• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Secondary. What Say You?

Jakob

I'm not concerned. We lost 2 staters to season ending injuries in the last month of the season. It's what we have so it's the best we can do. If anyone here knows enough about coverages to explain what we can do to alleviate this I'd love to here it since I do not. Getting down on these two guys now does nothing though.

People always say Arizona's receivers are better but I disagree. Kearse is a young James Jones, he doesn't get a ton of seperation but he catches absolutely everything. Lockett is just as fast and just as good as John Brown. Baldwin is at least as good as Larry Fitzgerald at this point in Fitz' career. 

Can someone answer a question I've had all week about our secondary matchup - we keep on talking about how we are matching up our corners against their WRs 1 on 1. However, don't we mostly play a zone scheme? When we talk about McClain having to chase Michael Floyd around the field for drives, is that actually true? Isn't it his job to take a portion of the field and ensure no one completes a pass in his zone? 

To me, it seems like the logical thing to do is to play a cover-3 zone with our safeties back to prevent the long ball and have the 2 best coverage LBs in the league roam the center of the field and punish whomever is dumb enough to go across the middle. I think we should let Palmer throw the 4-5 yard passes and try to beat us having to go the length of the field in 20 plays. There is no way he can drive down the field throwing short passes without making a mistake.

Not excusing it, but Wilsons scrambling ability coupled with Seattle's WRs uncanny ability to always get open space no matter who they're against was always going to cause trouble when Seattle had to go pass first in the second half. It wasn't an issue in the first half because they were trying to run the ball and we made that a non factor which caused Wilson to panic on the pass rush and turn the ball over

50 minutes ago, Adb6368 said:

Can someone answer a question I've had all week about our secondary matchup - we keep on talking about how we are matching up our corners against their WRs 1 on 1. However, don't we mostly play a zone scheme? When we talk about McClain having to chase Michael Floyd around the field for drives, is that actually true? Isn't it his job to take a portion of the field and ensure no one completes a pass in his zone? 

To me, it seems like the logical thing to do is to play a cover-3 zone with our safeties back to prevent the long ball and have the 2 best coverage LBs in the league roam the center of the field and punish whomever is dumb enough to go across the middle. I think we should let Palmer throw the 4-5 yard passes and try to beat us having to go the length of the field in 20 plays. There is no way he can drive down the field throwing short passes without making a mistake.

Or cover 2 man, but Seattle play Cover 3 and shut Arizona down just a few weeks ago. I haven't watched Arizona much lately, but knowing Palmer stance and release I'm pretty sure his game isn't getting the ball out in 2-3 secs like Brady or Wilson

1 hour ago, Omega Atrocity said:

People always say Arizona's receivers are better but I disagree. Kearse is a young James Jones, he doesn't get a ton of seperation but he catches absolutely everything. Lockett is just as fast and just as good as John Brown. Baldwin is at least as good as Larry Fitzgerald at this point in Fitz' career. 

Seattle has 1 receiver in the top 40 (in yards)...Arizona has 3.  Fitz still was in the top 10 this year in yards, Baldwin was 21st.  Stats don't tell everything and while I don't think Seattle's other two receivers are bad, they are good...they aren't as good as Arizona's from what I've seen.

8 minutes ago, beastson said:

Or cover 2 man, but Seattle play Cover 3 and shut Arizona down just a few weeks ago. I haven't watched Arizona much lately, but knowing Palmer stance and release I'm pretty sure his game isn't getting the ball out in 2-3 secs like Brady or Wilson

I don't really put all that much stock in that last game.  Arizona knew they couldn't improve their seeding.

34 minutes ago, stankowalski said:

Seattle has 1 receiver in the top 40 (in yards)...Arizona has 3.  Fitz still was in the top 10 this year in yards, Baldwin was 21st.  Stats don't tell everything and while I don't think Seattle's other two receivers are bad, they are good...they aren't as good as Arizona's from what I've seen.

Arizona also bombed it deep a lot more than Seattle. I haven't really done any research (stat wise) to back up my opinion, I just think based on watching both groups they are about even. And that's not me trying to take away anything from Arizona, I just think Seattle's receivers are quite good and the myth about them not having any is just that.

23 hours ago, The Lone Panther said:

Our defense gets tired in the second half because we normally build up a fairly large lead in the first half, so then we get conservative on offense.  And every time we go conservative on offense, that usually means a 3&out, which then puts our defense back on the field with very limited rest time.

We need to do exactly what we did with our second offensive possession against Seattle.  A balance of run & pass, march right down the field, keep the clock moving, and getting a TD.  That keeps Arizona's offense off the field and our defense fresh.  So when our defense does go back on the field, they're ready to bring the pain and force a punt, giving our offense the ball back, and a tired Cardinal defense.  Need to win the time of possession in this game.  

I echo everything you said and agree with the strategy. I guess I'm just concerned of what the panthers seem to be prone to doing once the lead is built up. I understand that 4th quarter and the lead means you have to run the clock, but I think they took their foot off the gas way too early in the Seattle game. Something I heard somebody either on NFL network or ESPN said struck me which was that, if it was Tom Brady and the Patriots that had a 31-0 lead, their mindset coming into the second half would've been, lets go for 60-0. I don't see anything wrong with that, and I hope the Panthers apply that kind of mentality come Sunday if they are to build up another big lead. 

19 hours ago, Omega Atrocity said:

Arizona also bombed it deep a lot more than Seattle. I haven't really done any research (stat wise) to back up my opinion, I just think based on watching both groups they are about even. And that's not me trying to take away anything from Arizona, I just think Seattle's receivers are quite good and the myth about them not having any is just that.

Very well known that Arizona is a big play team.  Loves the bomb and has the receivers and QB to do it.   Problem is, their line has been owned lately.   This plays into our hands.   QB has to hold the ball longer giving our front 7 the time to get after the QB.

Well get 5+ sacks.

On 1/20/2016 at 5:52 AM, stirs said:

Everything comes down to the DLine and its ability to pressure Palmer.

If we get after him like the 1st qtr play of the game against Seattle, then he makes mistakes.  If not, and he has time, we are in trouble.

Very simple

mistakes indeed

Archived