• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At what point do you blame players for their own mistakes?

pantherclaw

While I don't hold.the coaches blameless, I see many in this thread failed to actually answer the question. 

This team as a whole (players and coaches) had more to over come this season than I have ever witnessed in a.lifetime of watching the NFL. 

The 6-2 start was absolutely crazy considering the patchwork oline, and our defense failing to execute early on. 

I've witnessed Rivera coached teams beat up, and win against the best teams in the league. Both in Charlotte and on the road. I've seen it way to often  to sit here and say Rivera can't coach. 

The team has issues. They can be addressed. 

Players playing to their abilities, and not trying.to do more than they are asked/coaches to do, and we would be talking playoffs. 

Personally mistakes should be separated from systemic to individual.

notice the Patriots play disciplined systemically as a unit. They are always in the right positions, always the right scheme,.. players put in positions to beat their strengths.

when a player is schemed to be in position but misses their tackle when it was the right matchup, fails to beat their man one on one, drops a pass when everyone else has been catching,.. it’s an individual mistake and notice they get benched.

when it’s everyone,.. and it’s systemic,.. it’s the coaches showing bad leadership, fostering a culture that is ok with it, players out in bad schemes,.. matched up with players they should never be— that’s on the coaches.

3 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

While I don't hold.the coaches blameless, I see many in this thread failed to actually answer the question. 

This team as a whole (players and coaches) had more to over come this season than I have ever witnessed in a.lifetime of watching the NFL. 

The 6-2 start was absolutely crazy considering the patchwork oline, and our defense failing to execute early on. 

I've witnessed Rivera coached teams beat up, and win against the best teams in the league. Both in Charlotte and on the road. I've seen it to much to sit here and say Rivera can't coach. 

The team has issues. They can be addressed. 

They can be address yes, but much of the Panthers players are simply not talented.

People want to say otherwise but as Parcells says ‘you are what your record says you are’

People don’t want to believe that but the fact is whether the players are to blame or not, the GM and the HC put them in that position 

one doesn’t have to be too smart to know that starting a 37 year old at safety and defensive end isn’t a great way to go into a season or choosing to keep the more expensive kicker, or not addressing a poor offensive line or better yet, not getting a decent backup for a QB1 that had surgery the year before

this is the creation of Rivera along with Hurney and Gettleman.   No one else   Poor drafts.  Poor salary cap management 

...and the worst yet in the salary cap era,not failing to retool and rebuild every year. It is a business not a retirement farewell tour. That’s one of the reasons why NE has five rings and Carolina has zero

Front office and coaching take majority of the blame. As many of others have said. Even though mistakes were made by players we were right in the losses except maybe one or two. Coaching decisions and mis management of time in the pros is just unheard of until we get to the Panthers. Just like most say Cams footwork should have been corrected by now it' the same for Ron. The difference with Cam is that Cam can make up for his bad footwork in other ways. Cam came into the league with the issue and still is an X factor. Can't say that about Ron. Yes, it' Cams fault for making errant throws but at the same time if the coach knows his  shoulder is preventing him from making the throws then why is he in the game. You have a back up QB that you have chosen that you say u believe in play him. Funchess dropped several balls next week on the injury report. If he was hurt why was he playing. When you saw he couldn't catch a ball why was he not benched. DC defense played like poo even in the wins, bad blow out where it looked like we had no defense on the field Ron continued to let this man be DC until after playoffs were a joke. Ron has put these players in a none win situation. You have a bench use them. Funchess has hurt his money probably playing when he should not have been, Cam probably ruined his arm playing when he should not have been nd Olsen also playing when he should not have been those reps should have been given to back ups so that they could get experience and better as the season progressed. We have a team of old veterans with backups who have been on the team for maybe 3yrs or 2 who have never gotten live game experience. Now when they get out there and play look green as hell. You would too if you have never been really used like maybe a couple of times in 2yrs. What kind of practice is Ron fielding? Players 40% coaching and front office 60%.

Archived