• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reverse sear

Jackofalltrades

Got a 1.5 lb bone in ribeye waiting on me for the morning and I keep hearing about how good steak is prepared with a reverse sear. I have yet to try it but would like to, has anyone tried it and do you have any tips?

I’ll be cooking it in a cast iron skillet in a combo of real butter and probably a tablespoon on bacon grease. I just use Redmond’s Real Salt and a black pepper grinder for seasoning generally. 

TIA

Well assuming you know the basics on how to do it, I would use oil (non-animal) to sear the steak and add butter/bacon fat later maybe a few min before done & baste both sides.

Butter will burn and mixing it with another animal fat like bacon they have about the same smoke point will also burn and could add some unwanted nasty flavors to your meat, because when you throw that steak into the skillet from the oven that skillet needs to be RAGING hot.

I use Avocado oil, & baste with grass fed butter mixed with a little minced garlic and rosemary just prior to taking the steak out of the skillet. 

P.S. Don't forget to fire up a nice Maduro after the meal :shades:

Nice

I'm partial to searing on the grill anyway, unless you have a high BTU stove top it’s questionable if you can get a cast iron pan as hot as it “should” be.

I’m doing a couple of Picanha cut steaks tonight for me and the wife tonight, I see your eggs in the back-round, now I’m thinking maybe serving with a sunny side egg on top.:thinking:

It's all I use professionally and at home, I inherited some nice 1940's Griswold cast iron pans from my grandmother they are slick as snot, as good as a modern Teflon pan.

The new Lodge pans you can buy commercially take time to season and break in to get that slickness, i have a few of those as well after about 10yr heavy use they are getting to that level too.

Check out garage sales and second hand stores people don't know what they have they see a old maybe rusty pan and get rid it of not knowing its a classic that with a little cleaning up will last another 50yrs+ 

26 minutes ago, PurityControl said:

It's all I use professionally and at home, I inherited some nice 1940's Griswold cast iron pans from my grandmother they are slick as snot, as good as a modern Teflon pan.

The new Lodge pans you can buy commercially take time to season and break in to get that slickness, i have a few of those as well after about 10yr heavy use they are getting to that level too.

Check out garage sales and second hand stores people don't know what they have they see a old maybe rusty pan and get rid it of not knowing its a classic that with a little cleaning up will last another 50yrs+ 

Why wife hit a Lodge outlet in Pigeon Forge a couple months ago and brought home 3 of them, seasoning is the task at hand. 

1 hour ago, Jackofalltrades said:

Why wife hit a Lodge outlet in Pigeon Forge a couple months ago and brought home 3 of them, seasoning is the task at hand. 

I like to season my cast iron outside on the charcoal grill get a raging fire, rub the entire pan with oil or even Lard put it upside down on the grate and let it bake all day/night until its cool to the touch. You can usually get higher temps on the grill then oven & without any of the potential smoke & mess.

I found this to be a good method to restoring old neglected rusty cast iron. 

8 hours ago, PurityControl said:

I like to season my cast iron outside on the charcoal grill get a raging fire, rub the entire pan with oil or even Lard put it upside down on the grate and let it bake all day/night until its cool to the touch. You can usually get higher temps on the grill then oven & without any of the potential smoke & mess.

I found this to be a good method to restoring old neglected rusty cast iron. 

Ooooh, consider it done!

@cookinbrak, with a reverse sear, you sear the meat at the end of the cook rather than at the beginning. You can either bake it low and slow or cook it in a sous vide cooker. They've also done plenty of tests that prove that searing beforehand doesn't actually seal in more juices, as post cook weights aren't significantly different. Searing is meant to create the crust on the outside of the steak due to the Mailliard reaction. 

I usually prepare any lean cut like filet mignon using a reverse sear. I either bake it for an hour at 250-275 or sous vide cook it for 1-2 hours, rest under tight foil for 10 mins then sear in cast iron for 2 mins on each side. They always turn out perfect. I prefer the baking method over sous vide. Sous vide is much better for chicken and super long cooks than for cooking steaks for dinner in my opinion. 

I bought a tub of clarified butter or ghee for use as my cooking fat for high heat because its smoke point is 485 degrees. I have used the same container for months and you don't have to refrigerate it. 

Just stumbled on this thread, but I have been opting for reverse sear on thick cut ribeyes lately.

The trick I've found is to make sure the steak is at room temperature before starting the process. By doing this you don't really have to let it sit after cooking.

The other night I did the following method-

1. Cook over indirect heat on the grill about 30 minutes (or until the meat is about 15 degrees under your preferrred cook temp)

2. Right before removing from grill, canola oil in le creuset cast iron skillet blazing hot

3. Lay the steak in and drop a couple tbsp of finishing butter - such as this:

T6-FC-Black-Truffle.png?zoom=1.5&resize=

4. 1 minute on both sides then pull out

5. enjoy

13 minutes ago, mjligon said:

Just stumbled on this thread, but I have been opting for reverse sear on thick cut ribeyes lately.

The trick I've found is to make sure the steak is at room temperature before starting the process. By doing this you don't really have to let it sit after cooking.

The other night I did the following method-

1. Cook over indirect heat on the grill about 30 minutes (or until the meat is about 15 degrees under your preferrred cook temp)

2. Right before removing from grill, canola oil in le creuset cast iron skillet blazing hot

3. Lay the steak in and drop a couple tbsp of finishing butter - such as this:

T6-FC-Black-Truffle.png?zoom=1.5&resize=

4. 1 minute on both sides then pull out

5. enjoy

Agree with the room temp comment. That's something I forgot to mention. It has made a noticeable difference in my results. 

Archived