• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tom Clancy's The Division video game

stankowalski

8 hours ago, Growl said:

The biggest issue I've had so far is the bullet sponge nature  of the enemies. Makes tactical shooter play kind of pointless.

How so?  It still requires some tactics, especially if you amp up the difficulty.  You can't just run and gun or you'll get put down quick.

19 hours ago, Growl said:

The biggest issue I've had so far is the bullet sponge nature  of the enemies. Makes tactical shooter play kind of pointless.

Don't think of it as a shooter, think of it as a loot RPG heavily focused towards PVP. The shooting system for hits is accuracy based, but the damage system is 100% RPG. I do get kinda what your saying, but even the heavily fortified enemies and bosses have ways/weaknesses to get much higher damage numbers.

8 hours ago, stankowalski said:

If I could kill enemies in this game in a couple of shots, I'd be nearly invincible.

Well for starters I don't think that'd be the case. You get swarmed by so many enemies at points that I don't think that's true. Regardless, I think a more ideal scenario is having more realistic damage both ways along with having fewer enemies to fight. I mean how many employees does the NYC Waste Management division really employ, because I killed at least a couple hundred of them in a single mission alone last night 

5 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Don't think of it as a shooter, think of it as a loot RPG heavily focused towards PVP. The shooting system for hits is accuracy based, but the damage system is 100% RPG. I do get kinda what your saying, but even the heavily fortified enemies and bosses have ways/weaknesses to get much higher damage numbers.

Yeah, I know, it's just frustrating when me and a compatriot flawlessly pull off a legitimate combat move only for it to not matter. A couple well placed sniper shots without being seen on the biggest combat threats should be rewarding, instead they simply absorb the bullets and a horde of enemies swarm my position, shooting me from a half a foot away because the magazine I just laid into them did no damage (talking about the yellow bar boss battles, for instance)

I guess i get that that isn't the genre, but I just feel as if maybe the game would be better if it took more steps that direction. As it is, the 'tactical ' nature of the game is really only derived from the overly complicated gear and equipment system.

2 hours ago, Growl said:

Yeah, I know, it's just frustrating when me and a compatriot flawlessly pull off a legitimate combat move only for it to not matter. A couple well placed sniper shots without being seen on the biggest combat threats should be rewarding, instead they simply absorb the bullets and a horde of enemies swarm my position, shooting me from a half a foot away because the magazine I just laid into them did no damage (talking about the yellow bar boss battles, for instance)

I guess i get that that isn't the genre, but I just feel as if maybe the game would be better if it took more steps that direction. As it is, the 'tactical ' nature of the game is really only derived from the overly complicated gear and equipment system.

It just may not be a game for you.  Not everybody will like it.  I play everything from ARMA which is super realistic, to COD, to Battlefield, to now this.  They are all different and each has their pluses and minuses.  From what you are saying your gripes are and what you would like, you should try ARMA if you haven't already.

One thing I've really noticed about this game so far is that the attachments you put on your weapon really do affect the handling and performance of the weapon.  More than COD and Battlefield anyway.  

For what this game is supposed to be I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  I'm still a bit worried about the end game as I am with all "MMO's" but I'm not there yet so I guess I'll see when I get there.  BTW, technically I wouldn't even really consider this an MMO.  In the world you run around in you are alone.  There are no other player's in it.  Just NPC enemies.  Except for the Dark Zone.  And except if you invite a friend or something.

On 3/11/2016 at 0:54 PM, stankowalski said:

One thing I've really noticed about this game so far is that the attachments you put on your weapon really do affect the handling and performance of the weapon.  More than COD and Battlefield anyway.  

For what this game is supposed to be I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  I'm still a bit worried about the end game as I am with all "MMO's" but I'm not there yet so I guess I'll see when I get there.  BTW, technically I wouldn't even really consider this an MMO.  In the world you run around in you are alone.  There are no other player's in it.  Just NPC enemies.  Except for the Dark Zone.  And except if you invite a friend or something.

Man, I am loving the attachments!  Getting a stability grip on any assault rifle makes them so much more usable.  

After watching some of the streamers' and youtubers' videos about the challenge modes of missions, I'm not sure they will be compelling to the more casual gamer.  I really enjoy the game, but I'm level 6, and did the first two wings (Meds and Security).  So I am only basing my view of the end game on what others have done.  

Some folks are into fighting all level 32 elite NPCs who can one shot you, but what is the goal?  Maybe the incursions will help to define that better as the game continues.  I mean, once you finish your base, you can do your daily story missions (3 per day) which are harder than normal (or go to challenge mode, and those missions can go for over an hour with 4 high end equiped characters...).  Or you can go to the Dark Zone for loot and PVP.

I think The Division really hit the nail on the head for the early part.  I love the building of the base, collecting outfits (I did get the pompom beanie!), and the leveling up.  But after that, you're just chasing more DPS and stats.  I mean, I'll have to get there first.  I've got a fair amount of Destiny experience as I grounded up to 290ish (alas no raids yets, just need time).  You're doing the same DPS/light chase, but the game flows more quickly.  And plugging millions of headshot damage into a HUMAN NPCs head is a bit much for me.  I have no problem blasting ogres or minotaurs with tons of damage because of their inhuman nature.

Anyone running the challenge modes and dailies yet?  What do you think?

So how do I communicate with the other players in the main quest missions? I've done some time in a party in the DZ, but whenever I do a quest mission I can't hear anybody nor can they hear me. Is there no in-game audio system? 

7 minutes ago, Growl said:

So how do I communicate with the other players in the main quest missions? I've done some time in a party in the DZ, but whenever I do a quest mission I can't hear anybody nor can they hear me. Is there no in-game audio system? 

Check the settings.  I think you have to hold down a button for voice chat.  Might be "C"

Archived