• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Run To Establish The Pass" And Other Rushing Advantage Stuff Is Actually A #Myth

Saca312

2 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Like the film that shows that the primary reason Ron Rivera's "ground and pound" has any success at all is because of one Cameron Jerrell Newton?

So--do you take advantage of your QB's strength or not ?

UM?? Lets have Brady run like Cam. or better, let's have Cam pass like Brady.

3 minutes ago, ras977 said:

So--do you take advantage of your QB's strength or not ?

Of course you do.

But the ideal of a "ground and pound" is to have a strong running game WITHOUT primarily counting on your QB which (again ideally) you leave to the passing game.

But you know this already.  Do you think we have a strong running game without primarily counting on our multi-talented QB?

Just now, tiger7_88 said:

Of course you do.

But the ideal of a "ground and pound" is to have a strong running game WITHOUT primarily counting on your QB which (again ideally) you leave to the passing game.

But you know this already.  Do you think we have a strong running game without primarily counting on our multi-talented QB?

Totally agree--hopefully Turner can change this.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The final four teams in the playoffs this year all had top 10 regular season rushing offenses.

Jags - #1

Eagles - #3

Vikings - #7

Patriots - #10

Only one of those teams had a top 10 passing offense.

Patriots - #2

Vikings - #11

Eagles - #13

Jaguars - #17

The league is evolving more and more toward passing, but running the football is still really important.

Why are people ignoring this comment

1 minute ago, Palmetto said:

Why are people ignoring this comment

Probably because people like me, who think that modern NFL offenses should do as much as they can to take advantage of NFL rules designed to give the advantage to the passing game, also think that running the ball is ALSO is important.

Where we differ with the "TAKE FUNNY BALL AND CARRY! SMASH LINE!" run-primary proponents is that we think making the rush game the primary emphasis of your offense in today's NFL is counter-productive and is basically swimming against the tide.

7 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Probably because people like me, who think that modern NFL offenses should do as much as they can to take advantage of NFL rules designed to give the advantage to the passing game, also think that running the ball is ALSO is important.

Where we differ with the "TAKE FUNNY BALL AND CARRY! SMASH LINE!" run-primary proponents is that we think making the rush game the primary emphasis of your offense in today's NFL is counter-productive and is basically swimming against the tide.

The final four teams were top ten in rushing

Fug it lets throw it 45 times

Lets be the Detroit Lions of the South

5 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

We have never valued receivers as other teams have- from Fox to Rivera--

11 minutes ago, Palmetto said:

The final four teams were top ten in rushing

So let me see if I understand you...

You fully believe that just because a team is "top ten" in rushing then that automatically means that that team's offense is run-first?

That's what you are saying, right?

7 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

So let me see if I understand you...

You fully believe that just because a team is "top ten" in rushing then that automatically means that that team's offense is run-first?

That's what you are saying, right?

Now Quote me where i said run first?

We got Brady and three other Qbs who may not even be starting next year for their teams

Eagles, Vikings, Jags, played fundamental football all season, Brees even won a playoff game because the Saints played defense and ran the ball this season instead of throwing it 50 times

These teams are playing good football Run and play defense

milk the clock and keep the defense fresh

pick up first downs to maintain leads

wear down the opposing defense

If the QB does have and off game hey let the RB pick up the slack until the defense starts to bring guys up to the line to stop the run

The QB should not be the leading rusher of the team

14 hours ago, Saca312 said:

you guys are just as delusional as ron rivera if you honestly think you have to run to do much in the passing game.

stats, forward-thinking teams, and superbowl winners back this up as of late. The Patriots and Eagles essentially began the game passing and only later started running a bit more. 

It's funny how often you are proven wrong with your "analysis" here and then you continue to make these adamant blanket claims... Take a hint dude and realize that, just like all of us here, you don't know poo. 

I mean... you don't HAVE to run to pass the ball well, but running the ball well (key word: running the ball WELL) certainly helps open up the pass game and there's no denying that.  It's always worth at least trying to see if you can get in a rhythm running at some point to help take a load off your passing game. 

On the other hand, running the ball poorly can certainly hurt your pass game really bad if you're constantly in 3rd and long obvious passing situations because you just wasted the first 2 downs running the ball and losing yards or only gaining a yard or two.  Passing the ball effectively can obviously also help open up the run game. 

There.  Just saved you all that time of reading/compiling a bunch of rhetorical stats.  It's pretty damn basic stuff.  Me personally, unless it's the obvious strength of your team, I don't want to be limited in being a run-first or pass-first team.  I'd rather go after whatever the hell the opposing team's weakness is and exploit it.  That's what the Patriots do.  Team showing they're struggling against the run?  Run it down their fuging throats.  Looking like they can't cover anything worth a damn?  Sling that mother fuger like no tomorrow.  No discernible weakness?  Well keep em off-balance and keep it mixed up or hit them with something new you haven't used before.

Sadly, a lot of coaches seem to get too wrapped up in what they want to do ahead of time and don't really develop much of a plan B or C, or adapt to the flow of the game. 

Archived