• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dear Seattle

Lilsmitty09

He's a real winner

You do whatever you want to do.  If you want to stay in the NW, good for you.  You want to come down here, good for you.  Don't let others tell you what to like, what to do, where to go.  Not sure how this got off on this tangent but you have been wanting to come here for years and if you changed your mind tomorrow it is none of anybody's business.  But, don't let anyone have more influence over you than you.  We all have opinions but as a person who has lived in 11 cities (including Monterey) home is where your heart is.  Home is where you want to be.  You do what you want to do.  To hell with all of us.  You Keep Pounding lilsmitty.

I can take the heat. Especially when it drops to the negative temps here. It doesn't get that cold there. I for one love seeing the Sun and blue skies rather than gray for 90 percent of the year, which tends to happen in the northwest. And there are plenty of "thugs" here too. It happens everywhere. In fact where I live near Seattle, it is one of the top places for crime in the country. So...try again.

Idk what you've seen so badly in the Carolinas. The two times I have been there I have absolutely fallen in love with it. Here there is virtually nothing. No beaches, no nice weather, grey days, only mountains. There you can go virtually anywhere to warm or cold weather, on top of it people are much nicer in the Carolinas too. Don't ever come to Washington expecting some hospitality. People up here don't give a poo bout anyone else

Man, I really hate to add to this tangent and bag on my home state, but here goes....

I moved from the Olympia/Lacey area to NC in 2011 and I have regretted it ever since. Granted, I didn't live IN SEATTLE, and no, my trips to Seattle weren't exactly thrilling, but western Washington (minus Seattle)> anywhere in NC. I remember taking a quick trip back to NC in summer 2010. I walked out of the airport and couldn't fuging breathe at all. It was like walking into a steaming vat of glue. The heat and humidity here are so much worse than the gray. This is coming from someone who found out just how real SAD can be.

I don't know what you're studying in school, and I hope it leads to a very satisfying and well paying career. In general, you'll be lucky to make 75% of the salary in NC as you would in WA. Then add to the top of that: state income taxes, annual vehicle taxes, and sales taxes on food. Every single one of my utilities increased at least twofold with similar (sometimes less) usage. Water quadrupled in cost. However, these are my experiences and, as always, your mileage may vary.

And I find your last two sentences entirely incorrect. Also, I lived just a few minutes from Tolmie State Park, which has a beach, and about 90 minutes from Ocean Shores.

I've lived all over the SE in my life. charleston, Asheville , Raleigh, Charlotte and Baton Rouge. 

BR-$.25 oysters and dollar coors light pitchers, along with being 45 minutes from the Big Easy is hard to beat. 

Raleigh and the uptown/college atmosphere isn't too bad either. Plus, you've got four full-seasons and a 2-hour drive to the mountains and the ocean, so that's pretty nice as well. 

charlottw...well, that's where my sweetheart lives and nothing can compare with that and they are finally building city-centers and condos where I can live the big-city life and all the sports associated with it excites me. 

there are more Yankee transplants here than locals and that's a Big-time downer as they mostly act like they are somehow superior in every way...when I snicker because I know they're More redneck and ignorant than anyone I grew up with here in NC.

laughable...but whatevs.

Saying that he's trading in rainy days for 100 plus degree summerssummers and everyone staying inside is exaggerating a tad. I'm upstate south Carolina, and it is normal to have low to mid 90's in summer, but it is fairly rare to reach the 100's. It happens, but maybe a couple times a summer at most. And people still get out in that temp. 

Carolinas north or south are great place to live, all areas have pros and cons, no matter what state you live in. But the positives in north and south Carolina outweigh the cons

Archived