• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's actually very simple...

Catufb85

Just now, truthjuice said:

Well yeah but in order to absolve him of any wrong doings, we will just blame it on Cam. Keep with the cycle. 

Good point.  All of this...ALL of this stems from the fact that he walked out of a press conference after the game.  He should shut up and act like he doesn't care like Tom Br....Peyton Ma...Aaron Rod...Brett Far...Maybe Josh Freeman?

42 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I agree that our defenses inability to stop anyone from scoring is the major reason we're losing games.  I also agree that not bringing any "contingency" and/or competition players was probably a bad idea.

I'd like to play a little "Gettle's Advocate" though, if that's OK.  Why didn't he spend $5 million to bring in a couple of vet CBs?  Maybe not your B+ list, but B-/C+ kind of guys.  Like many of us, he thought that our defensive front would pick up where it left off.  Kony Ealy leading the pass rush from the outside, KK Short destroying from the middle, and getting just enough out of CJ for one more year.  That pass rush would give our young secondary a chance.  

Gettleman thought he'd drafted good players in Bradberry, Worely, and Sanchez.  He needed one to turn out to be a starter (Bradberry), and hoped he could get some future production out of Worely and Sanchez.  Bradberry has been a rookie corner with some potential until he got hurt.  Worley made a place once or twice and has been burned repeatedly.  Sanchez was cut...

I imagine he also thought that Boston was ready to make the leap and put his athletic talents to good use.  Welp...  That leaves Coleman trying to do too much.  Last year, Coleman had so much success because he could just do his job.  There were enough other guys who could do theirs as well.  So let's not completely throw Coleman out with the bathwater.

So if you can't put any pressure on the QB, you can't stop the run, and you can't cover anyone, you're everyone's favorite defense to play.  I'm not sure what the bye week will hold for the Panthers, I just hope that they can have a good venting of frustration, return to work with a little bit of mental clarity, and zero expectations.  Maybe they can rediscover their loose-ness and having-fun-ness again.  Sure, we may still have a terrible 6-10/7-9 kind of season, but I'd be happy if the guys were able to improve.  If we're going to get scored on, then let's at least make it a shootout.  And let's go for turnovers if we're going to get beat.  You might come down with one every now and then...

But here is the thing.  What made the front four so good was teams not being able to find open receivers within 2 or 3 seconds of the snap.  How many coverage sacks did we get last year??  How many of those sacks were by the front four and how many were on designed blitzes?  Other than KK, who actually was that good if at all.

What Norman did was shut down one side of the field so that the safeties could shade to the other side or were free to blitz or cover underneath. He obviously was a lot more important than most people figured.  Some of us knew.....

As for starting rookies all year, who didnt know that all rookies hit a wall of sorts at some point their rookie year.  They are used to playing 11 or 12 games a year and some against middling or poor competition. Now they are playing against high caliber players every week and play four games before the season even starts.  And who thought injury wouldnt be an issue when it has been every year. Then add that most any rookie  gets used early and only really understands what to do the second part of their rookie year.  Complicate that by the fact that our defense is very complicated and everyone has to understand their responsibility on every play and it was a recipe for disaster.

Gettleman needed everything to go his way this year to come out of this ok and he had no contingencies like depth in the secondary.  What happened was totally predictable by even someone such as myself who is hardly a football expert by any measurement.  If I could see it, so could anyone.  And he had 20 million to play with.  No he has no excuse this time.  He got all the credit in the past and needs all the blame as well. 

52 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

But here is the thing.  What made the front four so good was teams not being able to find open receivers within 2 or 3 seconds of the snap.  How many coverage sacks did we get last year??  How many of those sacks were by the front four and how many were on designed blitzes?  Other than KK, who actually was that good if at all.

What Norman did was shut down one side of the field so that the safeties could shade to the other side or were free to blitz or cover underneath. He obviously was a lot more important than most people figured.  Some of us knew.....

As for starting rookies all year, who didnt know that all rookies hit a wall of sorts at some point their rookie year.  They are used to playing 11 or 12 games a year and some against middling or poor competition. Now they are playing against high caliber players every week and play four games before the season even starts.  And who thought injury wouldnt be an issue when it has been every year. Then add that most any rookie  gets used early and only really understands what to do the second part of their rookie year.  Complicate that by the fact that our defense is very complicated and everyone has to understand their responsibility on every play and it was a recipe for disaster.

Gettleman needed everything to go his way this year to come out of this ok and he had no contingencies like depth in the secondary.  What happened was totally predictable by even someone such as myself who is hardly a football expert by any measurement.  If I could see it, so could anyone.  And he had 20 million to play with.  No he has no excuse this time.  He got all the credit in the past and needs all the blame as well. 

I am not at all disagreeing with you.  HUBRIS is what we're dealing with right now. I don't remember how many of our sacks last season were coverage versus pass rush. I do know they go hand in hand.  If you have excellent coverage, you will get sacks.  If you have good pass rush, then other teams won't have time to exploit your coverage.

There is a ying/yang relationship, and when they are out of whack, which is what we're seeing, it sucks.  I think that there are many shares of blame to be passed around:  there has to be feedback between coaches and personnel people.  It's up the to personnel people to get the best players and the coaches to put them in positions to be successful.  It's also up to the players to do their jobs.  When one of the three fails, the other two have to pick up the slack.  No one is picking up the slack this season.

Archived