• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How about a little love for Pep?

unicar15

I glazed over most these posts, just because its the same song and dance, just in a different thread.

Here's my opinion on Peppers, take it or leave it. Bottom line, I'm glad he's on our team and not anyone else's. The dude is a physical freak, with more athletisicm than most. But the thing is, he can be BETTER. And thats what upsets me about him.

He relies on his physical abilities and very little technique. I love the guy, usually watch him every play, and I tend to see the same bull rush to the outside play in and play out. But because of his abilities, this usually works for him. Him playing at 80% (Just a random number, dont get hung up on it) is good for several pro bowl nods and double digits sacks each year, plus 17 million $$$ this year. If he took the time, sat down, and added a few wrinkles to his game (watch players like Everette Brown, several moves that he uses), who knows where his ceiling would be. There are very few plays where I see him go 100%, but when he does, you know it. Can't miss it. It usually ends in a ridiculous sack or tackle from behind (Vick seemed to bring this out of him, like Peppers was upset he wasn't the only "mega athletic" guy on the field).

I'm kinda rambling so I'll just say this, Peppers doesn't go 100% all the time because he doesn't have to, same with developing pass rush moves. His 80% or whatever is good enough to get him recognized as one of the better DE's in the league, so why should he exert himself to 100%? Fact is , he doesn't feel like he has to, and hasn't shown that he will. Still glad he's on our team, because I'd hate to see him change teams and than develop that 100% tenacity on a consistent basis.

I glazed over most these posts, just because its the same song and dance, just in a different thread.

Here's my opinion on Peppers, take it or leave it. Bottom line, I'm glad he's on our team and not anyone else's. The dude is a physical freak, with more athletisicm than most. But the thing is, he can be BETTER. And thats what upsets me about him.

He relies on his physical abilities and very little technique. I love the guy, usually watch him every play, and I tend to see the same bull rush to the outside play in and play out. But because of his abilities, this usually works for him. Him playing at 80% (Just a random number, dont get hung up on it) is good for several pro bowl nods and double digits sacks each year, plus 17 million $$$ this year. If he took the time, sat down, and added a few wrinkles to his game (watch players like Everette Brown, several moves that he uses), who knows where his ceiling would be. There are very few plays where I see him go 100%, but when he does, you know it. Can't miss it. It usually ends in a ridiculous sack or tackle from behind (Vick seemed to bring this out of him, like Peppers was upset he wasn't the only "mega athletic" guy on the field).

I'm kinda rambling so I'll just say this, Peppers doesn't go 100% all the time because he doesn't have to, same with developing pass rush moves. His 80% or whatever is good enough to get him recognized as one of the better DE's in the league, so why should he exert himself to 100%? Fact is , he doesn't feel like he has to, and hasn't shown that he will. Still glad he's on our team, because I'd hate to see him change teams and than develop that 100% tenacity on a consistent basis.

I'll quote myself on what I said in another thread

I really think and hope that we will get creative with Pep this year. Maybe give him what he wanted and mix in a few 3-4 packages and let him be the rush LB. Or more realistic let him line up all over the place. One play have him at DT, then LDE, Back to RDE, and maybe a few as a LB. Make offensive coordinators have nightmares about how to gameplan against him. If you want a guy like Pep, who most say has a motivation problem, to succeed you have to give him something to get excited about and this is how you do it.

How fun it would it be watching Pep try is hand at an 8 in the box Safety (I think he could play any position on D aside from maybe CB)?

the team mates voted jake delhomme captain

GUESS WE KNOW WHAT THEY REALLY THINK ABOUT STEVE SMITH

Actually, that just shows what they really think about Jake Delhomme. There are only so many spots to be filled.:rolleyes:

Anyway, Peppers is on this team whether you like it or not, so you might as well stop complaining about it. Me, I'm done with this. It's time to just kick back and watch the damn games instead of arguing about something that's not gonna change anyway.

Brayton looked more disruptive in the Saints-Panthers last matchup, although that probably says more about Peppers.

Brayton is vastly underrated by Panther fans. Since day one he's worked hard and towards the end of the season got a TON of pressures. While he didn't have the sack numbers he could have if he were faster, he did force a lot of bad throws and that's good enough to me. Not only that but he is pretty damn good against the run and overall a high motor guy, which we need on our line.

I'm sure a lot of people will say that's because they're sliding protection over to Peppers but they were sliding protection outside to deal with both of our DE's because our DT's weren't getting much push up the middle. If we can get just a little more push up the middle than last year, Brayton will have a breakout season as far as sack numbers are concerned.

Wrong as hell....it started before he was drafted for his half hearted effort at UNC, and couldn't decide between football and basketball.

Next...........

couldn't decide?

c'mon now. He was very good at both. Served his purpose well. And was drafted 2nd overall deservedly.

I love the guy but hate that he had thought of wanting to leave. I thought a line in the sand should have been drawn and he should have not been tagged but he is here now and nobody knows whether we suck or not yet. When that is determined it is not going to ever be determined that it is all his fault.

The Pep bashing is a bit silly to me. I think we will be very effective and you have to keep his paycheck and his productivity separate to give him a fair assessment of execution this season.

At this rate he could be All-Pro 15 sacks and two picks returned for TD's in close games and you could still say "he ain't worth 16 mil"

Julius Peppers wanted out of Carolina even after he was franchised for $1 million per game. He essentially said that $1 million per game was not enough to convince himself that he wanted to play for us and in front of us. He turned his back on us before we turned our back on him.

Peppers has been given nothing but "love" since he has been here, and he returned it to us by never giving any back and then trying to beg his way out of town. If his agent wasn't an incompetent moron, then he would already be playing in Dallas or New England or any other locale than here.

So for now, he's playing for $1 million a game and waiting to punch the clock on his 16 games and then heading out of town or holding us ransom again next year.

So why exactly has this player earned or deserved our support? Because he has played well? Yeah, that's half of the equation for sure. The other half is bleeding the same Panther blue that we as fans do and if you don't then get the hell out. As much poo as we talk about Jake Delhomme, you know he loves the team. I just wish that we could say the same about Peppers.

And yes, before it's accused of me I can tell the difference between a contract negotiation ploy and what a player truly feels about an organization. If you just want more money, you don't say the kind of things that Peppers said.

To hell with Julius Peppers. If his success coincides with the Panthers success, then i'll cheer for the Panthers success. I will not cheer for Julius Peppers' individual success.

couldn't decide?

c'mon now. He was very good at both. Served his purpose well. And was drafted 2nd overall deservedly.

I love the guy but hate that he had thought of wanting to leave. I thought a line in the sand should have been drawn and he should have not been tagged but he is here now and nobody knows whether we suck or not yet. When that is determined it is not going to ever be determined that it is all his fault.

The Pep bashing is a bit silly to me. I think we will be very effective and you have to keep his paycheck and his productivity separate to give him a fair assessment of execution this season.

At this rate he could be All-Pro 15 sacks and two picks returned for TD's in close games and you could still say "he ain't worth 16 mil"

You have some nerve, but at least you've got that.

Watch Troy Polamalu when he plays for the Steelers. I know he is a linebacker/safety, whatever, he can play it all, and he gives it his all. Pep has so much more physical talent, yet doesn't leave it all on the field like he does is all I am saying.

More than I can say for Pep.

Like it or not, with Pep go the Panthers.

Better learn to like it if you don't.

If you mean the quality of the roster and therefore their performance as a whole is tied to JP then yes, I agree with the above statement.

Some love for Peppers? The guy is a mercenary, and not to bright of one, as it is. He hosed himself and the Cats by refusing to sign the paperwork. The Pats' coach even said he was interested but wouldn't deal directly with a player. JP doesn't need any 'love' - he was all about the money and being somewhere else in the off-season, and he's here and getting paid 1 Mil a game now. I am pulling for him to do his job and for him to earn that paycheck.

As far as the 'so goes the Panthers', part, that has little to do with JP.

As JAKE goes, so goes the Panthers!

As our OL's ability to open holes, our RBs to run, and our coaches NOT to give up on the run so quickly like they did against the Cards that last game, SO GOES THE PANTHERS!

As goes our ability to stop the run, especially up the middle, so goes the Panthers.

As goes JP's counterpart (Brown who many say is little more than a situational pass rusher, so goes the Cats. (I hope he seriously proves them worng with his speed and ability!)

Most importantly, though, football is a TEAM sport, and their ain't no 'I' or 'JP' in team! As goes the TEAM, though, so goes the Panthers!

Archived