• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MLS to Charlotte?

jbland

As a soccer coach myself and hughe soccer fan on top of NFL, college and NBA i cannot understand US are not going full steam ahead with male soccer. Normally in sport if USA wants to become the best in something, they do. 

Been to to a couple of MLS games and the levels is pretty shitty right now like REAL bad. That might change if they do something about it. US Girl/Women soccer i world class.

Oh and soccer fans create a much better environment ;) 

Regards the European dude.

2 hours ago, C47 said:

the number of insecure "men" in this thread is staggering, and hilarious. 

It really is quite hilarious to me as well.  Soccer players are superior athletes imo.  And lmao at the ones asking if soccer is a sport, lol, it's literally the most popular sport in the world. 

Baseball is the sport that's damn near unwatchable to me.  So damn slow and boring to ever want to watch on TV.  I'll go to games in person for the ballpark experience, but that's about it.

I still wish soccer would allow unlimited substitutions (or at least substantially more).  You would see more energy, especially at the end when playing in a Brazilian Rainforest leads to near-death walks towards the goal

I disagree that MLS would be Tepper's trojan horse for a stadium.  A MLS stadium would likely be smaller - ATL United blocks off the upper decks of the bird's nest hot mess of a stadium.   

That said, Raleigh is making the big push. They lost out in November, but if they get the stadium plans finalized, they will probably get the final round (over Detroit)

20 hours ago, Squirrel said:

This and possibly wanting to use Bank of America stadium. 

I would think he would love letting them use BOA. Make more money instead of it sitting idle in non-football months. 

4 minutes ago, jbland said:

I would think he would love letting them use BOA. Make more money instead of it sitting idle in non-football months. 

The Sounders and fans have a blast in CenturyLink field

5 hours ago, 4Corners said:

I do not like soccer, I think it’s a silly sport that should only be played by small children and sissy Europeans - however, I would absolutely love to see MLS brought to Charlotte under Tepper just to piss off Bruton Smith and the rest of his nascar necks. 

Wouldn't it be Hilarious if Tepper said... Oh Btw, Im buying Z Max and Charlotte Motor Speedway.. I would laugh my ass off.. I hate Bruton Smith.

BOA is entirely too big for an MLS stadium.  Generally, an MLS team will want 20,000 seats or so.  Sure, there are some larger parks in MLS, but those are typically shared stadiums where only the lower tiers are opened for soccer.

Don't think that has anything to do with Tepper wanting a new stadium.

49 minutes ago, aGDevil2k said:

That said, Raleigh is making the big push. They lost out in November, but if they get the stadium plans finalized, they will probably get the final round (over Detroit)

In the last few years, MLS has put teams in Orlando, Atlanta, Miami & Nashville. I'll be surprised if they go with another Southeastern team.

4 hours ago, MechaZain said:

I'm sure Knights games are a blast but it's honestly a bummer that there isn't a pro team in that beautiful location.

It was “Major League” stupid (pun intended) to build a non-expandable minor league park in the center of two states with 15+ million people.

The Tampa region noticed then http://www.raysindex.com/2013/04/new-stadium-suggests-charlotte-will-not-pursue-a-major-league-baseball-team.html

Here’s an article that mentions Charlotte last fall BEFORE Hurricane Irma and the political windfall http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/jones-stop-talking-and-start-building-a-new-rays-stadium/2334956

Even Evan Longoria said they need to move http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018/05/10/evan-longoria-rays-might-be-better-off-leaving-tampa-bay/

Then you have Rob Manfred mentioning Charlotte as an expansion candidate, the A’s with stadium and political disaster issues, and the Marlins playing in front of crowds like those pictured.

So frustrating the building of that minor league non-expandable park and the inferiority complex which has many in and out of local government thinking we need to build a new stadium just to keep the Panthers when the eyes should have/should be on bigger prizes.

0215EED9-9D4B-486B-BDB1-57937A96392D.jpeg

6 hours ago, C47 said:

the number of insecure "men" in this thread is staggering, and hilarious. 

I'm not sure why someone not liking soccer makes them insecure. Its just boring to me....kick the ball...run....run....run......tap dance tap dance...tap dance......kick the ball....run....run....run.....over and over and over and over and over and over uuuuuugh.  Kinda like hockey only on a big frigg'n grass field.    To bad Lacrosse isn't a pro sport. THAT I would go watch.

7 minutes ago, TPanther920 said:

I'm not sure why someone not liking soccer makes them insecure. Its just boring to me....kick the ball...run....run....run......tap dance tap dance...tap dance......kick the ball....run....run....run.....over and over and over and over and over and over uuuuuugh.  Kinda like hockey only on a big frigg'n grass field.    To bad Lacrosse isn't a pro sport. THAT I would go watch.

Lacrosse is the oldest sport in North America and still can’t move any major needles.  And Charlotte actually does have a MLL team.

2 hours ago, djp14 said:

In the last few years, MLS has put teams in Orlando, Atlanta, Miami & Nashville. I'll be surprised if they go with another Southeastern team.

The powers that be continue to pump international games (ICC and Gold Cup) into the QC so the grand wizard somewhere definitely wants it.  That will make 10 such games since 2010, all successful.

If local government had ONE hair on their balls or ANY foresight or selflessness it coulda/shoulda/woulda/will be a reality.

13 minutes ago, Nails said:

Lacrosse is the oldest sport in North America and still can’t move any major needles.  And Charlotte actually does have a MLL team.

I had never heard of Lacrosse until I was in my 20s. (1980')  Major League Lacrosse? In Charlotte?

6 hours ago, klumme said:

As a soccer coach myself and hughe soccer fan on top of NFL, college and NBA i cannot understand US are not going full steam ahead with male soccer. Normally in sport if USA wants to become the best in something, they do. 

Been to to a couple of MLS games and the levels is pretty shitty right now like REAL bad. That might change if they do something about it. US Girl/Women soccer i world class.

Oh and soccer fans create a much better environment ;) 

Regards the European dude.

As an American soccer supporter old enough to have lived through the death of the NASL ("slowly at first, and then all at once"), I strongly appreciate MLS for avoiding the pitfalls we have already seen destroy professional soccer before in this country. The league has committed to a model of slow and organic growth from a very early point. Yes, it's not a top ten league - but yes, it's sustainable and has significantly improved over its first two decades. It will be a top fifteen league in five years, and a top ten league in ten years. Anyone who's paid the league real and honest attention over the course of its existence will agree with me.

And no, ARSEN, pro/rel is not happening and will not be happening. I don't like it any more than you do, but it's not the kiss of death for a serious league. Liga MX, for example - a competition that I've watched move from a backwater to a serious international concern in my own lifetime (f*ck, a third of my lifetime) - has been de facto eliminating pro/rel for years while only growing stronger.

Archived