• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Giants Feeling Pretty Confident... Cocky Maybe?

beastson

Members of the media who regularly cover the Giants were certain what Tom Coughlin would give them today at his regular Wednesday news conference: a tight-lipped countenance, short answers offering little information and perhaps a flash of anger at questions he didn�t take kindly to.

The Giants understand the importance of Sunday's against the Carolina Panthers

Well surprise, surprise. The Giants� head coach hopped up onto the podium in the Giants Stadium press room and was smiling, excited and upbeat. He cracked a joke or two and briefly broke out into jumping jacks at one point.

What got into Coughlin? More accurately, it�s what didn�t get into him � the losses the last two weeks to Philadelphia and Dallas. Though they stung him as all defeats do, Coughlin has moved on to this week�s home game with the Carolina Panthers, a clash of 11-3 squads with the winner earning home field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs.

�How could it be any better than this?� Coughlin said. �� it is terrific. Can you imagine being this time of year, being 11-3 and playing at home for the chance to have a first round bye and play at home throughout the playoffs? Think about that - just think about it a minute. If you can�t be excited about this, I�m not sure what the heck you can be excited about.�

Coughlin�s message to the team was similar: the last two weeks are no longer important. What matters is the next game. The Giants, who clinched the NFC East title 10 days ago, can still accomplish the rest of their regular season goals, which include a first round bye and home field advantage.

They can�t achieve those objectives by dwelling on the losses to the Eagles and Cowboys. As Coughlin pointed out and the players concurred, the Giants are still in a very good position.

Linebacker Antonio Pierce said, �Did any of you writers have us at 11-3? No, so that tells you right there what kind of spot we are in. Not one writer can look me in the face and say they had us winning the division. Not one writer thought we�d be in this position. So how do you think we feel? We feel great and now we really have another chance to put another look on your faces after we go out here on Sunday and hopefully play very well.�

�We have to put everything behind us,� quarterback Eli Manning said. �We have to bounce back and this is a big game. We can�t have our heads down or be pouting or thinking about the last two weeks. This is the game that is important right now and you can�t get a bigger one than this, so we are excited about that opportunity.�

Center Shaun O�Hara pointed out that this game would be critical even if the Giants had won in Dallas.

�I don�t think anybody really has to fight to be excited about this game,� O�Hara said. �I think you could put the last two weeks behind us, because the reality is whether we won or lost last week, we still have to play this game and this game still means a lot. Even if we had beaten the Cowboys, we would still have to come in here and beat the Carolina Panthers. It still has those kinds of implications and I think we are all well aware of that.

�The one thing that this team has done a great job of and I think we are going to do it this week as well is putting the previous week behind us, whether we won or lost, and stepping up to whatever the challenge is this week. Obviously, it is a great challenge, but it is also a great opportunity.�

That�s why everyone on the team is so excited, despite the disappointments of the previous two weeks.

http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=33313

I see that differently, I see it as Coughlin trying to keep his team from getting tight. Nothing wrong with it IMO. Part of leadership is setting an example. If he shows that he is uptight, his team may take that on. It's not like he is some soft serve cone like Wade Phillips where his team gets destroyed and he says they played well.

Well IMO, I take it as cockiness. Its one thing being calm and relaxed, but doing jumping jacks is a totally different thing. Its a different message

Its like playing basketball outside. While everybody on the court about to play, one person goes to the sideline stretches, yawns and takes his time to get on the court. Its like this is a walk in the park, its easy. Not taking it serious, that you can get your ass bust out there

Simple actions on TC's part.......................he nervous.......really nervous..... cause he knows his team's situation and what he's going to be up against with the Panthers.......

Jumping Jacks?...........hehe.................he's all ball upped nerves inside baby......

Look out on Sunday Giants!

I would call that cocky really, just kind of pumped up for this weeks game like the rest of the east coast. All I would say is where Antonio Pierce said this...

�Did any of you writers have us at 11-3? No, so that tells you right there what kind of spot we are in. Not one writer can look me in the face and say they had us winning the division. Not one writer thought we�d be in this position. So how do you think we feel? We feel great and now we really have another chance to put another look on your faces after we go out here on Sunday and hopefully play very well.�

Yeah thats true but how many sports writers put us in the same spot? Yeah the Giants were not looking to good the first game of the season and we still did not get any credit when we were 8-2, but now and only now do we get any credit. I think the Giants think we are just some lonely team coming to get whooped behind the wood shed, thats not going to happen though, I am predicting upset alert for Giants... :)

i see it as a facade. people are going to expect to see some fear from them since 1) they are playing poorly and just lost not only one of their key players but also 2 games in a row and 2) they are playing who many consider to be the hottest team in the NFL right now and 3) it is going to not only be on prime time but for the #1 seed and homefield advantage which losing that to the panthers who are undefeated at home doesn't bode well for their desire to repeat.

when you are going into a fight that you know you aren't ready for you have 3 choices....fall down and accept defeat early, pretend it isn't that big of a deal, or start beating your chest and try to get your adrenaline pumping and try to pull the fight out of you. the latter is what i see coughlin doing.

I see that differently, I see it as Coughlin trying to keep his team from getting tight. Nothing wrong with it IMO. Part of leadership is setting an example. If he shows that he is uptight, his team may take that on. It's not like he is some soft serve cone like Wade Phillips where his team gets destroyed and he says they played well.

ding ding.

But their players have got to be wondering if they can win a game like this without their star receiver, when they have lost the last two w/o him. If I were the Panthers, I would be trying to get in their heads early. Reminding them of the last two games, and keeping the doubt in their minds. They are not cocky, but I don't think they are real confident.

Archived