• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should have tanked

OldNorthPowell

I wanted to believe in this team this year, but my belief in the offseason of the team needing to tank may prove to be correct. This was a good year to tank. Top heavy, but good draft in the top 5 to 7. Instead we may be picking around 11 to 14. Our typical spot in the last 4 to 5 years. Should have tanked. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

For the draft lottery? The Bobcats had the worst team in NBA history, and still couldn't get the 1st pick.

All this talk of tanking frankly sounds like the reaction of a child.

How about actually improve the league itself?

Ask Philly about that or maybe Cleveland or OKC. It tends to pan out quite a bit. Picking at 10 to 12 every year is not improving the team. Results speak for themselves. Rich Cho is no longer around, give Mitch a chance. He hit a homerun with Bridges. The league will not change any time soon. They are okay with super teams. 

Yea the NBA isn't changing, if anything it will continue to go more and more towards super teams because it seems like that's what the new age players want. The only way to truly compete will be going the Philly/GS route or being a major market or such. 

Charlotte isn't the latter so it has to go the former route. Only way to compete is to tank and take chances. 

Trade Kemba for a first and a group of young players while his stock is at it's highest. Go full on complete tank and get a top 3 pick. Repeat next year. You then have Bridges, Monk and two younger players to build a team around. With Mitch the draft shouldn't be a complete crap shoot. 

In the NBA you really only have two options to compete, small markets only have one option and then they have to hit homeruns.

4 hours ago, Billy_T said:

They did, went 7-59, worst in entire history of NBA.  Went 28-120 over the course of 2 years....

....it didn't work.

So, doing it once and going full retard and picking MKG over Bradley Beal (who I wanted), Drummond, and even Damian Lillard for instance. Means we shouldn't do it again? There's some logic there, I'm sure. 

On 12/6/2018 at 4:58 PM, OldNorthPowell said:

Ask Philly about that or maybe Cleveland or OKC. It tends to pan out quite a bit. Picking at 10 to 12 every year is not improving the team. Results speak for themselves. Rich Cho is no longer around, give Mitch a chance. He hit a homerun with Bridges. The league will not change any time soon. They are okay with super teams. 

You're dreaming if you think the league is going to conspire to give us even half as many top picks as they did for Cleveland. That whole thing was painfully obviously rigged.

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

You're dreaming if you think the league is going to conspire to give us even half as many top picks as they did for Cleveland. That whole thing was painfully obviously rigged.

Hope for better, young talent is better than being stuck in purgatory. Picks 10 to 14 for 4 years straight or something like that. I am sure that will bring hope.........any day now........yep.........just keep waiting.........anyyyyyyyyyyyy day now.

33 minutes ago, OldNorthPowell said:

Hope for better, young talent is better than being stuck in purgatory. Picks 10 to 14 for 4 years straight or something like that. I am sure that will bring hope.........any day now........yep.........just keep waiting.........anyyyyyyyyyyyy day now.

We both want the same thing. I'm just saying the league doesn't give a poo about small market teams like the Hornets. Can't expect any help from the NBA. Hornets are going to have to make their own luck if they ever expect to compete with the best teams. That begins with ridding ourselves of the same brand of mediocrity that has plagued teams in this city like the Panthers over the years as well. Tanking is just more of the same loser franchise mentality that has plagued the city of Charlotte.

7 hours ago, TheRed said:

We both want the same thing. I'm just saying the league doesn't give a poo about small market teams like the Hornets. Can't expect any help from the NBA. Hornets are going to have to make their own luck if they ever expect to compete with the best teams. That begins with ridding ourselves of the same brand of mediocrity that has plagued teams in this city like the Panthers over the years as well. Tanking is just more of the same loser franchise mentality that has plagued the city of Charlotte.

Tanking is the only way we are going to get big name players, it is that simple. I am not sure why Charlotte is considered a small market. The Carolinas have 17 million people. Charlotte's market stretches into parts of Virginia and east Tennessee as well. I would consider Charlotte a mid-market, but either way terminology doesn't matter. The NBA allows only a handful of franchises to thrive in the biggest markets, we agree on that point. I agree that we both want to see the team get out of being mediocre. However, I will have to respectfully disagree with your approach, as you will mine as well.

10 hours ago, Billy_T said:

So, what was their Carolinas campaign then? I see plenty of Hornets stuff outside Charlotte in the Carolinas. If the Hornets do not claim the Carolinas as a market, then neither do the Panthers. Seems like dumb logic to me. The NBA does only care about a handful of teams.  That is why most of the championships are by a handful of teams. 

12 hours ago, Billy_T said:

Again everyone is entitled to their OPINIONS, whether logical or not. The NBA pushes big markets and doesn't give a crap about its smaller markets. This doesn't mean smaller markets cannot win. It just simply means the NBA makes it harder to do so (foul calls, promotion, draft picks). The Hornets have the same market as the Panthers for reasons that are very obvious. Nobody said they have tapped into this market successfully. It is still their market to tap into.

Archived