• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ego and how the team screwed up the Cam situation

AU-panther

A few days ago I made a thread talking about how ego can cause GMs to do stupid things in the draft.  What you have with this current situation is another example of ego dictating direction of the franchise.

Almost everyone on this board knows we most likely aren't winning a Super Bowl next year.  I can't believe I'm saying this but in a lot of ways the fans are more of a realist then the front office.  Once the team got TB to sign they start thinking they can out coach the other teams, and then the GM starts to think he can out GM the other teams and next thing you know you get into this viscous cycle of 8-8.

Here is what should have happened:

First of all with Cam, I would have made it very well known that I wanted him to play out the last year of his contract.  I'll happily spend $19m for one year, to see if my former MVP QB can return to form.  Worst case he plays average and you let him walk next year and get a 3rd comp pick for him, which is looking to be more than we are going to get this year.  If he plays better than average tag him and trade him for even better picks.  If he plays great, then congratulations you have your franchise QB.

If Cam pitches a fit and decides he won't play on a one year deal then that is on him and he looks like the bad guy to a lot of the fan base.  Through all of this you discreetly listen to trade offers and/or let Cam's people look for trades.

In the meantime you get rid of any players on the roster you think aren't living up to their contract.  Turner and Poe apparently

You don't overpay to resign your own guys.  Bradberry

You go slow in free agency and play the comp pick game.  Which we have not done

Speaking of comp picks, I know some people like to discount them since they are 3rd or later, and yes the chance of them being impact players is low, but that isn't the correct way to look at them.  Maybe only 1 out of 4 work out, but that is still one player on your roster on a fixed 4 year deal, that frees up money to spend later.  

Also watch what some teams do, NE especially, they love to use those late round picks to trade for decent proven players on decent contracts.  Its a great way to fill out your roster.  Also you don't use screw up your comp pick ratio by trading players.  Think about this, if we wouldn't have signed Paradis and Hogan last year we would probably have an extra 5th this year.  Maybe we could use that 5th to trade for a veteran center on a decent deal.  

Coaches always think they can win now.  They think they are one player away and that they are smarter than all of the other coaches, that's understandable.  You don't reach the highest level of your profession without being confident.  Your GM on the other hand should be taking the long term view.  In reality your coach and GM shouldn't always agree.

Maybe TB fits our coaches scheme perfect and they turn out to be right.  Personally I think they should have took this year off, and reset the team and just tried to show everyone how smart they are the following year.

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

A few days ago I made a thread talking about how ego can cause GMs to do stupid things in the draft.  What you have with this current situation is another example of ego dictating direction of the franchise.

Almost everyone on this board knows we most likely aren't winning a Super Bowl next year.  I can't believe I'm saying this but in a lot of ways the fans are more of a realist then the front office.  Once the team got TB to sign they start thinking they can out coach the other teams, and then the GM starts to think he can out GM the other teams and next thing you know you get into this viscous cycle of 8-8.

Here is what should have happened:

First of all with Cam, I would have made it very well known that I wanted him to play out the last year of his contract.  I'll happily spend $19m for one year, to see if my former MVP QB can return to form.  Worst case he plays average and you let him walk next year and get a 3rd comp pick for him, which is looking to be more than we are going to get this year.  If he plays better than average tag him and trade him for even better picks.  If he plays great, then congratulations you have your franchise QB.

If Cam pitches a fit and decides he won't play on a one year deal then that is on him and he looks like the bad guy to a lot of the fan base.  Through all of this you discreetly listen to trade offers and/or let Cam's people look for trades.

In the meantime you get rid of any players on the roster you think aren't living up to their contract.  Turner and Poe apparently

You don't overpay to resign your own guys.  Bradberry

You go slow in free agency and play the comp pick game.  Which we have not done

Speaking of comp picks, I know some people like to discount them since they are 3rd or later, and yes the chance of them being impact players is low, but that isn't the correct way to look at them.  Maybe only 1 out of 4 work out, but that is still one player on your roster on a fixed 4 year deal, that frees up money to spend later.  

Also watch what some teams do, NE especially, they love to use those late round picks to trade for decent proven players on decent contracts.  Its a great way to fill out your roster.  Also you don't use screw up your comp pick ratio by trading players.  Think about this, if we wouldn't have signed Paradis and Hogan last year we would probably have an extra 5th this year.  Maybe we could use that 5th to trade for a veteran center on a decent deal.  

Coaches always think they can win now.  They think they are one player away and that they are smarter than all of the other coaches, that's understandable.  You don't reach the highest level of your profession without being confident.  Your GM on the other hand should be taking the long term view.  In reality your coach and GM shouldn't always agree.

Maybe TB fits our coaches scheme perfect and they turn out to be right.  Personally I think they should have took this year off, and reset the team and just tried to show everyone how smart they are the following year.

steve harvey wtf GIF

How did the front office screw up the Cam situation when he is hurt?  I am pretty sure he cannot pass a physical at this point.  He cannot be traded when he is hurt. Teddy is insurance to have an actual QB that can play in 2020 (if there is a season) that is already familiar with the offense. 

Get over it already. Cam is not that good if he cannot run. We already saw what he can do when he cannot throw more than 20 yards. I love Cam & wish him the best, but his best days are behind him. I hope he proves me wrong. 

I have been a fan of the Panthers since 1995.  I want the team to win, not any individual player.

5 minutes ago, gakonline said:

How did the front office screw up the Cam situation when he is hurt?  I am pretty sure he cannot pass a physical at this point.  He cannot be traded when he is hurt. Teddy is insurance to have an actual QB that can play in 2020 (if there is a season) that is already familiar with the offense. 

Get over it already. Cam is not that good if he cannot run. We already saw what he can do when he cannot throw more than 20 yards. I love Cam & wish him the best, but his best days are behind him. I hope he proves me wrong. 

I have been a fan of the Panthers since 1995.  I want the team to win, not any individual player.

These are the same people who are advocating to trade CMC. A dude who doesn’t take a snap off let alone get injured. 

Agreed, whether we were keeping cam or not we should have been decisive in either option. Then we go out and make moves that are both equally rebuilding moves and not, we sign teddy Bridgewater, who is equivalent to Kyle Allen in a lot of ways.

The half in half not, Hot/Cold direction is just all around blah, like pick a side of the fence. Looks like we’ll be competitive enough to insure we either win enough games to dick up drafting an all star qb, or enjoy mediocrity for the next 3 seasons. 

Archived