• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Most Talented Roster - 2013 vs 2017*

SetfreexX

So in the lull that these summer months bring for sports I started watching full college games on Youtube (OSU vs MI) most recently, and then it hit me…why not watch a full Panther’s game….Soooo I did – 2013 Panthers vs Patriots; and while I was watching this game it kind of stuck out to me that the CURRENT roster in my opinion most resembles what I personally feel was our most talented roster in the Cam Newton era, and as we are currently constructed I think we’re on par or even possibly better if it all comes together.

For those that don’t remember this was the 12-4 season where we began (1-3). But just take a look at the rosters by Comparison, and let me know what you think.

Reference - 2013 Panther's Roster - http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/carolina-panthers/roster/2013

QB-

Cam / Cam

HB-

Williams & Stewart / Stewart & McCaffrey

WR-

Smith, LaFell, Ginn, Hixon / KB, Funchess, Samuel, Johnson

TE-

Olsen, Harstock / Olsen, Dickson

OL-

Gross, Wharton, Kalil, Chandler, Bell / Kalil, Norwell, Kalil, Turner, Oher (Moton/Williams)

LB-

Kuechly, Davis, Blackburn / Kuechly, Davis, Thompson

DL-

Hardy, Cole, Lotulelei, Johnson / Peppers, Short, Lotulelei, Johnson

DB-

Florence, White, Munnerlyn / Bradberry, Worley, Munnerlyn

S-

Mitchell, Mikell / Coleman, Adams

ST’s-

Gano, Nortman / Gano, Lee

I think a few things of note, this was the ‘’Legion of Whom’’ secondary harkening back to the 2013 group, this was the second dog house season for Norman (Bills game – last second TD mix up with DJ Moore). I like the 2017 DB group better than the 2013 group Bradberry, and Worley are upgrades over Florence, and White, and Munnerlyn is a wash. The 2017 safety tandem I’d defer to 2013’s pair, but if the pass rush comes together as expected we will be fine. Coleman has proven to be a ball-hawk, and if Adams just supports the run, and maintains his assignments we’ll be better than last year.

In the front 7 we had a budding star in Kuechly (2nd year), along with Thomas Davis to lead the way, Thompson is an obvious upgrade over Blackburn, and likely figures to spell TD more in nickel sets next to Luke. In 2013 Short was not yet a starter in his rookie season, however Hardy was a terror this year and Johnson turned in his solid pass rushing performance. Moving to 2017 I think we can be just as formidable, Short is the center piece of this DL group and has cemented himself as a top 5 interior rusher, Lotulelei has improved as a pass rusher each season, and Peppers, and Johnson still have plenty in the tank. If you want to factor in Addison here the 2017 version is better than the 2013 version.

At running back we were pretty diverse, even with all the hate Williams receives here, he was still a home run threat for us out of the backfield, while paired with Stewart and Cam we had a dynamic power and speed attack, we could hit teams on the edges, and keep things balanced between the tackles, add in McCaffrey in 2017 and I think we have that dynamic +1 considering his ability as a receiver; also Samuel will also likely provide some spark out of the backfield on occasion.

When you look at the 2013 receiver group you had two deep threats, Smith was still getting over coverage, and Ginn was also available to stretch the seams, or outside, also LaFell & Hixon were solid possession targets and in the redzone. Now looking to 2017 we add Samuel, and Johnson (the Shepard hype IMO is a bit misplaced, but that’s just me, I see him as depth and ST’s) both guys who are 4.3 runners to stretch the field inside, and out, with KB, and Funchess as the big bodied possession receivers and red zone targets but both are upgrades over LaFell and Hixon. When comparing 2013 / 2017 to me these are the most versatile receiver groups we’ve had since Cam got here, speed, size, the ability to score on short passes, or long throws both groups have this capability. Obviously Olsen is Olsen, so no need to explain, but I think he’s even better than he was, I think that much is a no brainer.

Looking at the OL’s both have strengths and weaknesses in 2013 we were starting a DT converted to T/G in Chadler, and an UDFA at RT (Mr. Left Handed himself THE Byron Bell), Gross, Wharton, and Kalil were as good as they ever were. In 2017 if the stars align, we will have a 1st rounder at LT in Kaili and I see him as the x-factor in this group, we have three all pro caliber players on the interior (Norwell/Kalil/Turner), and if RT ends up being any of the three available bodies (Oher, Williams, Moton) I think we have a chance to field our best OL since Cam’s rookie year.

I know it’s easy to forget just how good that 2013 team was I surely had, given the out right dismay I felt when we blew up the receiver room following that season, and went into 2014 with Cothcery, Jason Avant, and Philly Brown behind a rookie KB. And even with all the wonderment of 2015 and a 15-1 season along with a Superbowl appearance, and the forgettable 2016 season, until now 2013 I think was the most talented roster we’d fielded. So here’s to what looks like an improvement and catching lightening in a bottle…..#KEEPPOUNDING

Ughhhh Chandler and Bell. That's why we didn't make it. The reason the Carolina Panthers won during the season more often than not was because of that awesome defense that had fearsome pressure up front. Our LB core is better now and you can argue that our secondary is better. That was a real liability of the team that year. The offense isn't even close, this one is much better. 

Archived