• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How does the Rhule hire help us strategically?

rayzor

9 minutes ago, Growl said:

You're missing the point of the hire.

The intent wasn't to chase the McVayvian trend of hiring super offense Mastermind guy.

This was more of a John harbaugh hiring. Finding somebody with experience all over the field who lacks an almost partisan attachment to some kind of schematic methodology (thus liberating the team to quickly adapt), who has an affinity for building newer systems and techniques ala analytics while still maintaining a concern for traditional toughness and fundamentals. Throw in the communication skills and you describe John harbaugh to a tee.

Idk if it will work out but the intent is obvious.

Great post. Hope this turns out to be a home run.

8 hours ago, Castavar said:

Yeah, I'm going to miss 3 out of 9 winning seasons that consistently got trounced in the division.

And you are getting someone that has 3 out of 7 winning seasons as a head coach at the college level and college football is much much much easier than the NFL.  

I'm pulling for the guy because he's the Panther's coach now, but I hope everyone can appreciate the irony and the risk Tepper is taking here.  

8 hours ago, stan786 said:

Just out of curiosity who do you think had very little risk? Feels like all the candidates had some big question mark one way or the other. Maybe not Mccarthy but that would have gone over like a lead balloon here as well.

McCarthy was a no brainer and so was Eric Bieniemy.  Harbaugh is another no brainer.  I'm not a fan of going the college route because the success rate is very low.    

We now have the richest owner in the NFL and I would imagine that he could get any guy he wanted because money is not an object and we ended up with a guy that has 3 out of 7 winning seasons at mid tier college programs.  

The 3 out of 7 winning seasons is not valid since it was with 2 teams that were both garbage. If he'd stayed at Temple or Baylor for 7 years and had that record I'd be worried. But he turned around two terrible teams each within 2-3 years. Dang impressive.

Rhule was hired to be the CEO/HC and set the narrative for the overall direction of the offense and defense along with game planning and game day strategy.  IMO he will let the OC/DC run their rooms as they see best.  I see he and Marty providing the players that fit their schemes.  What I’m interested to see is how they will view 2nd chance players.  The previous ownership/management was not strong enough to allow the risk to the culture versus the potential gain.  Will we now take those risks like the Pats, Saints, Seahawks,etc. and get involved with the ABs, Gordons, and Odells(Ryan was his WR coach his rookie year) of the world?

Archived