• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why blame Marty?

Matt62881

4 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

Well the backup qb wasn't supposed to see significant time except for a freak injury.

And yet, last season and this season the backup has not only played significant snaps, they have started significant games.

Are you saying that Marty cannot look at history and see that the breaking down of Cam Newton was something that the team ABSOLUTELY needed to plan for?

12 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Gettleman set that roster. 

Alot of Martys picks graced that roster....our wr1 was ted ginn, we went to the SB off the energy and leadership provided by Cam Newton and the scheme was so bad against the falcons that year we still lost one!!!

11 minutes ago, Toomers said:

But the same coach is 51-29-1 with 4 playoff appearances in 5 years With one GM and 25-33 with nothing with the other. How does that fit in with that theory

Because Cam Newton's back is broke from carrying Ron, the 4 years G man wae here and we had all that success was still off of Martys roster outside of sone excellent FA acquisitions....i takes more then a few years to change a roster.

10 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

Because Cam Newton's back is broke from carrying Ron, the 4 years G man wae here and we had all that success was still off of Martys roster outside of sone excellent FA acquisitions....i takes more then a few years to change a roster.

So your theory is anytime anyone plays well it’s because of Hurney,  but anything else is blamed on coaches, players or other GMs.

Seriously?  And let’s not mention the 50M in dead cap space he had to deal with while building that team. 

No WRs

1 OL(Kalil)

1 DL(Charles Johnson and his 20M cap hit for below average play)

1 DB(Norman) 

He drafted for a decade, I would hope he found a couple good ones. 

It's tough to factor a GM into any one game.  Much easier to do that for a whole season.  So far, and a continued trend for Marty, it is a subpar OL.  This is ultimately why I think he isn't the man for the job.  We haven't drafted an OL in the first round since Jordan Gross.  We continue to try to find bargains and hope they pan out which the majority of them haven't.  Daley and Little show promise but they will have growing pains that Kyle and our 2020 QB will have to battle through which is awful timing if we keep Cam for 2020.  On the interior we are a mess... Trai is still our best but he hasn't played as well as he has in years past, Paradis is not good plain and simple, and GVR is as inconsistent as they come.  All of this bad OL play is on Hurney as it was during his first stint with the Panthers.

If we would have given Cam an OL that was worth a damn lord knows what we could have accomplished.  But no... here we are... Cam a huge question mark after 2 shoulder surgeries and a foot injury largely because Hurney FAILED to protect the most valuable piece on the field AGAIN.   

1 minute ago, BudFox said:

Beyond his picks, Hurney's also let this team fire mid level assistants as scapegoats and we have a defensive coordinator that doesn't even call plays.  Sounds like a winner.

Yea my one complaint for marty is he needs have more of a backbone...eric washington never should have been promoted and shula never should have been around that long or put in place to begin with.

27 minutes ago, BigMac said:

It's tough to factor a GM into any one game.  Much easier to do that for a whole season.  So far, and a continued trend for Marty, it is a subpar OL.  This is ultimately why I think he isn't the man for the job.  We haven't drafted an OL in the first round since Jordan Gross.  We continue to try to find bargains and hope they pan out which the majority of them haven't.  Daley and Little show promise but they will have growing pains that Kyle and our 2020 QB will have to battle through which is awful timing if we keep Cam for 2020.  On the interior we are a mess... Trai is still our best but he hasn't played as well as he has in years past, Paradis is not good plain and simple, and GVR is as inconsistent as they come.  All of this bad OL play is on Hurney as it was during his first stint with the Panthers.

If we would have given Cam an OL that was worth a damn lord knows what we could have accomplished.  But no... here we are... Cam a huge question mark after 2 shoulder surgeries and a foot injury largely because Hurney FAILED to protect the most valuable piece on the field AGAIN.   

I agree he has neglected the oline too much but injuries have hurt this one and i still feel its better then what Cam had. If we work on the oline nrxt season skys the limit

1 minute ago, Matt62881 said:

I agree he has neglected the oline too much but injuries have hurt this one and i still feel its better then what Cam. If we work on the oline nrxt season skys the limit

He had this past offseason to work on the line.  He brought in Paradis, Little, Daley, and signed Van Roten to a contract extension.

How is that working out?

10 minutes ago, Toomers said:

So your theory is anytime anyone plays well it’s because of Hurney,  but anything else is blamed on coaches, players or other GMs.

Seriously?  And let’s not mention the 50M in dead cap space he had to deal with while building that team. 

No WRs

1 OL(Kalil)

1 DL(Charles Johnson and his 20M cap hit for below average play)

1 DB(Norman) 

He drafted for a decade, I would hope he found a couple good ones. 

Marty 1.0 was good for one thing, drafting in the first round, his cap management was atrocious. However Marty 2.0 has shown improvements in many areas and drafts well beyond the 1st. If you show me a GM thats better then him thag we could get the by all means id love to have him. However even above average gms dont grow on trees.

Just now, Matt62881 said:

I agree he has neglected the oline too much but injuries have hurt this one and i still feel its better then what Cam. If we work on the oline nrxt season skys the limit

Neglecting the OL is enough for me to not want him. I have no faith we will put anything into the OL next year.  Building the OL is something he should have done 7 years ago when we realized Cam was the future...  

1 minute ago, Matt62881 said:

Marty 1.0 was good for one thing, drafting in the first round, his cap management was atrocious. However Marty 2.0 has shown improvements in many areas and drafts well beyond the 1st. If you show me a GM thats better then him thag we could get the by all means id love to have him. However even above average gms dont grow on trees.

How about some examples of the newfound knowledge. What’s he done that is so different? Threw away a cheap K then threw 9M more away on him. And he’s already toast. Kicked money down the road on KK and Trai for nothing. Who are these great picks beyond the first? 

An average GM? That’s hilarious. An average GM would get a phone call from somebody in the NFL. Or at least a network. Even Matt Millen. Is on TV. I’m sure Marty just loves his DJ job. If you want to know how Hurney is viewed around the league, that’s the only proof you need. 

Archived