• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2015 seems like ages ago..what happened?

Jmac

2 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Arguing over whether they deserve the term elite or not is pointless.  What the 2015 defense did was create and score off turnovers.  It was not unusual for the defense to actually steamroll an opponent early in the game, either putting up points while the offense stood on the sidelines or giving the offense very short fields to deal with.  Our defense has not done that since.

I have to agree with several others that said the offense got figured out and Shula did not adjust.  I'm not sure he knew how to adjust. 

NFL teams are one year entities.  Attrition through retirements, free agency, and injuries happen every year to every team.  You can look at New England's roster from year to year and while there are some obvious constants, there is also a healthy amount of turnover.  Accepting and planning for that keeps them among the top of the league year after year.  The Panthers history is reacting to it, which is what most teams do.  Reacting leaves you constantly chasing your tail trying to make up for last year's losses, when next year's attrition is in progress.

I really think some guys believe that once they come up with a great plan, nobody can stop it.

In reality of course, the league always adjusts.

This is what happens when you send checker players to a chess tournament.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I really think some guys believe that once they come up with a great plan, nobody can stop it.

In reality of course, the league always adjusts.

This is what happens when you send checker players to a chess tournament.

Funny you say that, I almost added the shot that Shula was playing checkers on a chess board. 

Back when the run and shoot was all the rage, some sports analyst asked Mouse Davis (the architect of it) what you do when the run and shoot wasn't working.  His answer was that well, you run and shoot.  Of course, he meant that if you adopt that offense, you really had no options.

I think if you would have asked Shula that same thing about his offense, you would have gotten a blank look translating to "what do you mean it isn't working?"

Because Richardson was fine with mediocrity.    He only cared about money and shaving office staff's legs.    We didn't need to win because of profit sharing and since half the stadium was the opposing fans, they were buying concessions anyway.

Then he hires another mediocre coach after Fox, in Rivera.    Who gets lucky and gets a once in a lifetime generatonal talent in Cam Newton.     We lose the OC we needed for the future (Chud) and then go straight to mediocrity in Shula (which continues later on in Norv).    Rivera is spoiled because Cam covers up tons of weaknesses on the team but eventually the hits add up.    We then lose McDermott, who is a better coach than Rivera and the defense falls apart.   

I mean, Cam had one of the best years for a QB in 2015 and look at his offensive weapons that year.   Look at that line.

Don't underlook the fact that we lost heart from this team.    Norman, was a big loss.   Not just the onfield work but the energy he brought this team.

Though we never had a chance to beat Denver and the NFL in the last game of Manning's career.   It just wasn't happening.   There are like 20 missed calls to prove that.     But we shouldn't have crumbled the next year as bad as did.    It's just, Ron had no business being in the Super Bowl, Cam just carried him and the team on his back.

Archived