• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Potential June 1st cut possiblities

AU-panther

As we all know Captain has been cut.  Also it is my understand that neither him or Adams will be designated June 1st cuts.  Since Captain is no longer on the team I can find the details of his previous contract but I'm pretty sure we could have saved some cap space this year by making him a June 1st cut, if I'm wrong about that somebody please correct me.  If that is the case than it seems like we are saving our June 1st cut designations.

According to this article each team is allowed to designate 2 players as June 1st cuts.  So even if they are saving one for Kalil that still leaves another one they could have used on Captain.  Seems like they might be planning on using 2.

https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

Who is everyone's best guess on who the 2 are?

Kalil, Addison, and Poe are 3 players that would offer up substantial cap relieve with a June 1st designation.  Cam, Luke, Short, and Turner all fit the profile also but I don't see us getting rid of any of them .

It would be absolutely idiotic of us to cut Mario. Not only is he our only proven NFL edge rusher, but he's also one of the best veteran values on the roster. We've taken roughly $12M in cap hit over the last two years for 20 sacks. That's incredible bang for the buck. His cap hit jumps to $10.6M this year but given his performance that's still very solid value.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It would be absolutely idiotic of us to cut Mario. Not only is he our only proven NFL edge rusher, but he's also one of the best veteran values on the roster. We've taken roughly $12M in cap hit over the last two years for 20 sacks. That's incredible bang for the buck. His cap hit jumps to $10.6M this year but given his performance that's still very solid value.

I think Addison's deal should be extended, tbqh, and we should get some cap room there.

I still haven't read the details on Captain's "release" other than him being informed he would be released. If it isn't official, he could very well get one of the designations.

Kalil should 100% get the other.

The only other option I've considered at this point is Greg Olsen. He's old in football terms, and I'm not sold he'll ever come back. I think with him it will be an actual "wait and see" situation and he could be released after June 1st, thus requiring no designation.

Poe could be decent as a 3-4 rotational DT, and I give him more credit in our run D 4-3 than most do. He's another candidate that should have a base restructure, freeing up some money for this year.

2 minutes ago, Bronn said:

I think Addison's deal should be extended, tbqh, and we should get some cap room there.

I still haven't read the details on Captain's "release" other than him being informed he would be released. If it isn't official, he could very well get one of the designations.

Kalil should 100% get the other.

The only other option I've considered at this point is Greg Olsen. He's old in football terms, and I'm not sold he'll ever come back. I think with him it will be an actual "wait and see" situation and he could be released after June 1st, thus requiring no designation.

Poe could be decent as a 3-4 rotational DT, and I give him more credit in our run D 4-3 than most do. He's another candidate that should have a base restructure, freeing up some money for this year.

Please no yo restructruing Poe. Stuff like that is how Hurney got us in cap hell the first go round. The huge issue with converting salary to bonus to creat more immediate cap space is that it pushes guaranteed money down the line leading to less flexibility in the future. 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Please no yo restructruing Poe. Stuff like that is how Hurney got us in cap hell the first go round. The huge issue with converting salary to bonus to creat more immediate cap space is that it pushes guaranteed money down the line leading to less flexibility in the future. 

It wouldn't be terrible IIRC. Only about 1.5M in space spread out over his last two seasons. I'd rather keep him and get a little bit of cap room right now than release him outright and have DT jump even higher on our list of needs. I fully expect Butler is gone, so if we can Poe, we're looking at KK Short, Woodrow Hamilton, and Elijah Qualls as our current DTs.

We'd save $6M cutting Poe post June 1st, sure, but you aren't getting a good replacement for that much this year unless you plan on drafting one of the top ones in the first round.

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Short and Kalil is my guess. Is Gano an option?

I hadn't thought about Short but honestly that could be a possibility. Unless there's some injury situation or other behind the scenes reason to explain his play last year, we probably shouldn't dismiss that possibility. Short was not good last year. I thought that without Star and with Pep's fall off that he may have been seeing a ton of double teams but going back and watching some snaps that just want the case. He didn't see many double teams. I watched him consistently get handled and often times washed completely out of the play by single blockers. Thats entirely unacceptable for the guy who is being paid to be the anchor of our DL. He was a JAG last year and he hit us for $17M against the cap to do it. 

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Short and Kalil is my guess. Is Gano an option?

I would be shocked if it was Short.  Personally I think a lot of people around here have overstated his regression.  Instead of being a top 5 DT in the league, maybe he played like a top 20 one last year.  It would offer up substantial cap savings this year though.

Gano makes some sense financially.  If you cut him without the designation we would actually lose cap space this year.  Designated him would present some savings this year, all be it, not a huge amount though, around $2m.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/carolina-panthers/

Archived