• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watching Vonleh vs. Towns

WOW!!

Good match up.. All night.. Towns showed why he was the 1st pick and Vonleh showed the huge mistake Cho made.. Smh...  Minnesota also has Payne he look good to.. 

I don't think the problem was ever the talent Vonleh possesses. It was more likely down to how long it would take for him to develop into player he could be, and unfortunately, that was not on the same timeline as this team because our team is in "win now" mode. And that's without considering our head coach doesn't tend to give major minutes to the rookie/raw players. 

Now I suspect if we had been in a sort of rebuild mode (eg Al opted out and signed elsewhere), then we probably would have kept Vonleh and potentially given him a greater role in the team. But as things stand, they made a trade to get a player that will have a greater impact on the team now, and Batum has the ability to do more for this team's desire to "win now.

Like you, I'd have kept him. But this team is going in a different direction, and time will tell if that is the right decision or not...

Good match up.. All night.. Towns showed why he was the 1st pick and Vonleh showed the huge mistake Cho made.. Smh...  Minnesota also has Payne he look good to.. 

Player A: 29 MPG, 32% FG, 1-10 3 PT, 69% FT, 9.5 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 3.8 APG

Player B: 25 MPG, 56% FG, 80% FT, 13.3 PPG, 4.7 APG, 0.7 APG

A = D'Angelo Russell through 4 games

B = Maurice N'dour through 3 games

Not trying to say it was the right move but rarely can anything be judged accurately on a summer league performance. Vonleh has had an entire year of professional training in the world's best basketball league. He SHOULD be miles ahead of undrafted players from low mid-major colleges playing on a 2nd division squad in Estonia.

I win n't think the problem was ever the talent Vonleh possesses. It was more likely down to how long it would take for him to develop into player he could be, and unfortunately, that was not on the same timeline as this team because our team is in "win now" mode. And that's without considering our head coach doesn't tend to give major minutes to the rookie/raw players. 

Now I suspect if we had been in a sort of rebuild mode (eg Al opted out and signed elsewhere), then we probably would have kept Vonleh and potentially given him a greater role in the team. But as things stand, they made a trade to get a player that will have a greater impact on the team now, and Batum has the ability to do more for this team's desire to "win now.

Like you, I'd have kept him. But this team is going in a different direction, and time will tell if that is the right decision or not...

win what exactly?? 

Player A: 29 MPG, 32% FG, 1-10 3 PT, 69% FT, 9.5 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 3.8 APG

Player B: 25 MPG, 56% FG, 80% FT, 13.3 PPG, 4.7 APG, 0.7 APG

A = D'Angelo Russell through 4 games

B = Maurice N'dour through 3 games

Not trying to say it was the right move but rarely can anything be judged accurately on a summer league performance. Vonleh has had an entire year of professional training in the world's best basketball league. He SHOULD be miles ahead of undrafted players from low mid-major colleges playing on a 2nd division squad in Estonia.

Whatever you have to do to make this a good decision in your mind is fine by me... Lol

Try to discredit all his solid performances all year if you like... 

win what exactly?? 

Whatever you have to do to make this a good decision in your mind is fine by me... Lol

A year that hasn't even started.

When we say we enjoy the Summer League it's out of the sheer irony of taking meaningless games between scrubs seriously since it's our only basketball fix before November. We didn't mean to actually take the games seriously!

I  didn't  see you making the same statements after Frank's 19 and 10 game..  Wait right here let me check and see where you said Frank's performances were meaningless.... 

When we say we enjoy the Summer League it's out of the sheer irony of taking meaningless games between scrubs seriously since it's our only basketball fix before November. We didn't mean to actually take the games seriously!

OK CB i went thru all six pages  of the Summer  League thread ..  You contributed 3-4 post and not once did you mention how meaningless the games were or how Frank's performances meant nothing... 

You did and I quote  .... wanted Frank to keep those summer league  performances "up"....  

OK CB i went thru all six pages  of the Summer  League thread ..  You contributed 3-4 post and not once did you mention how meaningless the games were or how Frank's performances meant nothing... 

You did and I quote  .... wanted Frank to keep those summer league  performances "up"....  

Yep yep. He's doing what he's supposed to do as a high draft pick playing amongst scrubs. That's noteworthy because Vonleh was a deer in headlights in Vegas last season.

Nowhere have I explicitly said Frank will end up better than Vonleh. In fact you will find that I hated the Vonleh trade.

I'm not saying you're wrong, you're just jumping to conclusions that can't be made for at least several more months.

win what exactly?? 

I doubt we will win anything, but the way they've built this team is to try and win now, regardless of how realistic that is. 

Like I said. If Al opted out, then maybe we would progress forwards with the young talent (Kemba, MKG, Vonleh, Zeller, Frank etc) and maybe tank a season to get another high draft pick (eg Skal or Simmons, though with our luck we'd lose the lottery again and end up with another MKG instead of Davis). But that didn't happen and Al opted in, so the front office made moves to get better in the hope it will help us "win now", as unlikely as that may be.

Nobody "gave up" on Vonleh. Vonleh was one of the only players they wanted off of our roster. Having to give them Vonleh says more about the "talent" on last years roster. They preferred a 1yr bench player over our veterans

Which wasn't surprising considering they have seen 4/5ths of their starting line up walk in free agency. They took Vonleh because their plan is to rebuild that roster around Lillard. 

In regards to giving up, we sent Henderson and Vonleh their way for a potential one year rental of Batum. One could argue they "gave up" on Vonleh thinking he couldn't step into the starting line up at PF, or play a significant role off the bench next season. If they believed he could step up and take a big step forwards, would they have traded him for a potential one year rental of Batum?

Nay pody "gave up" on Vonleh. Vonleh was one of the only players they wanted off of our roster. Having to give them Vonleh says more about the "talent" on last years roster. They preferred a 1yr bench player over our veterans

My point exactly..  If another team only wants one player on your roster..  Maybe you should  want him more..  Add in the facts you put in a deal with 2 players that might not be equal but close enough where you shouldn't hAve to give up a asset as well..  Plus  you could only be renting this player for a year...  

Archived