• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1st Round RBs vs. 2nd and 3rd Round RBs The Past 10 or so Years

Ricky Spanish

9 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

Only a little over a week until this annoying debate can end....God have mercy...

It's only going to get angrier.

Somebody will call for Gettlemsn to be fired and the term nutgugger will be used yet again.

10 minutes ago, csx said:

It's only going to get angrier.

Somebody will call for Gettlemsn to be fired and the term nutgugger will be used yet again.

Your right it will take years for this to be settled but if there is a God he will only make us endure this till after the draft :P

You can argue about draft position/worth until you are blue in the face. Most of it is all merely opinion based. Different people have different ideas of what their needs may be, we've had these back and forth arguments for years here. It never changes.

Think about this.

What if we did not have Jonathan Stewart in the playoffs? He had nearly 200 rushing yards combined against Seattle, and Arizona. We've seen what our offense looks like when our run game cannot get it done, and we have to lean on Cam to compensate. If you remove Stewart's performances from that equation, we in all likelihood would not be in SB50.

If we don't pick Henry, I won't be mad at all. But if we do, I understand it. Certainly Gettleman knows what he is doing.

27 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Deangelo may behave like a man child, but he is still our all time leading rusher.

Stewart is a damn beast, if you don't think he was worth a first rounder, you should probably just take a break. Also, anyone here who remembers when Double Trouble was literally stampeding defenses, like that game against Tampa Bay that eventually got Gruden fired, should be able to understand the importance of their contributions.

Seems to be alot of selective memory being applied around here just for people to convince themselves.

Besides, Gettleman is not going to throw a huge contract at a running back, and we have the rookie wage scale now. So please, just spare us the sky is falling scenarios already. Kthxbye.

Like I said at the beginning, my metrics and measurements as to what I deem "worth" a first round pick is completely arbitrary and completely my own opinion. I personally can't justify 1 or 2 good seasons out of 10 being worthy of a first round pick. Maybe my expectations of a first round pick RB are too high, but I personally don't think so. Were they contributors? Of course. Did I enjoy those two years they killed it? Immensely. Having the benefit of hindsight though, would I have rather spent those first round picks on someone else who could have provided more consistency at another position? Yes I would have. 

I don't think the sky is falling by any means, I just don't like taking RBs in the first round. 

3 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Like I said at the beginning, my metrics and measurements as to what I deem "worth" a first round pick is completely arbitrary and completely my own opinion. I personally can't justify 1 or 2 good seasons out of 10 being worthy of a first round pick. Maybe my expectations of a first round pick RB are too high, but I personally don't think so. Were they contributors? Of course. Did I enjoy those two years they killed it? Immensely. Having the benefit of hindsight though, would I have rather spent those first round picks on someone else who could have provided more consistency at another position? Yes I would have. 

I don't think the sky is falling by any means, I just don't like taking RBs in the first round. 

To be clear, I wasn't intending to direct that solely at you. Much of it was just an observation about some of the general remarks lately.

As for where they were drafted, I get why you would question it. But doing so now almost a decade later just to prove a point about a completely different draft prospect in a different time in the league when crucial changes have occurred since then just seems to me like grasping at straws. It's not necessary.

Anyways, you could play the "what if" game regarding players we've drafted over the years all day long. I'm not really trying to look behind, I want to know what's ahead, ya know? What happened in the past isn't going to change anyway, so let's move forward.

Like I said, I'm good whether we draft him or not. I just don't see the need to drag all this other stuff into it.

12 minutes ago, TheRed said:

To be clear, I wasn't intending to direct that solely at you. Much of it was just an observation about some of the general remarks lately.

As for where they were drafted, I get why you would question it. But doing so now almost a decade later just to prove a point about a completely different draft prospect in a different time in the league when crucial changes have occurred since then just seems to me like grasping at straws. It's not necessary.

Anyways, you could play the "what if" game regarding players we've drafted over the years all day long. I'm not really trying to look behind, I want to know what's ahead, ya know? What happened in the past isn't going to change anyway, so let's move forward.

Like I said, I'm good whether we draft him or not. I just don't see the need to drag all this other stuff into it.

Fair enough, but after I looked at all the prospects that were taken, it really hit me how often RBs get injured. That's seriously my biggest problem with taking one in the first now. History shows RBs don't last long, and they don't stay on the field. If I'm going to invest my top pick in a player, I'm going to want it to be on a guy that I know will stick around for a while, and who will be able to stay relatively healthy. The RB position is so violent and they get hit so much, it makes sense that they would get injured more often than not. I look at it like I've got a gun to my head and someone is forcing me to buy a sports car. On the one hand I can spend $50,000 on a car I know will break down in a few years, or I can spend $40,000 on the base model that will also break down in a few years, but there's a 1 in 3 shot that someone left $10,000 in the glove compartment. The difference in the cars is not significant enough that I could justify paying for the more expensive one, plus there's a chance the cheaper one might come with a cash prize. 

So I guess my aversion to RB is more risk v. reward at this point. But if Gettleman loves him some Henry then I'll love me some Henry too. I'll just be praying he isn't like those that came before him. 

7 minutes ago, Malt Liquor said:

But we got the 30th pick. Thats technically a 2nd round pick. So l would not be mad at all if we picked Derrick Henry as our 1st pick in this year's draft.

A first round pick, at 30, is still technically a 1st round pick. 

It is essentially a second round pick at that point though. And I've seen that argument said numerous times, and you know what? Fair enough, that's a decent argument. picking later in the first is more of a crapshoot than early in the first, so I can get behind a RB at 30 more than I could ever get behind a RB in the top 20. God help us if we trade up to pick him though. 

3 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Fair enough, but after I looked at all the prospects that were taken, it really hit me how often RBs get injured. That's seriously my biggest problem with taking one in the first now. History shows RBs don't last long, and they don't stay on the field. If I'm going to invest my top pick in a player, I'm going to want it to be on a guy that I know will stick around for a while, and who will be able to stay relatively healthy. The RB position is so violent and they get hit so much, it makes sense that they would get injured more often than not. I look at it like I've got a gun to my head and someone is forcing me to buy a sports car. On the one hand I can spend $50,000 on a car I know will break down in a few years, or I can spend $40,000 on the base model that will also break down in a few years, but there's a 1 in 3 shot that someone left $10,000 in the glove compartment. The difference in the cars is not significant enough that I could justify paying for the more expensive one, plus there's a chance the cheaper one might come with a cash prize. 

So I guess my aversion to RB is more risk v. reward at this point. But if Gettleman loves him some Henry then I'll love me some Henry too. I'll just be praying he isn't like those that came before him. 

Well, the unfortunate truth of the matter is, injuries happen no matter what round you draft a player in.

Based on such logic, we wouldn't have used our first rounder on Luke after using a first rounder on Beason only to see him plagued by injuries. Many fans here were a wee bit upset (to put it mildly) about the Kuechly pick considering the circumstances. We see how that turned out.

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

Well, the unfortunate truth of the matter is, injuries happen no matter what round you draft a player in.

Based on such logic, we wouldn't have used our first rounder on Luke after using a first rounder on Beason only to see him plagued by injuries. Many fans here were a wee bit upset (to put it mildly) about the Kuechly pick considering the circumstances. We see how that turned out.

Yeah I know, I was one of them, lol

Like I said earlier, I've been very, very wrong before. 

35 minutes ago, Malt Liquor said:

But we got the 30th pick. Thats technically a 2nd round pick. So l would not be mad at all if we picked Derrick Henry as our 1st pick in this year's draft.

It's technically a first round pick, it's essentially a 2nd round pick 

Archived