• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Playoff bound

lightsout

Let's just think back to the last time a Canes team made the playoffs.

We were all 10 years younger.

Brindy was the Captain.

The team had 97 points (and we're currently at 97)

Cam Ward was still relevant and playing well. 

Peter Laviolette was the coach. Paul Maurice was also here.

Eric Staal had scored 40 goals

Ray Whitney had a 77 point season.

Justin Williams had only played in 32 games that year.

I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry was a chart topper.

I Love You, Man starring Paul Rudd was in theaters.

Basically, it was a very long time ago. I really hope this sub takes off over the next couple of months. This team deserves all the excitement and hype after being so close for years. Feels good to know we're guaranteed at least 5 more games.

I think it's incredible.

It's been frustrating to hear relocation whispers....and unfair. The Canes have finally given the fans of the region a reason to come out of the shadows. If a team loses for 10 years...it may not be the location that's the problem. All Carolina team sports fans have had a tough year. With both the Panthers and Hornets collapsing down the stretch.  The fans need to turn to the only pro team in the Carolinas that's ever won the championship to fight for another. This team and the fans have needed this for so long.

Another thing as to why this is such a big deal. The Canes have a shot. This isnt like a Hornets season...where they hover between 8th and 10th spot all year...and squeak in praying not to get swept.  The Hurricanes have played the second best hockey in the NHL...since January.  That's sustained quality play for 3 months. That's more then an anomaly. That's Stanley Cup quality hockey...and the brand of hockey looks oddly familiar to 06 to me. 

I think there is something about Roddy leading the team that intertwines the present with a nostalgic past that makes the energy the team is giving the fans more intense. When that's coupled with a young and very talented team that's going to be together for the next few years...that's a lot to get excited about.

20 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I think it's incredible.

It's been frustrating to hear relocation whispers....and unfair. The Canes have finally given the fans of the region a reason to come out of the shadows. If a team loses for 10 years...it may not be the location that's the problem. All Carolina team sports fans have had a tough year. With both the Panthers and Hornets collapsing down the stretch.  The fans need to turn to the only pro team in the Carolinas that's ever won the championship to fight for another. This team and the fans have needed this for so long.

Another thing as to why this is such a big deal. The Canes have a shot. This isnt like a Hornets season...where they hover between 8th and 10th spot all year...and squeak in praying not to get swept.  The Hurricanes have played the second best hockey in the NHL...since January.  That's sustained quality play for 3 months. That's more then an anomaly. That's Stanley Cup quality hockey...and the brand of hockey looks oddly familiar to 06 to me. 

I think there is something about Roddy leading the team that intertwines the present with a nostalgic past that makes the energy the team is giving the fans more intense. When that's coupled with a young and very talented team that's going to be together for the next few years...that's a lot to get excited about.

The relocation whispers are fuging frustrating. The Pens had the worst attendance in the NHL, if not the worst, it was bottom 5 before they Drafted Sidney Crosby. I had a friend of mine, one of my best friends in fact tell me this. It's pretty simple really, if you want fans to come out, WIN. Don't lose for 9 years straight. WIN. WIN. Also, WIN. 

I found it astonishing that teams just played Red Rover with average coaches every season (including us)- just rearranging furniture with Maurice, Laviolette, Peters, etc. While a lot of us were begging for something new. And between Brind-A'mour and getting lucky in the lottery, things are really looking up.

PS Thanks, Minnesota!!

Archived