• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers.com spotlights Lee Ward

Mr. Scot

I consider Brockel to be a TE, as he's listed, but a blocking TE, and I think Ward has more potential value. I'm hoping they keep 4 RBs. I can't see cutting Fozzy or Todman, and CAP and Stewart are locks. Tolbert is listed as a FB and I never include him in the RB group. I don't see Mike losing his spot, but I do think they hope Ward can take it over eventually. 

I would be a little surprised if we kept 4 RBs, Tolbert at FB and Brockel or Ward.  There are just so many roster spots. 

Since people tend to debate who is a "FB" and who is a "TE" we can look at a different way.

Last year we started the season with 8 roster spots allocated to RB,FB, and TE.

I fully expect us to go into the season with 3 "traditional type TEs.  Olsen, Dickson, and probably Williams.

Stewart is a lock.  CAP and probably Tolbert also.  That leaves 2 roster spots for guys like Fozzy, Todman, Reaves, Ward, Wegher, and Brockel.

We could always carry more then 8 but people are also wanting us to carry 6 WRs.  We only had 5 on the roster at the start of last year.  Either way roster spots are going to be tight and some decent players are going to be let go.

It's going to be tough to get him on the 53 if we keep Tolbert which seems likely unless he can serve double duty as a blocking TE.  Would love to be able to stash him on the practice squad to take over from Tolbert down the road.

people who make these comments aren't thinking about brockel.

this isn't a case of ward vs. tolbert.

this IS a case of ward vs. brockel (if there is a limit/quota on positions).

Gettleman has stated that he doesn't do position quotas. His approach to final cuts is to find the best 53.

The big question will be whether Lee Ward is part of that.

i agree with this.

considering the asset ward would be to not just the run game but protecting cam, i can see his value being greater than some of the more fringe depth players.

Archived