• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sound familiar?

KillaCamNewton

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/9/25/16358806/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-interceptions-shoulder

Im admittedly pretty down right now about Cam. This is my favorite player ever, and seeing an absolute cyborg of a human look so weak, thin, and mentally drained is hard to watch. That being said - stumbling across this article actually gave me a little bit of hope. We were having this same discussion 2 years ago, and it wasnt soon after that before Cam put together arguably the best season of his career outside of his MVP season. A season that was played mostly without Greg Olsen and filled with a receiving corps consisting of Devin Funchess, Brenton Bersin and Caelin Klay. Cam almost single-handedly carried (he also led the team in rushing) a team with journeymen receivers, Matt Kalil at left tackle, and the worst defense in the league the second half of the year to 11-5, with games that Cam outdueled Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers in shootouts and put together a 31 point performance against the Vikings and their top ranked defense. He also put together one of the best playoff performances in the SuperDome that gets forgotten due to a lousy effort from Funchess on the potential game winning TD. 

Maybe I’m in denial and holding onto something that is gone, but it definitely is something to think about. Cam has never really started out a season “good” outside of his rookie season where he set the league on fire and last season where he was having an MVP caliber season before he got hurt. Cam might be “done” - he might not be, but Im not buying the idea that his decline and deterioration began at the end of 2016, he put way too many superhuman performances together for me to believe that. 

He looks terrible right now, but I think we at least need to let him ride it out this season to see if it gets better. He’s proven he will almost always get better as the season goes on, and reality is neither of our backup QBs are leading us to the playoffs anyways

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's true for a lot of guys until they hit a certain point.

The question will be whether Newton's found the proverbial wall.

He’s 30 years old. This should be his prime. I was a huge Kobe Bryant fan my whole life, he hit a wall where his body simply broke down after an achilles tear. To me hitting a wall is just when you are too old to last through the wear and tear of a season. Cam just might need a new method of treatment for his shoulder. Maybe that Lebron HGH plan, lol

1 minute ago, KillaCamNewton said:

He’s 30 years old. This should be his prime. I was a huge Kobe Bryant fan my whole life, he hit a wall where his body simply broke down after an achilles tear. To me hitting a wall is just when you are too old to last through the wear and tear of a season. Cam just might need a new method of treatment for his shoulder. Maybe that Lebron HGH plan, lol

I just hope the cumulative wear and tear of getting pounded for 8 years straight hasn’t caught up with him. Something is off. Him not running AT ALL is a big red flag for me. Cam isn’t Cam if he’s not running at least a little bit.

4 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

That's prime for the average quarterback.

Newton isn't the average quarterback.

It's not at all unusual for quarterbacks that play a very physical style of football to have a shorter shelf life.  We always knew that was a possibility with Newton. And admittedly, the way the Panthers have used him hasn't done him any favors.

I'm not prepared to say he's definitely hit the wall, but I do have to admit seeing how quickly he got injured the first time he saw real action in the preseason makes me nervous.

Archived