• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tommie Harris

SteveSmithOwns

I was thinking of how next season, we are still going to have the same problems as this season, and some of the ways to repair them. WR, DT and QB all need to be addressed in the offseason, and obviously, without a first round pick, there is no way to do this unless we think of other viable options. One of these could be Tommie Harris, a 3 time Pro Bowl DT who is clearly unhappy and unwanted in Chicago. This week, Harris got benched by his coach, and was not happy about it.

There are a few reasons why this could actually work. The first is that we have already been trade partners with the Bears for Chris Harris, so there is history, which is always good if you are trying to get something done. The next is almost the same thing that happened with Kris Jenkins. He just didn't want to play in that city, which is happening to Harris as well. But once Jenkins got too a new city, he rejuvenated his career. Thirdly, because the Bears may want to get rid of this guy, it would cost us significantly less of a draft pick for a player who can be one of the best at his positions. We got a third rounder for Jenkins, but we would probably have to trade a 2nd rounder for Harris.

I think there are alot more upsides than downsides to this trade. If Harris doesn't work out, you lose a draft pick, costly, but not destructive, especially considering we don't have a first this upcoming draft anyway. If it does work out, you get an All Pro calliber DT who could anchor our D-line for years, the likes of which he haven't seen since Jenkins.

And no, I don't think we could trade Peppers for him 1 for 1.

Thoughts?

I'd like to get an elite DT but we're at least decent enough there that we can hold off on that until we fix more pressing needs.

If we get a couple 3rd/4th round compensatory picks then we'll end up with 5 picks in the first 4 rounds and this is a deep draft at the positions we need, so not having a 1st rounder shouldn't hurt us too bad.

Plus if Peppers is gone that's 18 mill of cap space we have to use on FAs and it's still possible we have an uncapped year so then who knows what will happen.

What exactly has happened in this situation?

Harris was once a force, but I seem to recall some Bears fans being frustrated with his tendency for jumping the snap early a lot. Any of our residents clear that up and the situation regarding his position in the team?

The guy is only 26, but has mileage on his body having played since 2004 and missed several games due to injury.

With the guys coming back from IR you would assume this would be a luxury to aquire, but Kemo could well be done and with Thomas only being a one year stop gap we suddenly only have 5 DTs, including Hayden and Tyler who are both yet to prove their worth.

What this move would actually do, is ensure that we would not need to draft a DL player for a year or two and could specifically focus on our major problems. Is it worth giving up a second though? I would doubt it. I would look for a deal close to Jenks. They have the same pedigree and Jenks is a little more complete, although more malcontent.

Whoever said we could not get him for Pep straight up is high. Pep-Harris-Leonard-Johnson or Brown-Harris-Leonard-Johnson looks good to me. Then we have depth with Taylor and Tyler. Imagine a situation where we lose, Kemo, Thomas, Pep and Brayton. I think if there is a chance this avenue should be explored. Unless it's for a second.

Alot of you guys have said that we have 3 DT's coming back from IR, but you don't want to be in a situation relying on those guys. Kemo is 30, and has alot of miles on his body, and nobody is sure if he is going to even be 100% coming back from surgery. a torn tendon, though healed, will still be easier to injure again then if he had always been healthy. The other two guys, we can't rely on, as they don't have the experience needed.

I wish our only concern was QB, but being realistic, we can't rely on guys coming back from injury.

Alot of you guys have said that we have 3 DT's coming back from IR, but you don't want to be in a situation relying on those guys. Kemo is 30, and has alot of miles on his body, and nobody is sure if he is going to even be 100% coming back from surgery. a torn tendon, though healed, will still be easier to injure again then if he had always been healthy. The other two guys, we can't rely on, as they don't have the experience needed.

I wish our only concern was QB, but being realistic, we can't rely on guys coming back from injury.

Achilees tendons are notoriously difficult to recover from as they have little to no blood supply flowing there. Once you have a problem with them, they are there for life.

exactly, which is why we atleast need to look at the situation and see if there is anyway we can get him for fifty cents on the dollar.

the guy is a run stuffer too while bringing pressure. I don't see us keeping Peppers after next year, but with Johnson, Harris, Kemo and Brown on the d-line, that is not a bad situation.

Archived