• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Keep Tolbert as a HB?

Donald LaFell

It blows my fugin mind why Brockel would make the Roster over Ward! Brockel is a "TE" but it aint like hes going past the line of scrimage for a pass! Hes a fckin blocker! Might as well have the mauler out there! Tolbert isnt even a Blocking FB. How many times will we see Stew and Tolbert in the I-Formation? Very little

fug this poo

Brockel plays on all 4 ST groups IIRC..  The is the only reason, but it is a big one.  

I'm amused that people are even entertaining the notion of cutting a pro bowl player at his position for some UDFA from an archaic time period in the sport

Most of you haven't even seen him play beyond the four snaps he took Friday but have got your jimmies all tickled over him because Zod tweets about him

How many more years can Tolbert give us? 2 or 3? Maybe more? As much as I like Ward, I will be sad to see the bowling ball retire. I have a total non-sexual man-crush on Tolbert.

Tolbert will be 30 in 2 months....that ain't a good number for someone at his job.

Also, I think our win loss record tied to Tolbert at the end is comical.  Cam getting healthy and 28 getting the load were the big reasons along with the D coming around...

Tolbert to me....looked like he lost something last year from the year prior.  Realistically, with his style and age this could be his last year if we get some good young blood. 

I've been thinking lately. With all the talk of Tolbert slimming down and the strong play of Ward as a true lead-blocking FB, do you think we'll considering him more of a HB?

We could keep Stewart, Tolbert, CAP, and Todman. Keep Ward as the FB. Activate any 4 of those on guys on gameday?

Thoughts?

Tolbert did play a dual role with the Chargers when he rushed for over 700 yards and double digit touchdowns. Throughout his career he's been given carries and done a solid job, but at this stage in his career I don't expect to see us change his role markedly. He should still remain the lead FB and get his share of short yardage situations and goal line work, possibly the 2pt conversion attempts as well. So he'll have a prominent role, but I don't see us putting him in as a HB full time unless injuries hit.

That said, I do think we'll end up keeping Stewart, CAP, Todman or Fozzy, and then Tolbert and Brockel at FB. I'm not convinced yet that Ward will be on the roster week 1.

Tolbert will definitely play a dual role, and if healthy, he'll probably still be an upback on punt team and KR among other roles.  Know that someone will really, really have to impress to knock away Brockel, a good blocker and a core special teamer, too.  

Archived