• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If it came down to..

the greatest

2 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Here'z the dealeo. Normally you want your 1st, and 2nd round picks to fight for a starting spot. And in some cases maybe even your 3rd. Where do we need for those 2-3 players to play? 

D-line can be a good spot for a rookie. Unfortunately, we don't have a spot open for him. You would be drafting for the future. We do need to worry about CJs replacement. But we also have a bunch of kids we like. We do need some depth at DT. Just not sure you use a 1 or a 2 on depth. But then again, the way we rotate. Why not?

We rotate our Dline pretty heavily, as you say, and right now we have 2 vacancies at DT with Edwards gone, and Love not (yet) re-signed. 

DT seems a pretty high priority, and very definitely a position I can see G'man going for in round 1 and/or round 2.  With both KK & Star reaching the end of their rookie deals (though we have Star's 5th year option), it makes sense to get solid DT depth in case we can't sign one of them.

FYI, here are the 2015-2016 snap counts for our DTs (includes post season)

• Kawann Short — 897
  • Star Lotulelei — 633
  • Dwan Edwards — 447
  • Kyle Love — 343
  • Colin Cole — 49

2 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

tl/dr version. If you read all that. Thank you.

That's a great tl/dr!  I'll have to remember that given that I write some pretty long posts!

Do the people who say we don't need WRs realize that we lost nearly 500 yards due solely to drops by our WRs on catchable balls (that's the most in the NFL)?  And at least 6 TDs?  With a legitimate WR corps, the Broncos could not have defended us in the manner they did in the SB.

Getting Kelvin back is going to be great - but it's not going to completely solve the two biggest problems our WRs have - consistently and quickly getting open and catching the ball.

In a perfect world, I'd love a stud DE in the first round.  But we are picking at 30 so you've got to take what falls.  I won't be shocked at all if we end up picking a WR in the first few rounds.  Despite our recent draft pick investments at the position, we are not set.  We are still in the bottom half of the league in WR talent.  And I'm all for giving Cam more weapons so we can stop running him 10 times a game - and can still have the #1 offense in the NFL.

Personally, I'd draft Shepard before Doctson.  Doctson might ultimately be the better pro, but his skill set overlaps with KB/Funchess (even if he is the best athlete among that group).  Shepard just fits our team so well - he is exactly what our WR corps lacks.  Incredible hands (2% drop rate in college), best route runner in the draft, great athlete, good YAC ability, and gets open quickly and consistently.  He's ready to contribute immediately.  My ideal draft would probably look something like Dodd/Lawson @ 30 and trading up for Shepard in the 2nd - but i'm not sure any of those guys fall that far.

2 hours ago, johnnydefence said:

@the greatest, their is going to be a great skills player at 30. 

The Draft is 15-20 deep with 1st round hog mollies. Then u got teams that have quarterback needs. Plus teams with LB needs. 

By the time 30 rolls around there should be above average talent for what it's typically slotted in the 30th pick.

I agree thats why i wouldn't be surprised if we went skill player at 30, but to the same degree i wouldn't be surprised if we went OL or DL #gettlemagic

23 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Hoping that is what we do, if that is what is needed to land Bullard.

Honestly,  I believe G-man's going to do it.  He knows there's a high probability he will have to cut a draft pick this year.  

So why not trade the pick. move up in the draft and take a player like Jonathan?  IMO

52 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Hoping that is what we do, if that is what is needed to land Bullard.

Bullard or Kaufusi in the second round, along with whoever we pick up in the first round... Its looking good boys 

Theres probably a high graded second round Lineman that DG has that we dont know about, who knows haha

10 minutes ago, the greatest said:

Bullard or Kaufusi in the second round, along with whoever we pick up in the first round... Its looking good boys

Theres probably a high graded second round Lineman that DG has that we dont know about, who knows haha

Bullard looks like he lives in the backfield. I think those TFLs are soo underated. People go crazy for sacks, but there is little difference between sacking the QB for a loss or tackling the RB for a loss. That play that Star made on Marshawn in the Seahawks game had me stoked. Give me a line full of guys that can do that.

Gettleman thinking: "screw tha otha rounds, I'll just sign a bunch a futyah pro-bowlahs from the UDFA pool and save some caysh.. bup bup bup"

9 hours ago, stirs said:

Take one of the DE's

If all 3 are still available, trade down about 5 spots, pick up another pick and still get one of the DE's

I think trading down is lining up perfectly for us. The QBs of the draft have seen their stock fall over the past few weeks from potential top-10 to late first round. With us sitting at 30, I guarantee a team will want to move up to guarantee the 5th year on a QB still on the board. Trading down in this position is a no brainer, assuming a can't miss prospect isn't still on the board (a la Star).

9 hours ago, panthernation8923 said:

We dont need more recievers

And we didn't "need" another LB last year, but I'm glad we drafted Shaq. I agree with you that we pass on doctson if any any of the other players listed are there, but who knows what G-man will do.

I would trade down into the upper 2nd round pick up another 3rd rounder possibly with another 4th or 5th rounder and select the BPA with the high 2nd round pick.  Most of the players we would be able to draft sitting at 30 would still possibly be there at a high 2nd rounder.  The grades don't really change from 30th pick to lets say 5th in the 2nd round... maybe something like this... courtesy of www.first-pick.com

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 4 (S.D.): Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana (A-)
Round 2 Pick 31: Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma (A-)
Round 3 Pick 30: Charles Tapper, DE, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 4 Pick 4 (S.D.): Landon Turner, OG, North Carolina (A+)
Round 4 Pick 31: Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA (A)
Round 5 Pick 29: Harlan Miller, CB, Southeastern Louisiana (A+)
Round 6 Pick 4 (S.D.): Justin Simmons, FS, Boston College (B)
Round 7 Pick 31: Mike Thomas, WR, Southern Mississippi (B+)

All the trade down talks, the value of the 5th year option can't be understated.  The 5th year option helped us delay Cam's contract, which helped us inch out way out of cap hell.  It's going to help us resign both Star and Short so we don't have to try to do both contracts in the same year.  We trade out of the 1st and we don't have the 5th year option as a tool in the future.  Gettleman knows this.

10 hours ago, the greatest said:

what do you guys think about trading up in the second round like we did last year?

Depends on what we'd have to give up. We gave our 6th and 7th picks to Seattle and Chicago, right? It would have to be a pretty sure thing player to give up one of our limited picks.

Archived