• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fixing LT

Untouchable

Current Starter: Russell Okung - He's good when he is on the field but that has been scarce this season and in recent seasons as well.

Depth: Greg Little, Trent Scott, Dennis Daley - We've seen them all, and the one who has the most invested in him is the one struggling the most.  None of them are very good in pass protection at this point.

Projected 2021 Starter: Dennis Daley - It's one of those 3 with Okung being a free agent.  Daley seems to have the upper hand currently but that merry-go-round could keep spinning.

Free Agent Options

Trent WIlliams - Medical issue sent him over to SF.  Still a very good OT so San Fran might not want to part with him.

Russell Okung - His price tag will be lower and he's good if he is on the field but that's a big upper case IF right now.

David Bakhtiari - Will GB part with him?  Rodgers certainly helps anyone on offense look better too.  He will probably cost the most out of all the LTs this offseason due to tape and relative youth.

Alejandro Villanueva - I cant see him getting out of Pittsburg.  He has been vastly underpaid since he entered the league.  Always solid

Cam Robinson - He's young, inconsistent and has injury history so its a risk.  He is young though has come good tape though and could come in alot cheaper then the others above him on the list.

Forrest Lamp - This is taking a risk as well.  He's been injured in LAC early in his career and playing at LG.  His length projected him inside coming out of college but he was an exceptional LT coming out.  Could be a cheap option to take a chance on (or just plug him at LG).

Trade Options

There isn't any of note right now.  If another team upgrades the position in the offseason then you could theoretically make a move but this isn't likely an option this season because if they are any good the team won't be looking to upgrade.

Draft (Top 50 Prospects, Draft Network)

Penei Sewell, Oregon - The only one I've really looked into.  Elite prospect.  If you need a LT and you can get him, go do it.  Might take the #3 pick though.

Dillion Radunz, North Dakota State - Small school prospect who seems to be competent but not exceptional at everything.  Competitiveness and toughness are praised.

Samuel Cosmi, Texas - Raw athleticism, inconsistent technique.  Not a people mover but consistent in run blocking none the less.

Alex Leatherwood, Alabama - Solid all around prospect who is knocked for being too aggressive at times.  Needs to iron out his hand positioning too.

Daniel Faalele, Minnesota - Former rugby player who got into the game late so obviously raw.  Absolutely massive frame with surprising athleticism for his size.

Jackson Carman, Clemson - Big, long, mean.  His bio reads like that of a RT but he plays on the left and probably should be a given a chance to try his luck there first.

Rashawn Slater, Northwestern - Seems like an ideal guard prospect from his bio but says he has the mobility to be tried on the edge.  Scrappy/physical player.

Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech - Long and athletic but needs some work on his footwork

Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC - Missed him since he's listed on the interior for playing LG last season. Moved out and playing well at LT this year.

Here's a little more about the some of the above and others....

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-offensive-tackles-draft-class-best-in-years/

So how do you fix this position going forward?  Find a vet where you know what you're getting?  Ride the waves of a rookie? Stick with what you have?  This has been a nightmare for far too long.  Chime in with another free agents, trade options or draft prospects worth taking a look into.

I was just coming here to start a LT thread.  Found a great and encouraging article.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-offensive-tackles-draft-class-best-in-years/

High-upside prospects

Jackson Carman, Clemson

Jackson Carman is someone who I expect to get a lot more love the deeper people start to dive into 2021 offensive tackle film. Too many people are sticking to the consensus picks of Liam Eichenberg, Alex Leatherwood, and Walker Little as the de facto OT2, because they have yet to venture out and realize that there are other very good players at the tackle position. My personal favorite is Carman from Clemson. When watching his tape, the first word that comes to my mind is nasty. He’s a mauler through and through. He finds joy in taking another man’s spirit and driving it into the ground. To pair with this nasty mentality, he’s also a massive human being at 6’5″, 345, and possesses elite play strength.

Carman is also an excellent athlete for his size, and from a height-weight standpoint, he rivals or potentially surpasses Sewell. However, Carman lacks the technical refinement and experience to rival Sewell at the top of the class. Regardless, Carman has a massive ceiling, and I expect all eyes to be on him as a result of blocking for the best quarterback prospect in years: Trevor Lawrence.

I'm sure there are some Clemson fans here that can chime in on Carman.

to answer OPs question, I'm drafting one in the first or second.  Little can't beat out a 6th round pick from the same draft.  I read somewhere he is not a good candidate to be moved inside, no idea why, but I'd let him backup Moton and see if can improve before the end of his contract.

I'm 100% for signing Taylor.  If Okung wants to come back for 1 more year at a reasonable rate, I'm for it, so he can help bring our rookie up to speed.

2 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

to answer OPs question, I'm drafting one in the first or second.  Little can't beat out a 6th round pick from the same draft.  I read somewhere he is not a good candidate to be moved inside, no idea why, but I'd let him backup Moton and see if can improve before the end of his contract.

I'm 100% for signing Taylor.  If Okung wants to come back for 1 more year at a reasonable rate, I'm for it, so he can help bring our rookie up to speed.

It's not Little's lack of athleticism or movement skills that has him struggling on the outside. My guess is his technique and balance issues are some of the issues with moving him inside.  Another being the only position that he has ever played is LT. I think he gets beat out even easier by Daley on the interior.

Im leaning with you in that it almost feels like Okung has to come back for financial and lack of proven depth reasons.

2 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

I was just coming here to start a LT thread.  Found a great and encouraging article.

Yeah that is a really good article, I'll add it to OP. Brings up some more prospects falling through the cracks currently on draft sites.

Jackson Carman seems to have the tape (including vs Chase Young last year) and upside of someone who should be rated much higher than he currently is (like maybe in play with our 1st). The article suggests be probably should be OT2 so he's worth looking into closer.

On 11/12/2020 at 4:14 PM, Untouchable said:

Current Starter: Russell Okung - He's good when he is on the field but that has been scarce this season and in recent seasons as well.

Depth: Greg Little, Trent Scott, Dennis Daley - We've seen them all, and the one who has the most invested in him is the one struggling the most.  None of them are very good in pass protection at this point.

Projected 2021 Starter: Dennis Daley - It's one of those 3 with Okung being a free agent.  Daley seems to have the upper hand currently but that merry-go-round could keep spinning.

Free Agent Options

Trent WIlliams - Medical issue sent him over to SF.  Still a very good OT so San Fran might not want to part with him.

Russell Okung - His price tag will be lower and he's good if he is on the field but that's a big upper case IF right now.

David Bakhtiari - Will GB part with him?  Rodgers certainly helps anyone on offense look better too.  He will probably cost the most out of all the LTs this offseason due to tape and relative youth.

Alejandro Villanueva - I cant see him getting out of Pittsburg.  He has been vastly underpaid since he entered the league.  Always solid

Cam Robinson - He's young, inconsistent and has injury history so its a risk.  He is young though has come good tape though and could come in alot cheaper then the others above him on the list.

Forrest Lamp - This is taking a risk as well.  He's been injured in LAC early in his career and playing at LG.  His length projected him inside coming out of college but he was an exceptional LT coming out.  Could be a cheap option to take a chance on (or just plug him at LG).

Trade Options

There isn't any of note right now.  If another team upgrades the position in the offseason then you could theoretically make a move but this isn't likely an option this season because if they are any good the team won't be looking to upgrade.

Draft (Top 50 Prospects, Draft Network)

Penei Sewell, Oregon - The only one I've really looked into.  Elite prospect.  If you need a LT and you can get him, go do it.  Might take the #3 pick though.

Dillion Radunz, North Dakota State - Small school prospect who seems to be competent but not exceptional at everything.  Competitiveness and toughness are praised.

Samuel Cosmi, Texas - Raw athleticism, inconsistent technique.  Not a people mover but consistent in run blocking none the less.

Alex Leatherwood, Alabama - Solid all around prospect who is knocked for being too aggressive at times.  Needs to iron out his hand positioning too.

Daniel Faalele, Minnesota - Former rugby player who got into the game late so obviously raw.  Absolutely massive frame with surprising athleticism for his size.

Jackson Carman, Clemson - Big, long, mean.  His bio reads like that of a RT but he plays on the left and probably should be a given a chance to try his luck there first.

Rashawn Slater, Northwestern - Seems like an ideal guard prospect from his bio but says he has the mobility to be tried on the edge.  Scrappy/physical player.

Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech - Long and athletic but needs some work on his footwork

Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC - Missed him since he's listed on the interior for playing LG last season. Moved out and playing well at LT this year.

Here's a little more about the some of the above and others....

So how do you fix this position going forward?  Find a vet where you know what you're getting?  Ride the waves of a rookie? Stick with what you have?  This has been a nightmare for far too long.  Chime in with another free agents, trade options or draft prospects worth taking a look into.

Key word athletic.  I know all members of the NFL are athletic at one point or another.  

That word is key for Rhule.  He wants athletic players so it won't surprise me if we end up with one of these players.

On 11/20/2020 at 4:00 PM, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Key word athletic.  I know all members of the NFL are athletic at one point or another.  

That word is key for Rhule.  He wants athletic players so it won't surprise me if we end up with one of these players.

That's a good point. Brown didn't test well in the pre draft process but speed was a huge priority in the last draft. YGM and Chinn (even more so) in particular put up some ridiculous all around athletic scores.

EDIT: Darrisaw is now squarely in the conversation for the Panthers first round pick too after completely shutting down all of the ACC's best pass rushers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 8:58 PM, Captain Morgan said:

High-upside prospects

Jackson Carman, Clemson

Jackson Carman is someone who I expect to get a lot more love the deeper people start to dive into 2021 offensive tackle film. Too many people are sticking to the consensus picks of Liam Eichenberg, Alex Leatherwood, and Walker Little as the de facto OT2, because they have yet to venture out and realize that there are other very good players at the tackle position. My personal favorite is Carman from Clemson. When watching his tape, the first word that comes to my mind is nasty. He’s a mauler through and through. He finds joy in taking another man’s spirit and driving it into the ground. To pair with this nasty mentality, he’s also a massive human being at 6’5″, 345, and possesses elite play strength.

Carman is also an excellent athlete for his size, and from a height-weight standpoint, he rivals or potentially surpasses Sewell. However, Carman lacks the technical refinement and experience to rival Sewell at the top of the class. Regardless, Carman has a massive ceiling, and I expect all eyes to be on him as a result of blocking for the best quarterback prospect in years: Trevor Lawrence.

I'm sure there are some Clemson fans here that can chime in on Carman.

Nasty, Mauler, Massive and most importantly Athletic.

Sounds like a perfect Rhule player.  

Archived