• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Analyzing Delhomme's Interceptions

MurkN

As many times as I've watched that play of the first INT does no one else see the ball tipped by the linebacker altering the ball behind Smith? Am I absolutely crazy because I haven't seen anyone say that at all, to me its obvious. I hear people say that Smith tipped the ball which he did but the ball was deflected before it got to Smith.

I didn't get a good luck and never actually saw the ball get tipped, but the way the ball was moving made me assume it was tipped.

So we saw King open. And Deangelo 7 yards behind the first down marker. You didn't show Barnidge open which happened when he threw to Moose on the deep out. How about the time Smitty was wide open by 10 yards on the left sideline and he threw to Rosario who dropped it.

I saw a bunch of blurry pictures, a couple of guys open and little else to draw any conclusions from.

I don't suppose it occurred to anyone that on any given pass play there are often guys open. In fact many times defenders will watch the quarterback and flow to the ball leaving their guy open or in the case of De Angelo give up the short pass to defend the longer one.

Hardly the smoking gun.

Thanks guys I'll have to do some more analysis on these plays throughout the season. I added some pictures for the third interception to my first post. Here is another one that was actually successful.

For anyone thinking that Jarrett can't get open here is an example.

fekrro.png

On this play, I'm guessing Delhomme only reads the right side of the field. He looks in the direction of Moose and Williams as the play develops and eventually drops it off to Williams.

Jarrett was on the other side of the field and got open on the out route. If Jake would have seen this, Jarrett had a shot at his big catch and maybe even his first touchdown as we were down in the redzone.

It just seems to me that Jake only goes through the first two progressions in a play. Once he drops back he looks on one side of the field and then goes down the list through his progression for that side. It was either take a chance at Moose or dump it off to Williams on that play.

Nice post. Doesn't it just piss you off OP? You know we wouldn't have these issues where Smitty is the only deep thread if Jake would spread the damn the ball around. And you know the only time he actually does that is when Smith is not in the game. This is why I suggested that Jake not practice with Smitty in TC. He has to get it out of his head that Steve Smith is Steve Smith and actually hit the open man every once in a while.

Good job on the Jarrett analysis and my first reaction is that Jake has to recognize presnap that they will have a LB on a WR. To me thats a mismatch even if Jarrett is a little slow. Jake should know that he is running the quick out and with a linebacker in bad position presnap it should be there. Maybe he just doesn't trust Jarrett, the throw he made could have easily been stopped if it weren't for Wiliams being an outstanding football player.

Then again he never even looked that way so maybe it was set up to be a quick route to Wiliams.

Yes, we know it's obvious that Jake focuses too much on Smitty, but thanks for providing actual proof and analysis, rather than everyone just assuming that was the problem. Damn, were all the interceptions in that game thrown towards Smith?

That's why I think Moore looked more poised in the pocket (not saying he's the f**king future for sure, and I know it was prevent all day by that point). He has no favorites on the field, he was just looking for white shirts that were open. Jake needs to learn how to read the field. Moore seems to already know the importance of it...it's sad that a 12 year vet hasn't figured it out by now.

....sorry, not trying to turn this into a 'start moore' thread.

You know I was going to do my startmattmoore impersonation once I read Jake force the ball to Steve too much. I was going to say

Matt Moore doesn't force to Steve

But you beat me to it

So its a waste of time saying it now :auto:

Its easy to look at a play and see whats right or wrong when you have had 3 days.

Try 3 seconds.....

However, people bitch when Smith DOESNT get the ball, and at the 1/2 he only had 2 receptions.

Now if your a QB, and your behind, and there is a STAR WR who has carried your team before- WHY WOULD YOU NOT try to get him the ball.

Jake gets it both ways; if he doesnt throw to Smith he gets crap, and when he trys to let Smith carry the team and it doesnt work out, he is an ass. But when it does, its SMITH bailing Jake out...

Its just a Jake thing with folks. But in reality its football.

The coaches will call plays for their playmakers when the game is at stake.

For all we know Davidson said; you will get Smith the ball....

Blahhh. Blahh... Blahh....

The game is over... we lost, look forward to Sunday.....

Archived