• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ego and how the team screwed up the Cam situation

AU-panther

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Are you all suggesting that we use $42 million in cap room for 2 QBs and letting them "duke it out?"

Wasting time discussing that one.

He's saying "no emotion" when it's pretty obvious everything he's trying to suggest here is driven by emotion. Specifically, not wanting to let go of Newton.

I get that people love Newton and don't want to lose him, but the reality is that ship has sailed.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's saying "no emotion" when it's pretty obvious everything he's trying to suggest here is driven by emotion. Specifically, not wanting to let go of Newton.

I get that people love Newton and don't want to lose him, but the reality is that ship has sailed.

Talk to me directly. Is about "winning". Sean Payton with Newton for 5-7 years should be a nightmare.

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

I think having both these guys at QB is our biggest asset at the moment. Pump up these assets trade or sign one.

Even you could aree to that Scot. We both know what would happen in a real competition. Don't we?

I understand blowing it up. Our defense has been shredded.

Just to give everyone an idea of how politics works in NFL, Teddy was actually in the Cam Newton spot in New York.  Jets sign Teddy 2 years after his leg fell off his body.  They don't know if he can literally play a football game anymore, so they take the risk he can play and be a serviceable backup and worse case scenario his leg breaks again and they drop him in the summer.  but Teddy was gravy no commitment or expectations.

so they draft Sam Darnold with #3.  training camp/preseason and Teddy looks awesome and durable and totally outplays Darnold to the surprise of everyone on the Jets payroll.  While to the sensible brain it makes sense to roll with Teddy for now and keep both and whoever shines over the long haul stays.  But what happens if Teddy is the 'bridge' and he kills it.  winning over the fans, teammates, and a winning record.  U can't pull him, not for years.  And when u use your #3 pick on Sam Darnold and he is the face of your franchise you can't have another QB doing well because it lessens demand for your handpicked franchise.  So rather than let a QB controversy develop you cut loose the interloper.  and that's how Teddy Bridgewater was traded to the Saints, and that's why Cam Newton is going to be an official ex-Panther within the month.  You must eliminate perceived competition for their chosen guy in Teddy Bridgewater.

2 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

No you trade one. Get something out of it.

Are we not trying to do that now?

If you wait for Cam to get healthy, if that day comes, you have to keep them both on the roster.   If we knew for a fact that the season was going to be cut short--started late, then maybe we could prolong the trade.  However, nothing about this suggests that the Panthers have not moved on from Cam.  The "commitment" instagram, after 3 of 4 years of bad seasons due to injury, in order to demand a contract extension, was the deal breaker, imo.  The Panthers were holding all the cards, not Cam.  I think he was advised to do it--bad advice.  If not, it backfired. 

Cam will never be the QB he was in 2015 and 2017.  He is getting older and has not changed in ways that would prolong his career.  he has the lifespan of a RB, not a pocket qb.  He is what he is--and I said during his rookie season, he will be lucky to last a decade playing like he does.

We shall see--you could be right---but I get the feeling that the Panthers know more about this than we do.

12 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Talk to me directly. Is about "winning". Sean Payton with Newton for 5-7 years should be a nightmare.

Nobody is offering Newton a five to seven year contract right now, definitely not the Saints.

Any offer he gets this year is likely to be a one year "prove it" deal with little to no guarantees.

10 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

You've seen what he can do. Imagine ten years of that because he's started to hate YOU.

I've seen what Newton used to be able to do. For the past two years, he hasn't even been able to finish a season healthy and nobody knows if he will again.

You're thinking like a fan. Coaches and NFL teams don't think like fans.

8 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Don't be stupid. No emotion.

Everything you're saying is pure emotion, and borderline delusion.

You can write a thousand more posts like this and it's still not going to change reality. Newton's future is somewhere else. Maybe it'll be successful, maybe it won't. Maybe the Panthers will be successful without him, maybe they won't. Nobody knows.

But the one thing most people, even the ones who hate it, are at least able to accept is that Newton and the Panthers are going their separate ways, and no amount of fantasy scenarios or tinfoil hat delusions is going to change that.

You're wasting your time.

Archived