• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Soccer....

SCP

If you accept it as part of the game, it's really not a big deal. You're talking about something that factors in to less than 3% of a match. The EPL has instituted yellow cards for players caught taking a dive in order to reduce that part of the game. It's one of the sticking points detractors point to when they say they don't like the game, but in reality it's not really that big of a deal. It's like basketball players trying to draw a charge by falling down on contact.

But the basketball players get back up. It's not THAT soccer players take a dive, it's HOW they take a dive that I have a probelm with.

I love soccer. I think it is fun to watch. In England it is huge. I read somewhere that when Manchester United added the stripe to the top of their jersies the BBC or something like that cut in from regular live programming to go to the live press conference announcing that THEY WERE ADDING A STRIPE TO THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY. That was it. No player signing, just the fact that a stripe was being added to the jersey.

. If you're in Charlotte Jack's is a good spot.

the TVs now have big black smudges on them(not all). Oh, and you have to listen to the Jukebox.

that place cold be so much better if it were managed correctly. They cant seem to even get 5 different football games on 5 tv's within 20 feet of each other in a row.

The idea that someone can say baseball is boring but soccer is exciting, cracks me the fug up.

Yep. Some of the best sporting events I have been to in my life have been MLB games. Game 5 of the 2003 World Series when Alex Gonzalez hit a walk-off homer off Weaver in the 12th to win it for the Marlins is numero uno. It was Roger's "last game" and the atmosphere was amazing. Every pitch means so much in playoff baseball. If you truly love baseball, game 1 of the season means as much as game 162. Great sport. Soccer, not so much IMO.

i gotta say i have an eclectic sports taste. I like a lot of Euro Sports (F1, ProTour Cycling), as well as all the American mainstays.

Soccer wasnt easy. probably because my experience with soccer consisted of being drug to my little bothers games as a kid, and watching the US Team. Watching the world cup last time around was great. Watching the top Premier teams and La Liga teams is good too. Granted, i wont tune in to watch leagues that arent top tier, but at the top level of the sport i can appreciate. I also think there isnt as much diving and carting people off on stretchers as there use to be. I hated that and it turned me off.

I understand why people have a hard time watching bike racing. Its really hard to understand, or appreciate if you havent raced at all or climbed some of those mountains. You just cant understand what those guys can do physically, drugs or not.

I like F1 for the technical aspects of the sport and the strategy of pitting, tires, fuel. No you dont get as much side by side racing, but i truely believe those are the best drivers in the world. Not to say Jeff Gordon or Jimmy J couldnt compete with some time and the right car.

How can you not like it?!?!

There's nothing like getting up at 6:30 in the morning and putting on that Villa claret kit and watch some football.

I don't get how it's a "pussy" sport either, let's have some of you guys go out there for 90 minutes and run back and fourth on 100-130 yard field.

Plus I've never seen a football player die on the field either, and football fans are nowhere near as passionate as soccer fans

Yep. Some of the best sporting events I have been to in my life have been MLB games. Game 5 of the 2003 World Series when Alex Gonzalez hit a walk-off homer off Weaver in the 12th to win it for the Marlins is numero uno. It was Roger's "last game" and the atmosphere was amazing. Every pitch means so much in playoff baseball. If you truly love baseball, game 1 of the season means as much as game 162. Great sport. Soccer, not so much IMO.

But but, soccer is like chess....baseball has no strategy :)

Because they aren't completely different or anything.

I ain't the one that made the comparison, chief...I only commented that it cracks me up that someone who thinks soccer is exciting, can also view baseball as boring. Same goes for people who love to watch golf on TV and then moan about how boring baseball is.

IMHO, they're equally as boring to watch on TV...BUT they're also many times over, better to watch in person. I've been to many MLB games in person, quite a few in which I had no, uhh, I guess you could say, "vested interest" in either team playing. But, it was great being in a park I'd never been to before and watching the game in person.

I can take or leave soccer on TV (even though I used to make early weekend morning treks (2hrs each way) to the DC suburbs to watch Celtic live), but one of the best games I'd ever been to was a match in Glasgow at Celtic Park (and Celtic came out on the losing end). The atmosphere was electric, which made it a fun time.

Archived