• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Analyzing Delhomme's Interceptions

MurkN

After taking many different looks and angles from the different interceptions Jake threw this past Sunday, I think it is clear that Jake forces the ball to Steve Smith far too often. Now before you say 'it doesn't take a genius to figure that one out', let's take a look at the open receivers on the same plays Jake threw INTs.

2lwvdef.png

Notice that before the ball was even snapped, Steve Smith was lined up in the slot. One of the Eagle defenders mentioned that anytime Smitty is in the slot he is the main target on the pass play (as if he isn't on the others :rolleyes:). As the play develops, Jake has time to throw and the ball gets thrown behind Smith and is tipped and picked off.

Now normally we would just credit this interception to Jake throwing behind the receiver or blame it on Smitty for tipping it while trying to catch it. As you can clearly see however, Jeff King is wide open. Who knows if Barnidge was open because he was just off screen. I understand Smitty could have caught this and made a nice gain if the pass was on target, but if he just throws it King we get the same yardage and have no threat of being picked off.

2d9r8yr.png

On the second interception, again, Jake has time to look downfield and looks off a potential open receiver. The next read is Smith, who is clearly not open. He throws the ball anyway and the ball gets intercepted. Even if Jake checks it down to DeAngelo, he could have probably picked up the yards if he just runs straight ahead or more if he breaks a tackle.

Later on the next interception, Jake is clearly in trouble. We come out in a 3 WR set with an extra TE in to block. The defense lines up in man to man and shifts a DT out in a linebacker position while keeping four guys on the line. The actual linebacker on the play is up at the line, closer than the DT, and when the play begins the linebacker picks up Kalil.

2ihug5u.png

This allows the DT to rush in clean, straight to the quarterback. By this time Jake's first read was DeAngelo out of the backfield. While the other linebacker was coming over to pick up DeAngelo Williams, I think he could have kept running outside if he would have gotten the ball. Jake has no time to look downfield after this because he keeps backing up and gets sacked and fumbles. :puke:

The interception on the screen pass was also a dumb mistake. Before the pressure arrives, DeAngelo is open on the screen, but once the pressure gets into his face Jake cannot see where he is but throws it to his area anyway. The results weren't good obviously. The final interception was when Jake dropped back and heaved a prayer up to Smith but not with much touch on the ball and is underthrown.

It will be interesting to see how Delhomme responds this week, but if he needs to concentrate on anything it needs to be the other receivers not named Steve Smith.

thank you for your homework. the visuals really say a ton. for god's sake, he needs to concentrate on throwing to the open receiver and ONLY the open receiver. try that for 3 quarters and see if smitty doesn't get a nice look over the top for 6 and some dancing.

Yes, we know it's obvious that Jake focuses too much on Smitty, but thanks for providing actual proof and analysis, rather than everyone just assuming that was the problem. Damn, were all the interceptions in that game thrown towards Smith?

That's why I think Moore looked more poised in the pocket (not saying he's the f**king future for sure, and I know it was prevent all day by that point). He has no favorites on the field, he was just looking for white shirts that were open. Jake needs to learn how to read the field. Moore seems to already know the importance of it...it's sad that a 12 year vet hasn't figured it out by now.

....sorry, not trying to turn this into a 'start moore' thread.

I've said many times before...

Jake Delhomme can't read the field.

He just can't, watch his head after a snap, he will be pinned on one guy and will never look another way unless it's too late and he looks for someone else and takes a sack or fumbles.

Not only can he not read the field, he can't move around in the pocket.

MurkN, great job, I tried something similar to this in a different thread (albeit without pics) and I got hammered. One thing I'd like to point out is the pocket Jake has to throw in on both of those plays...its perfect. No rush, no guys in his face, no missed blocking assignments. He wasn't rushed or flustered or being hit. He had a nice pocket and was even able to step into his throw. As far as the int's were concerned the offensive line wasn't to blame. Pull up a few more clips like that, I love diagnosing the plays.

Steve Young once commented that Jake doesn't read the entire field, but rather he only reads half the field. The first play where Jake misses King has happened many times. Jake actually got yelled at by the black TE we had when Jake missed him a few years back. The black TE (I forget his name) flipped out and started jumping up and down and yelling "I WAS WIDE OPEN". It was the same play you just showed. Jake ran over to the TE and screamed at him "CUT THAT SH!T OUT!" So yeah I've seen what you showed in those images many times.

Steve Young once commented that Jake doesn't read the entire field, but rather he only reads half the field. The first play where Jake misses King has happened many times. Jake actually got yelled at by the black TE we had when Jake missed him a few years back. The black TE (I forget his name) flipped out and started jumping up and down and yelling "I WAS WIDE OPEN". It was the same play you just showed. Jake ran over to the TE and screamed at him "CUT THAT SH!T OUT!" So yeah I've seen what you showed in those images many times.

Jermaine Wiggins was decent in the passing game in minnesota, or was it Michael Gaines?

As many times as I've watched that play of the first INT does no one else see the ball tipped by the linebacker altering the ball behind Smith? Am I absolutely crazy because I haven't seen anyone say that at all, to me its obvious. I hear people say that Smith tipped the ball which he did but the ball was deflected before it got to Smith.

Archived