• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

four possibilities that could happen this sunday concerning kyle allen

Saca312

Just now, TheRed said:

Agreed. It's more beneficial to the team to wait and see what happens next year. If they choose to move on there will be a more significant market for a former MVP because there are always teams desperate for a QB in the offseason.

Right now there is no downside to playing the season with options at QB in a wide open NFC should we make our way into the playoffs.

Truthfully though part of me wonders if Newton wouldn't just retire should the team and him ultimately go their separate ways. That's a tough reality of football.

I think the possibility of Newton retiring after this season is way more realistic than people think.

Not to say that it's going to happen mind you, but it is a definite option.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fair point.

Also Kerry Collins, Jimmy Clausen and I suppose Matt Moore if you want to go that route.

Yea, that's what I was getting at.  This franchise has NEVER been shy about handing over the reigns to unproven QB's.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think the possibility of Newton retiring after this season is way more realistic than people think.

Not to say that it's going to happen mind you, but it is a definite option.

Would be a sad ending to a very promising career, but not at all unsurprising.

2 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Would be a sad ending to a very promising career, but not at all unsurprising.

Fairy tale endings in the NFL are few and far between.

Heck, think back to all the guys who were the heroes of our 2003 season. Did any of them go out "on their own terms"?

Jake sure as hell didn't.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fairy tale endings in the NFL are few and far between.

Heck, think back to all the guys who were the heroes of our 2003 season. Did any of them go out "on their own terms"?

Jake sure as hell didn't.

Steve was just about the closest...and even that was a nasty breakup here.

we had better not put either of them on the block this year, not unless cam says he's had it with this franchise and its his choice.  does he deserve to walk back into the starting lineup no matter how the team is playing, well, i'm glad that's not my decision.  how we got such a tough schedule as a 3rd place team in our division is crazy. if we get in the playoffs after losing our starting qb and first 2 games, this season will have been wildly successful.  

23 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Nothing has changed and nothing new has been said about this situation since the first week of Kyle Allen playing.

Eeehhh, that's not really true.

Early on, Rivera was willing to say definitively that it was Newton's job as soon as he was ready to come back. He hasn't been willing to say that since. In fact, he's been seen as deliberately vague on the issue.

Likewise, nobody was initially prepared to believe a quarterback controversy was possible. Now a lot of analysts believe it could happen, and others think it already is.

Granted, it still may end up playing out exactly as everybody believed it would in the beginning, but the discussion has definitely changed...a lot.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Early on, Rivera was willing to say definitively that it was Newton's job as soon as he was ready to come back. He hasn't been willing to say that since. In fact, he's been seen as deliberately vague on the issue.

Conversely, I think it's fair to argue based on Cam's reaction to everything thus far, he's fairly sure his job is safe. I mean I'm pretty sure Cam would be acting very differently if he knew there was a big threat to his job.

5 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Conversely, I think it's fair to argue based on Cam's reaction to everything thus far, he's fairly sure his job is safe. I mean I'm pretty sure Cam would be acting very differently if he knew there was a big threat to his job.

I haven't seen anything out of Newton that makes me believe one way or the other.

Won't claim to know what's gonna happen, but if you think Newton losing his job is just categorically impossible, you're ignoring evidence to the contrary.

Gun to my head, I still think he ultimately starts again but it's not a given.

Nor will it necessarily be a mistake, depending on the circumstances.

Archived