• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deeper look at Positional needs

panther4life

21 hours ago, panther4life said:

Top 8 positional needs for 2017 only:

1.WR- Benjamin,Funchess, Shepard/CJ2, Byrd/Bersin. - More questions than answers here. Benjamin is fine as a number 1 for 17 and probably beyond. Beyond him we can't exactly we say we have a solid # 2 and or # 3 receiver until we get through camp. I'd rather be in position of having to cut a good player than wait for someone else to cut a vet that we find out we need. 

2.Tackle Again more questions than answers. Will Kalil come through for us at LT? Is Oher going to make it back and play well at RT? Can we stay healthy? This was a bad year to need offensive line help but Gettleman broke the bank on the guy he felt best could solve our problem. Let's just hope it works out, even if it doesn't just remember Cam has survived Bryon Bell, Nate Chandler, Mike Remmers as starting tackle so it cant get any worse than whats he's already endured. 

3.RB- Same 3 we've had the past 2 years. Stewart is another year older and the clock is ticking. Fozzy is ok for a 2 and CAP has shown nothing yet.

4.CB- All indications are Bradberry can be a legit # 1. Worley has shown he can suffice as a #2 and Captain is an average nickel with above average experience now. Less concerned about corner than this time last year, but still not convinced we can't improve a good bit with a top tier corner (all signs point to that being Lattimore).

5.TE- Olsen, Dickson, Simonson, camp bodies. Olsen is still playing at a peak level and shows no signs of slowing down for 2017. The rest are jag's and pretty much what we have always had from 2nd T.E's since Shockey and before him.

6.DE- Addison, Peppers/Johnson, Horton. This unit is upgraded from last year. Addison keeps ascending and will see more playing time. Johnson has leveled off a bit but having Peppers back is an upgrade over having Ealy in 17. Horton is meh, but decent run stopper. This unit can suffice in 2017 with the surrounding talent.

7.SS- Mike Adams has a good resume and is at least above average (I believe he made the pro bowl the last 2 years as an alternate). Really cant say I know much else about him but I think he's a better fit there than Coleman was last year.

8.FS- For 2017 , I am very confident with Coleman moving back here. He played lights out there in 15 and hopefully will get close to that level again in 17.

Of those positions we should have a shot at a consensus top player at their position aside from DE. 

10 oldest skill position starting players on the roster.

• Peppers(37) - Contract expires at end of 17
  • Mike Adams(36) Contract expires at end of 18
  • Thomas Davis(34) Contract expires at end of 17 (18 Automatically voids)
  • Ryan Kalil(32)  Contract expires at end of 18
  • Greg Olsen(32) Contract expires at end of 18
  • Charles Johnson(30) Contract expires at end of 18.
  • Michael Oher Contract expires at end of 19.
  • Jonathan Stewart(30) Contract expires at end of 18
  • Captain Munnerlyn(29) Contract expires at end of 18
  • Mario Addison(29) Contract expires at end of 19

Considering the above information I would adjust our needs list and trim it to this.

1. WR  Cam has never really had adequate help here, unless you factor in Olsen as part of his arsenal.

2. DE  This need shoots up in a hurry after this season!.Funny we dropped our youngest guy (Ealy) this offseason and replaced him with our oldest player. As odd as it sounds, they were both good moves and improves us for 2017, which is all we could realistically hope for via free agency. 

3. RB  We have 2 more years at most from Stewart. He's been a solid panther his whole career but the list of more desirable backs continue to increase as each season goes on. I don't expect him to make it past his current extension with us. 

4.SS  Mike Adams signed a 2 year deal but he's also 36 years old. Not only is he an aging vet but we have 0 good depth here.

5.CB  I was tempted to bump TE above CB here and wouldn't argue with someone who did. For me I just feel like Olsen is not showing his age on the field. I hope we can extend him for a couple more years and he can remain our TE1 for the next 2-3 seasons. The Bucs offense just added Desean Jackson and the Falcons have a nice trio themselve's in Jones,Sanu and Gabriel. So more corner help is always a good thing. 

Sure TE and O-line help belong on this list too. Just seems like a bad year for o-line talent and TE would be more of a luxury, unless we change the entire playbook to account for a new Stud. 

Players I would consider at 8 that also meet my top 5 long term need's.

DE  Myles Garrett, Soloman Thomas

RB  Fournette 

WR  Corey Davis

SS  Jamal Adams

CB  Marshon Lattimore

In the event these 6 are gone, I think id go Hooker(BPA) and then O.J Howard. 

Sweet analysis, but I think one thing that the front office/coaching staff has to look at is individual positions/values vs. positions and values later on in the draft. I think that if we can get the best player at a specific position at #8, and get a player we like at a higher position of need later in the draft. For that reason at #8, I like OJ Howard over other choices in the first, unless Hooker and and Adams is there. This is under the impression that LF goes #4 to JAX. The reason I would take LF at #8 over Howard is LF is gonna get 20-25 touches a game, Howard allows us to create mismatches and two TE sets are very hard to defend, but his touches will be somewhere between 5-8 per game with highs closer to 10-12. LF makes more of an impact with touches during the game, but you could argue that Howard or even McCafferey creates more explosion for the offense... tough call. 

Also don't be surprised if Reuben Foster is the pick. Just saying. 

5 minutes ago, PandaPancake said:

Is this how you express appreciation when someone is guiding you in a new community? 

Lol a d someone else quotes the whole OP not long afterwards as well. 

@Panthero, Panda was just offering up some Huddle etiquette. Think of quoting a long OP the same etiquette as taking up the whole right turn lane / straight lane at a stop light so no one can squeeze by and turn right on red. It's not illegal to do that, but it blows when someone does. 

Youre a good poster, and Panda is too. Just offering up some Huddle advice for ya. 

Quoting long OP's can clutter up the replies and take away from the thread. 

DE is the #1 need on this team, especially considering the absurd dearth and price on the DE FA market and normal learning curve for rookies.  CJ has a bad back and Pep is 37 on a one year deal.  Unlike TE where you don't NEED to have two on every play, you can't even run a single functioning football play in a 4-3 D without 2 DE's.  As bad as our WR situation may appear, we have multiple functioning bodies who are under contract in 2018 and many more can be had for far less than what a decent DE would cost.  Unless Fournette is available and debatably even if he is, the 20 year old Barnett on a 5 year rookie deal needs to be the pick.  Take your medicine, hold your nose if you must, and chug it folks, it's good for you.

There is like one or two of u that want Barnett on this forum. Guess what it ain't happening.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 hour ago, PandaPancake said:

Is this how you express appreciation when someone is guiding you in a new community? 

i responded poorly. It was the way you wrote it. I took it as being smart ass. my bad if it wasnt. i dont mind being corrected or smartened up though.  i'll chop em in the future.

Archived