• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much better is Polamalu?

Udogg

The out of bounds penalty was clear as day, the same with the facemask. What are you referring to??

when he launched on that play Johnson was NOT going out of bounds and was damn close to turning the last corner. Yes the contact occurred out of bounds but it was hardly "clear as day".

I'd be proud to have that penalty called on our defense.

the facemask was stupid and I totally missed the third.

go back to the other one he had the defensive pass INT penalty he had, he was looking back and the guy ran into him drawing a penalty. I'd also question the out of bounds one too...no matter what, he's all pro safety and I'm not sure the panthes have ever even had a pro bowl safety in how many years of playing football?

when he launched on that play Johnson was NOT going out of bounds and was damn close to turning the last corner. Yes the contact occurred out of bounds but it was hardly "clear as day".

I'd be proud to have that penalty called on our defense.

the facemask was stupid and I totally missed the third.

He had the angle on Johnson who clearly was running out of room. The other defender in front of polumalu had already ensured that Johnson was going out of bounds. Troy was in bounds when he launched but Johnson was not. It is something that happens all the time just like with Peppers on Rodgers. But it always called and was totally unnecessary. The facemask was clearly blatant. I would agree that the pass defense penalty was more arbitrary.

I think he actually does some of it on purpose to intimidate opponents and often gets away with it.

go back to the other one he had the defensive pass INT penalty he had, he was looking back and the guy ran into him drawing a penalty. I'd also question the out of bounds one too...no matter what, he's all pro safety and I'm not sure the panthes have ever even had a pro bowl safety in how many years of playing football?

When was the last time we drafted a safety in the first round? Minter was the highest in the second round, number 56 pick.

didn't we pick a safety in the 1st or second? like grant or anderson...no matter what we wasted the pick on a drug infested guy who never panned out...but we did spend a high pick on the position. wasn't Davis maybe a safety too?

didn't we pick a safety in the 1st or second? like grant or anderson...no matter what we wasted the pick on a drug infested guy who never panned out...but we did spend a high pick on the position. wasn't Davis maybe a safety too?

I was being lazy and didn't do my research. You are right that we have invested a few high picks on DB/safeties over the years.

In 2000 we picked Rashard Anderson listed as a DB, number 23 overall and Deon Grant in the second, number 57. And you are right that Davis was a safety when he was drafted although I always think of him as a linebacker. So technically we have spent some picks on safety over the years.

And obviously we have spent some high picks on corners like Tyrone Poole, Gamble, Marshall, and Martin this year.

Haven't had much success other than Minter and Davis at safety over the years.

I'll say this, and I love Harris and what he brings to the defense, that physical element that not a whole lot of other defensive players have on our team, but the difference between Polamalu and him is inconceivable. Troy is somewhere in the vicinity of where the ball stops on nearly every play. He has tremendous range and speed, and he plays with a hustle that no defensive back on our defense comes close to.

I'll say this, and I love Harris and what he brings to the defense, that physical element that not a whole lot of other defensive players have on our team, but the difference between Polamalu and him is inconceivable. Troy is somewhere in the vicinity of where the ball stops on nearly every play. He has tremendous range and speed, and he plays with a hustle that no defensive back on our defense comes close to.

His offseason regimen points towards his play.

Archived