• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game of Thrones - Season 8

Ja  Rhule

4 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

My initial reaction to the finale was meh. But as time separates me from it I've grown to like it more. I'm mostly satisfied with the ending and the show. One thing that bothered me and I haven't seen it discussed here:

Why did the Unsullied and Dothraki decide to ALL go to Naarth? I get why Greyworm wanted to go there but why would everyone else? Maybe the Dothraki are just going back to the grass sea or whatever but still, why are the Unsullied going anywhere?

Their queen is dead, they have no reason to stay and as Davos suggested, they are going to start a new life for themselves. As you mention, they follow Greyworm and that is where he wanted to go. With Dany dead, there is really no reason for the Unsullied to stay.

Not sure about the Dothraki, I didn't pick up on them leaving or where they were going. 

1 minute ago, Bronn said:

I think because Grey Worm is like their CO or something. I'm assuming the Dothraki are just gonna go back to the Dothraki Sea.

I wouldn't want to go to Naath tbqh. Not only the aforementioned butterflies, but it is a little too close to Sothoryos for comfort. Sothoryos sounds like hell tbqh.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Sothoryos

Sothoryos is the speculative setting of the prequel. I'm here for that show I think.

As for the Unsullied, I got the feeling that Greyworm was basically gonna retire there. So I don't see why they are ALL going. They all didn't fall in love with some chick from Naarth. :)

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I also find it funny....that in the end they punished Jon by sending him to the Night's Watch and repeated all that junk about never being w/ a chick, etc. 

Meanwhile Sam just chilling and taking it all in.  

This situation reminds me of the vows our politicians take upon entering office (often w/hand on a holy book) to serve the best interests of their constituents and our nation.  How often are they held to account for blatantly breaking them?

Sam's lack of punishment, especially since he comes from money, may be one of the most realistic aspects of GOTs.

Sam never really belonged at the wall anyway. He was heir to his father's kingdom, but his father was a huge douche. He literally threatened to kill him, so Sam had to run away.

That said, he did take the vows.

The biggest discrepancy with him, in my opinion, is how he went from fleeing the Citadel as a scrub boy to returning, helping write ASOIAF, and returning a Grand Maester in King's Landing, all in a matter of what Tyrion described as weeks. Did he even return that considerable amount of books he stole?

10 minutes ago, Bronn said:

Sam never really belonged at the wall anyway. He was heir to his father's kingdom, but his father was a huge douche. He literally threatened to kill him, so Sam had to run away.

That said, he did take the vows.

The biggest discrepancy with him, in my opinion, is how he went from fleeing the Citadel as a scrub boy to returning, helping write ASOIAF, and returning a Grand Maester in King's Landing, all in a matter of what Tyrion described as weeks. Did he even return that considerable amount of books he stole?

Series opens with Ned chopping off the head of a deserter (of low born status) from the wall (rules are rules).  Series closes with a known deserter (of high born status) being part of the king's Small Council.

GOTs is pretty realistic in my book.

More differences in the books:

Victarion Greyjoy, brother to Euron and the deceased Balon, is a big player. He wasn't even on the show, but he's got a pretty important role in the books, I think. They also have another brother, Aeron "Damphair," who's a drowned god zealot and priest.

Arianne Martell, Doran Martell's daughter and Oberyn Martell's neice, is a huge player that the show left out. She even has POV chapters in later books. She's heavily involved in the Dornish plots.

Dany has another member of her Queensguard over in Essos. A character named Strong Belwas who is with her from early on and is pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Bronn said:

More differences in the books:

Victarion Greyjoy, brother to Euron and the deceased Balon, is a big player. He wasn't even on the show, but he's got a pretty important role in the books, I think. They also have another brother, Aeron "Damphair," who's a drowned god zealot and priest.

Arianne Martell, Doran Martell's daughter and Oberyn Martell's neice, is a huge player that the show left out. She even has POV chapters in later books. She's heavily involved in the Dornish plots.

Dany has another member of her Queensguard over in Essos. A character named Strong Belwas who is with her from early on and is pretty cool.

In the books, other than the fact that Brienne might be dead, Sansa is probably the most different as she isn't married to Ramsey. Right? Everyone else is more or less on the same path. Or do I have that way wrong?

22 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

In the books, other than the fact that Brienne might be dead, Sansa is probably the most different as she isn't married to Ramsey. Right? Everyone else is more or less on the same path. Or do I have that way wrong?

As far as "main" characters, that is probably pretty accurate.

A lot of them have taken somewhat different paths, but they are kind of headed the same direction, at least.

In the books, Brienne never runs into Arya and the Hound. She does show up at a monastery in the Saltpans looking for Sansa IIRC, and there's a character believed by most to be the Hound working there as a gravedigger.

The last we saw the Hound officially in the books, Arya left him for dead on a hillside after they encountered Rorge and Biter, and the Hound gets wounded.

6 minutes ago, Bronn said:

As far as "main" characters, that is probably pretty accurate.

A lot of them have taken somewhat different paths, but they are kind of headed the same direction, at least.

In the books, Brienne never runs into Arya and the Hound. She does show up at a monastery in the Saltpans looking for Sansa IIRC, and there's a character believed by most to be the Hound working there as a gravedigger.

The last we saw the Hound officially in the books, Arya left him for dead on a hillside after they encountered Rorge and Biter, and the Hound gets wounded.

Yeah my memory was that he was dead but she left him for dead? Wasn't there also some crazy ass murder mystery happening at the Citadel that went nowhere?

27 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

Yeah my memory was that he was dead but she left him for dead? Wasn't there also some crazy ass murder mystery happening at the Citadel that went nowhere?

He was dying. His wounds were infected, and were doing him in. She left him there much like she did in the show after the fight with Brienne. The theory is that someone from that monastery/septa or whatever they called it found him and healed him. The show kinda went there, so maybe it is true. They did confirm in the books that it was his horse, Stranger, in the stables of that place where the gravedigger was.

I think the Citadel plot you're talking about is the one about Alleras The Sphinx? I can't remember details other than it was later on in the books/still going on. I think the theory is that Alleras, a guy, was really Sarella Sand (Alleras = Sarella backwards) from Dornish bastardom (I think Oberyn's 4th/youngest daughter?) and is there trying to find out something about dragon eggs or something (I can't recall, have to google.) I think this person appeared in a prologue or epilogue where it was also implied that a Faceless person was there too, killing people and looking for similar info on dragons.

I just looked into it a little. Alleras is there, sure, but I can't remember if they had any interactions with the Faceless person I was talking about. That person is known as the Alchemist, and they killed Pate after getting a key to the Citadel.

The theories are that both Alleras (Sarella) and the Alchemist might be there seeking the same information, which is theorized to be something about dragons.

17 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

Yeah I'll have to read the book again at this point. I don't remember a lot of it. :)

I'm considering the same tbqh. If I don't do that, I'm going to at least poke around the ASOIAF wiki a lot, lol.

Archived