• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Panthers won’t go WR

unicar15

If you're dodging a position because you're afraid of drafting a bust, then every position is off the table. There have been early drafted busts at every position in the game. OL used to be considered the safest 1st round pick you could make and just look at all the 1st round OL busts there have been in the last decade or so.

I don’t think it’s a bust potential argument. I think it’s an argument that the game is continuing to evolve. Neither Super Bowl team this year had a star receiver. I’d say if you looked back at the SB contenders all the way back to 2012 there have been two prototypical “star” receivers that played...Julio and D Thomas. Getting that guy just isn’t necessary to winning a title. QB, pass rush, protecting the QB (with the run and blocking), and maintaining possession is much more indicative of a winning team. Not star WRs...

You're unlikely to get a star WR in the bottom half of the 1st round. If you draft a guy and he turns out to be a star, then great. But the guys projected to be stars are taken earlier than #24. We need legit NFL WRs. A star would be great, but we don't necessarily have to have a star.

I really hope the draft falls in a manner where a WR, DE, or DB is the best player on the board.

2 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

And if you looked back on those drafts and if those teams could have drafted a better player I’d say 70% of them could have had a better player. Of those guys on that list I’d say that the guys who were worth it were:

Green, Jones, Evans, Beckham, Maclin, Cooks, Thomas, Harvin (maybe), Bryant, Hopkins, Nicks. 

Which goes back to my original point...Obvious draft day players of that caliber will not be there at 24. There are always surprises late in the draft. 

1 minute ago, unicar15 said:

And if you looked back on those drafts and if those teams could have drafted a better player I’d say 70% of them could have had a better player. Of those guys on that list I’d say that the guys who were worth it were:

Green, Jones, Evans, Beckham, Maclin, Cooks, Thomas, Harvin (maybe), Bryant, Hopkins, Nicks. 

Which goes back to my original point...Obvious draft day players of that caliber will not be there at 24. There are always surprises late in the draft. 

Look back at virtually every draft and there was almost always a better player available when a guy was picked, especially once you get past the top 10 or so. Sure, you find All-Pros drafted in the mid-rounds that turn out to be great picks, but they're the exception not the rule.

Just now, Daddy_Uncle said:

if Hurney is doing the drafting we might as well chalk up one bum ass wr as one of our picks

Hurney has to be the worst drafter of WRs in the history of football. Then again, he's completely terrible past the 1st round and he never took a WR in the 1st so it's not exactly surprising that he never drafted an NFL caliber WR.

WR are very hit in miss in the draft.  You really have to trust your scouts.  Almost no one in college runs any type of pro offense it's all spread of one type or another.  So wide recievers don't really have the kind of route tree they get in the NFL.  Also the press man coverage that some teams run in the NFL is almost impossible to find in college.  I just don't understand why anyone would want the Panthers to draft another young WR.  The WR with the most experience for the Panthers has 3 years.  After that, your next 3 guys all have 1 year experience.  Maybe drafting another young guy is not the answer.  Maybe signing a guy like Torrey Smith, who the Eagles kind of have to cut, is the answer.  Mike Wallace, someone like that that won't cost 10 million dollars a year but knows what to do on the field and you don't have to teach him everything from how to tie his shoes to where the bathroom is, might be what this receiver group needs.   A young guy might help but you know all the young guys we had last year, some of those guys could improve.  It does happen.  Just saying.

Just now, bababoey said:

WR are very hit in miss in the draft.  You really have to trust your scouts.  Almost no one in college runs any type of pro offense it's all spread of one type or another.  So wide recievers don't really have the kind of route tree they get in the NFL.  Also the press man coverage that some teams run in the NFL is almost impossible to find in college.  I just don't understand why anyone would want the Panthers to draft another young WR.  The WR with the most experience for the Panthers has 3 years.  After that, your next 3 guys all have 1 year experience.  Maybe drafting another young guy is not the answer.  Maybe signing a guy like Torrey Smith, who the Eagles kind of have to cut, is the answer.  Mike Wallace, someone like that that won't cost 10 million dollars a year but knows what to do on the field and you don't have to teach him everything from how to tie his shoes to where the bathroom is, might be what this receiver group needs.   A young guy might help but you know all the young guys we had last year, some of those guys could improve.  It does happen.  Just saying.

In the ideal world, I think we'd both sign a decent FA and still draft another WR with one of our top four picks. Devin Funchess is the only WR that we have who would be highly sought after by other teams and he wouldn't start for quite a few other teams.

Archived