• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Haunting of Hill House

Pejorative Miscreant

No spoilers in this post:

I’ve binged to Ep6 so far. Acting is great, directing is top notch, camera work is amazing.  I was afraid the horror thing was going to get played out, but so far it hasn’t.

Each episode basically develops each family member, which is great for getting us invested in the story. Ep1 was probably the scariest, but the each episode is creepy. 

This show is essentially what I hope American Hotror story was supposed to be. I had no idea there was a book. 

Just watched it over the weekend. As far as scary shows go, it was good. Some great editing and jump scares that didn't feel cheap. They deviated wildly from the original book, but I liked what they did. It felt a lot like a mixture of the Shining, IT, and AHS season one, which were all inspired by the original in some way. 

Young Hugh has to be the worst spouse in the world. Totally in denial and falling down on the job of being a dad. Also, who in the fuc k were they going to flip that house for?! No matter how much you spruced it up, it was still creepy as hell. No one was going to buy that house, so the idea that they were going to flip it was a really weak premise in my opinion. 

So about that ending....

I’d like to rewatch the series to see how it all connects but first impression is the ending sorta feels like a cop out. Like, the ghosts are all of a sudden happily ever after? What about all that fugged up poo we just witnesssd for nine episodes? It just doesn’t vibe right to have such a heart warming ending imo. Appparently the original plan was for the end to show all the children together and happy outside of the house, only for the camera to reveal the “red room” window, meaning they are still in that room in some sense. But the writer/director decided the night before filming that he liked these characters too much to put them through that hell.

I think that would have been an interesting open-ended ending and more fitting to the series as a whole. Oh well, it wasn’t a terrible ending. It’ll be interesting to see if the next season is based on an entirely new house and characters.

Archived