• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tale of the Tape - Russell Okung

SetfreexX

Good read / clips on the newest Panther's LT-

https://theriotreport.com/russell-okung-film-breakdown-panthers/

Run Blocking

It is worth noting at this point that Okung did struggle with a lower body issue last season after he missed most of the first half of the season with a blood clot, and that even when he was on the field last season there is a chance that he wasn’t playing at peak health after missing a lot of workouts due to the larger issue that kept him off the roster to begin the season. However, with that said, his run blocking does raise some concerns. For a start, he didn’t play with great pad level, making it hard for him to generate any consistent movement (Okung is at left tackle, wearing #76):

Pass Protection

At the end of the day, pass protection for offensive tackles tends to be limited by foot speed, with technique allowing players to cover almost everything apart from just being run around. While nobody is perfect, Okung does show good foot speed with the ability to force edge rushers wide around the edge:

Honestly, I like this deal more and more every day.

If the guy turns out to be the next Matt Kalil, he costs us nothing after this year.  If he turns into the next Jordan Gross, we get first shot at putting him on a longer term deal.

Trai Turner wasn't getting better, in fact, it could be argued he was going the other direction.  For a relatively same number of dollars, we're trying to put a tackle on the field versus a guard.  I just don't see the down side.

1 hour ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Trai Turner was steeply declining.  I'm not really sure how he managed to back his way into the pro bowl the past two years.  

He's been an alternate is how, he hasn't actually ''made'' the pro-bowl lately. 

Awards like 1st / 2nd team All-Pro are a better indication of how good a player is across their peers. 

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

Honestly, I like this deal more and more every day.

If the guy turns out to be the next Matt Kalil, he costs us nothing after this year.  If he turns into the next Jordan Gross, we get first shot at putting him on a longer term deal.

Trai Turner wasn't getting better, in fact, it could be argued he was going the other direction.  For a relatively same number of dollars, we're trying to put a tackle on the field versus a guard.  I just don't see the down side.

That is where I'm at, this is a deal that we could do a few thing with, there is no guaranteed money, it's just the salary, if we wanted to save the 13M out right, we could. 

If we want to let it fall off after next season as we bridge to Little we can. 

If he shows he has a few good years left we can extend. 

We all know LT > RG, we will be able to replace OG, and now we have legitimate LT depth for the first time in a while. 

Archived