsters hit puberty earlier than ever before. A 16 year old should be done growing. Besides, lifting light for mobility and stability wouldn't cause issues down the road.

With that being said, I still agree to wait until you're a little older. Your hormones are all over the place right now. Starting a regimen to bulk at this point will throw them in disarray. The big guys you see now will have pot bellies and double chins in 10 years. Besides, girls eventually realize flat stomachs = no fat covering the bottom 2-3 inches of dick. You'll have that going for you in time.

I think hypOtrophic growth would be the issue, not hypertrophy. Anyway, youngsters hit puberty earlier than ever before. A 16 year old should be done growing. Besides, lifting light for mobility and stability wouldn't cause issues down the road.

With that being said, I still agree to wait until you're a little older. Your hormones are all over the place right now. Starting a regimen to bulk at this point will throw them in disarray. The big guys you see now will have pot bellies and double chins in 10 years. Besides, girls eventually realize flat stomachs = no fat covering the bottom 2-3 inches of dick. You'll have that going for you in time.

I agree as well... heavy lifting doesn't do much prior to age 18.  Before 16 I think it can be detrimental... which is why I suggested body weight exercises and running.

I agree with fiz on the womenz part as well.

You young guys have no idea the appetite for a woman over 25 and how to maximize that.

But do basic stuff as mentioned and don't be a shallow sucker and juice.

I don't think pull ups are an option sadly. Do you have an idea of the reps of push-ups and stuff I should do?

There are a lot of good push up apps out there.  I did one last year.  The one I got was like $4 which is much cheaper than a set of weights.

You guys all gave me good advice. Thanks so much.

I guess I'm not trying to get really big. I just don't want to look small. Not for the ladies or something like that but because I just want to look like I have no meat on my bones.

People are always saying "omg do you never eat" and I respond "lol no I eat more than you could imagine". I just turned out to be small and skinny. I mean I was 4'10" almost two years ago. That's a foot of growth so I guess I don't know if I should wait in case I get another spurt. But I just don't wanna look small.

Thanks again for the help and additional feedback is welcomed.

Kudos to you for wanting to workout at your age...

Body weight exercises are what you're going to have to do if you can't get to a gym or get some equipment.

Eat healthy, do pushups and pullups and run your ass off.

See if you can find some P90X stuff online or buy some used DVD's, those programs are pretty good.

Good idea. I think I might go to my brother for help. He used to do extreme fitness workouts at home before. Thanks.

Also I don't think your dad would have a problem if you went to him and said that you feel like you want to add some muscle. He may be happy to help, he might even be willing to spend some cash on some weight lifting stuff to put in the garage or an unused room in the house. If so, check out craigslist for some deals on dumbbells, kettlebells or a bench set

You'd be surprised. I come from an ethnic household so working out if I'm already naturally skinny would be seen as a ware of time to him basically.

alright listen kid im going to spit some serious game at you right now.

It's possible you're not done growing yet. It's also possible you're barely producing testosterone at this point. Long story short, hypertrophic growth is not going to occur for you. That means you can't pump up your arms by doing poo loads of curls.

You're probably pissed off because you're little and other big guys are getting laid. This is true. this is the fact of life. Guys that are big in highschool now won the genetic lottery. there's nothing you can do about this.

You are going to make absolutely no gains in your bedroom doing dips and pushups at this stage in your life. you need to put a barbell on your back, pick up a barbell, and press it over your head, when you're older.

study hard, get into a good school, start lifting when you're older. Get to school, read Starting Strength, and start lifting.

just play like pokemon now or whatever. fuging high school girls sucks anyway they don't know what they're doing.

I appreciate the honesty but you really thinking working out at my age, even a little bit, isn't beneficial?

I don't know what hypotrophic or hypertrophic growth is, I'd appreciate some insight.

And a 16 year old should be done growing? Dang.

Archived