• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney Scks ...Got it.. How do we fix it

DaveThePanther2008

I sit here and read this forum everyday. We sit here and argue how we are going to retain Moton and Samuel.  Two very key players on our team.  Yet  I Iook at teams like the Rams, Saints, Pittsburgh and others.  They have tons of great players and seem to always retain them.

I am not a cap guy.  I love the opinions on this forum and I want to know how do we get to that level of other franchises without gutting the whole team and starting over with a bunch of scrubs.

We've started well with Burns, Brown, Chinn, CMC, Moore and YGM plus some other hopefuls.

How do we keep them all and make this a franchise that continually competes for the playoffs. 

First, I believe we have to get rid of Hurney.  It's nothing personal but the guy continually drafts poorly.  Makes terrible decision on retaining players.  Letting the good ones walk and overpaying players on the downside of their careers. 

So we fire Hurney.  Who's the best options and how do we become a great franchise?

2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I want to know how do we get to be a great franchise.  How do other teams do it year in and year out and we struggle to retain one or two good players each year. 

Look at the Steelers.

Consistent drafting is the bedrock of what they do. And that's because a long time ago they made the effort to build the best scouting organization they could.

1 minute ago, Malt Liquor said:

What about Omar Khan?

Khan is better known for being a cap guy than a personnel guy . He's had interviews for GM positions before, but nobody's chosen him.

Another guy who's popular in their organization is Pro Personnel Chief Brandon Hunt. The hard part about getting him is that a lot of people believe he'll get the Steelers job whenever Colbert retires.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Look at the Steelers.

Consistent drafting is the bedrock of what they do. And that's because a long time ago they made the effort to build the best scouting organization they could.

So do we begin with the CMC class?  We've already extended CMC.  

One year contracts like Gettleman did to get us out of cap hell?  I think we have a good core I just want to keep everyone good that we've drafted recently. 

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

So do we begin with the CMC class?  We've already extended CMC.  

One year contracts like Gettleman did to get us out of cap hell?  I think we have a good core I just want to keep everyone good that we've drafted recently. 

I don't know that there's one single method other than drafting well so that you don't have to overpay for free agents (including your own).

As far as contracts, you still need the best possible talent evaluation to know who to keep and how much to pay them. Length of contract a tough thing, because even if you know somebody is good right now it's nearly impossible to predict how long they're going to stay good.

Honestly, I think the bottom line is just to have the right guy in charge. Twenty years ago the Steelers got the right guy in Kevin Colbert. Before the Steelers got him, the Lions had him for about ten years but apparently didn't know how good he could be.

Even though I seriously doubt we could get him as a GM, I'd absolutely love to have him take a consultant job and oversee building the organization.

From all I have read, Hurney isn't the long term solution and isn't intended to be. He is already in his mid sixties and likely looking at when he will move on and what he wants to do. I suspect Tepper will find a spot for him and efforts will be on developing a good team to carry us forward.  But if Rhule is running the show then do we really need to replace Hurney right away? It seems they did a pretty good job this year in the draft and even picked up some great free agents working together.

Archived