• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2016 Europa League Final

ChuK9UaWMAAv-77.jpg:large

Liverpool are in the Europa league final against Sevilla (current back-to-back champs) on May 18th. This year, a spot in the Champions League is up for grabs. Seeing as neither team are on pace to qualify domestically, they will both fight extremely hard to win this trophy. It will be more exciting than another Madrid UCL final!

I love that they give a UCL spot to the winner of Europa now.

I have a question though.  Does the winner mean that country will possibly have five spots?  Or does the team finishing fourth in that league just go to Europa next season?

6 hours ago, Goondal said:

I love that they give a UCL spot to the winner of Europa now.

I have a question though.  Does the winner mean that country will possibly have five spots?  Or does the team finishing fourth in that league just go to Europa next season?

In the case of the Premier League, they would take the 5 spots place. Top 4 would still be safe.

18 hours ago, pantherphan96 said:

In the case of the Premier League, they would take the 5 spots place. Top 4 would still be safe.

If someone that is top four is in does the country get a fifth?  For example, if Dortmund had won, they already qualify top four in Bundesliga, would the fifth team get their spot?

4 hours ago, Goondal said:

If someone that is top four is in does the country get a fifth?  For example, if Dortmund had won, they already qualify top four in Bundesliga, would the fifth team get their spot?

In that case I think nothing changes and they get their Champions League spot from both winning the Europa League and their domestic performance. I don't think a 5th team gets a spot.

1 hour ago, DirtyMagic97 said:

Just realized that winning Europa League places you directly into the UCL group stages. You do not have to go through the play-off round. Which puts it a notch above finishing 4th domestically.

So if you are fourth it gets you an auto then.

If a team that is already in gets the UEL slot then what nation gets the extra slot?

2 hours ago, Goondal said:

So if you are fourth it gets you an auto then.

If a team that is already in gets the UEL slot then what nation gets the extra slot?

I don't think any extra slots are given out if the UEL winner qualifies domestically as well. Probably just sorted in early qualifying round or something.

On 5/7/2016 at 0:27 AM, pantherphan96 said:

La Liga had 5 this year, since Sevilla didn't qualify through standing. A 

On 5/11/2016 at 10:03 AM, DirtyMagic97 said:

Just realized that winning Europa League places you directly into the UCL group stages. You do not have to go through the play-off round. Which puts it a notch above finishing 4th domestically.

As long as the UCL Title Holders qualify for groups through league standing, otherwise they go to the final playoff round. Had Man City won UCL and not finished Top 4 in BPL then the EL winner has to play in the final playoff leg. And the 4th place BPL team would be the biggest Villareal fans since their spot would hang in the balance. If both title holders don't qualify through domestic league, then 4th place gets sent to Europa. This would've been gutting for West Ham fans had they been the 4th place team and kinda funny if it had been Man U

Archived