• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Comparing our Defense with the rest of the NFC through 2 games

Moorgan

All these stats are from nfl.com

I was looking at the NFC Team Defense stats and a few things jumped out at me. We've been leading in both of our games so the opposing offense had to go to a pass happy offense at the end of the games. Normally that would make our defensive passing stats a bit worse. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

CAR ranks 1st in Passing Attempts against us with 98. That makes sense when teams are trailing and trying to pass a lot. However, we have only allowed 49 completions for a completion percentage of exactly 50. That's #1 in the NFC. GB is #2 with 56%. So what about the Passer Rating allowed you might ask? Well that jumped out at me too. We have allowed a passer rating of 56 through 2 games. That is #1 in the NFC with DAL at #2 allowing a 68.1. That's pretty dominant at this point. Of course this needs to be tempered by the quality of QBs we've faced but we don't choose our opponents like college football and doing well against opponents you are supposed to do well against is the hallmark of a solid unit for sure (solid unit...ha!).

Of course Ws are the most important statistic but points allowed and turnovers are arguably the best statistical indicators leading to those coveted Ws. So where do we rank in the NFC? At allowing 13 points per game we sit at #1. We are also tied for 1st with AZ with 3 INTs and tied for 5th with 2 FFs. As for sacks we are tied with TB for 2nd with 6 behind STL with 8. We sit at #1 with 16 Passes Defensed. By the way, Seattle is dead last with 3 Passes Defensed. As for rushing, we rank 12th in the NFC with 22 attempts per game. Again, that makes sense since teams are passing a lot in the 2nd half to catch up to our lead. But we rank 5th in allowing just 3.6 yards per carry.

So while it's only been 2 games and our opponents have not been particularly good teams, the Carolina Panthers Defense has shown that it can execute at the highest levels with injuries and teams desperate to score. There doesn't seem to be a big weakness as the secondary is playing very well and our run defense is top tier. We have a potent offense coming up in week 3 in the Saints but they have so many problems as a team that things don't look very positive for them. Plus we should get Luke and Star back and Shaq is certainly coming in to his own and Bene is quietly having a very nice season thus far. Things are looking very good and of course...2-0 is a good thing. Every. Time.

Happy Monday Panthers fans.

I looked at some of the offense stats and they are basically middle of the pack in the NFC. Nothing too surprising there. Although we do have some of the most runs for 10 yards or more on the right side and the middle. But I'm guessing most of that is Cam running. There are some things to improve no doubt but the team seems built to win. We won't really know until we play Seattle I don't think. But each and every win is precious and I'll take each one no matter how we get it.

I looked at some of the offense stats and they are basically middle of the pack in the NFC. Nothing too surprising there. Although we do have some of the most runs for 10 yards or more on the right side and the middle. But I'm guessing most of that is Cam running. There are some things to improve no doubt but the team seems built to win. We won't really know until we play Seattle I don't think. But each and every win is precious and I'll take each one no matter how we get it.

I know it's a bit early, but did you compare the Defense stats with AFC teams at all? Just curious how we match up across the NFL. Great post!

I know it's a bit early, but did you compare the Defense stats with AFC teams at all? Just curious how we match up across the NFL. Great post!

No I haven't yet. Perhaps a bit later I will. I know our defense should be up there but I'm confident that Denver's D is balling out and likely leads in several stat categories. I'd be willing to bet we are top 5 though. Tonight's game will change some of the stats too. NYJ have a legit D.

No I haven't yet. Perhaps a bit later I will. I know our defense should be up there but I'm confident that Denver's D is balling out and likely leads in several stat categories. I'd be willing to bet we are top 5 though. Tonight's game will change some of the stats too. NYJ have a legit D.

Agreed. Denver and NY Jets should be a top the totem pole soon.

Archived