• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Football Dying? (nothing to do with ratings or over saturation)

Jangler

32 minutes ago, Shufdog said:

I've been hearing that since I was in high school in the 80s.

More kids in soccer than the Boy Scouts now.  By far the largest activity for 5-19 year olds.  Real Salt Lake had a $10 million expansion fee to MLS a decade ago, the fee now is $150 million and growing.

30 minutes ago, Nails said:

More kids in soccer than the Boy Scouts now.  By far the largest activity for 5-19 year olds.  Real Salt Lake had a $10 million expansion fee to MLS a decade ago, the fee now is $150 million and growing.

Inflation is a bitch ain't it! Lol!! I'm not saying soccer isn't growing, just that I don't think it will ever be the "go to" sport in the US anytime in the near future (or the distant future either).

1 hour ago, Shufdog said:

I've been hearing that since I was in high school in the 80s.

Soccer 2nd favorite sport among millennials, popular with growing immigrant population as well. 

Few years ago you couldn't find soccer on TV unless it was the World Cup, now there is a huge TV deal to broadcast Premier League games. MLS is expanding as well. If youth system is overhauled and a promotion-relegation system is put in place, I would bet soccer takes the #1 or #2 spot soon.

Basketball as well will gain popularity as the NFL fades. NASCAR, golf, and baseball (sadly) are likely to continue dying outside of their specific demographics.

1 hour ago, Pimpdaddy said:

,,,,Soccer totally blows....guess if the NFL disappears i'll just watch golf...

Not even a sport. Amazing you can find golf entertaining if you think soccer is boring.

theres a communication problem.. 

I feel like its common sense and if you understand anything about humans, you know hitting your head or shaking your head in any way... Jet Skis, Soccer heading, fuging Headbanging, anything like that gives you a chance to damage your brain.

I also remember signing up as a kid signing a waiver saying I know the physical consequences of this competitive sport.

The media will destroy football because it has such a grasp on such a large number of Americans. I think we saw a wave of players from different parts of the country than from the more common South, and still in that but soon will return to a majority of SEC and southern conferences rise again. If you're a rich House Wife in California you are not going to let your kid play football.. you'll sign him up for tennis lessons.

I think it will come in waves and yes it is on a downward slope. The world is connected, you will hear every single story from any negative outcome of someones health around America. Those stories will be sensationalized and blown up, something you didn't always see decades ago because the news wasn't so in your face and around you 24'7 telling you whats popular.

Sure theres a combo of factors like said above. I also think some people spout that EVERY NFL player will be some guy hanging on for life in 15 years. Some guys make it out perfectly fine other than whats expected when you have that physical load.

Thats becoming a popular opinion and will turn off kids because they don't want to be labeled as someone unstable, etc. 
I also think Football is the hardest team sport for production reasons and just having full teams, full equipment, discipline.

For me, moving up here has ruined some of my fandom since they don't come on TV and aren't covered by the media.

But more so, the game is just too annoying. 10 billion commercials, long games, and OMG ... run a play, stop in action, run a play, commercial, run a play, stop in action, commercial, run a play, stop in action, play, stop, play, stop, commercial. I like how soccer is non stop, an inning in baseball could technically go 30 min without a commercial, and hockey is fast. If it weren't for timeouts galore, the NBA would even be fun. But seeing a play, then watching them walk back to the huddle, then a 1 yd run, then waiting, then a play, then waiting ... so tiresome. Plus only one game a week?

I still love the team but the NFL product is a pain to watch.

2 hours ago, Wolfcop said:

Football isn't going anywhere. It's too popular and generates too much money. They will change helmets, adjust the rules again, etc...whatever they need to do. Sure, it has taken a popularity hit, but it is not going away. 

keep telling yourself that.

2 hours ago, Still Brooklyn said:

For me, moving up here has ruined some of my fandom since they don't come on TV and aren't covered by the media.

But more so, the game is just too annoying. 10 billion commercials, long games, and OMG ... run a play, stop in action, run a play, commercial, run a play, stop in action, commercial, run a play, stop in action, play, stop, play, stop, commercial. I like how soccer is non stop, an inning in baseball could technically go 30 min without a commercial, and hockey is fast. If it weren't for timeouts galore, the NBA would even be fun. But seeing a play, then watching them walk back to the huddle, then a 1 yd run, then waiting, then a play, then waiting ... so tiresome. Plus only one game a week?

I still love the team but the NFL product is a pain to watch.

The maximum time between plays is 40 seconds unless there is a time out. You are just being overly dramatic!

Archived