• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CFP Semifinals part deux: 3 Ohio State vs 2 Clemson 800 PM EST

12 hours ago, Varking said:

The Big10 has the best defenses in the country. He still plays against far superior passing defenses. Northwestern is a great defense. Their coach is amazing. Indiana is a top defense. Their coach is amazing. Indiana leads the country in interceptions despite playing 7 games. I believe they got at least two interceptions in every game. 

Wilson has had time to throw on the overwhelming majority of his snaps all year outside of two quarters in the Coastal Carolina game. 

The talent gap is biggest between Clemson and the next best ACC team ( assuming Miami or Carolina  ). Clemson has easily had some of the best recruiting classes the past few years. OSU had the 14th best class two years ago. They got a gift in Fields leaving UGA. 

As far as level of competition it absolutely matters that Wilson has been given more time to throw than just about any other Qb in the country. It matters that they’ve been able to run the ball easily all year in BYU. People need to stop disrespecting the talent that BYU does have compared to the teams they played. Their receivers showed out all year. Their running back showed out all year. Against their competition level they were top tier. 

“He was throwing to Mormons!” Sure, but those Mormons were consistently wide open and breaking tackles and making contested catches. It’s not a Josh Allen scenario where he was hitting receivers and they were just dropping everything. They were better than the secondaries they faced. That’s what I mean by against their competition level. 

Clemson was favored. The overwhelming majority of people in the know and casual fans thought Clemson was going to make a statement against OSU. It’s not a game where you watch Alabama play Florida and realize the difference in the game is Harris. Justin Fields, out of all the stars playing last night in any game, absolutely dominated more than anyone. And he did it hurt. 

He was the best QB on the field and the best QB in the country last night. People like to bash OSU for struggling with two opponents but forget they’ve also practiced less than just about any team in the entire country due to the conferenced covid rules. Consistency is key and when you are having to constantly bubble up and not practice with your normal guys it will show. OSU was still missing four starters last night. Although I’d have to wager Teague lost his job to Sermon for the rest of the way. Fields put the team on his back against the best competition in the country. Wilson didn’t show he could do that. Lance hasn’t shown he can do that. 

Fields is a better quarterback than both of them and a better player than both of them. 

Big 10 have the worst offenses so their defense stats are inflated. OSU is literally the only big 10 team with a top 50 offense, they are the only conference that still play a heavy run style. Indiana that just got lit up by Matt Corrall without his top 3 weapons? That Indiana. The same Indiana that got annihilated by the worst Penn State team in 40 years.

And teams like FSU, Miami and UNC have way way way more talent than any team in the big 10, Miami alone has more 4 star recruits than half the big 10. OSU is by far more lopsided than Clemson.

Level of completion matters, yeah it matters when the playing field is not leveled. Which in Field case it’s never leveled unless he’s playing Clemson or Alabama. Theirs a reason every Ohio state QB over the last 15 years has put up monster numbers, a point you completed avoided. Meanwhile the last BYU QB who put anything remotely close to Wilson numbers was John Beck back in 09. 

And where are you getting these pass protection stats? And these stud receivers and great backs??? Don’t tell me this all off of pff. If it is Wilson has graded higher than Field in almost every week, so take that with a grain of salt. BYU has all these stud players why weren’t the previous QB more productive?

Either way I don’t put much stalk in pff grades, or who plays for who or what conference he plays for, I look at the actual game with my own two eyes. Wilson this year has made more big time throws into tight windows than any QB I’ve seen, he’s carrying a very average roster and made them into a top 3 offense. He’s the closest prospect I’ve seen that resembles Aaron Rodgers.

Ive always find it hard to evaluate OSU QBs since the play in the most QB friendly offense in the country, I think Fields completed 4 tight window throws in yesterday’s game everything else was wide open. That’s not saying he’s bad but just harder to evaluate. 

1 minute ago, GoobyPls said:

Big 10 have the worst offenses so their defense stats are inflated. OSU is literally the only big 10 team with a top 50 offense, they are the only conference that still play a heavy run style. Indiana that just got lit up by Matt Corrall without his top 3 weapons? That Indiana. The same Indiana that got annihilated by the worst Penn State team in 40 years.

And teams like FSU, Miami and UNC have way way way more talent than any team in the big 10, Miami alone has more 4 star recruits than half the big 10. OSU is by far more lopsided than Clemson.

Level of completion matters, yeah it matters when the playing field is not leveled. Which in Field case it’s never leveled unless he’s playing Clemson or Alabama. Theirs a reason every Ohio state QB over the last 15 years has put up monster numbers, a point you completed avoided. Meanwhile the last BYU QB who put anything remotely close to Wilson numbers was John Beck back in 09. 

And where are you getting these pass protection stats? And these stud receivers and great backs??? Don’t tell me this all off of pff. If it is Wilson has graded higher than Field in almost every week, so take that with a grain of salt. BYU has all these stud players why weren’t the previous QB more productive?

Either way I don’t put much stalk in pff grades, or who plays for who or what conference he plays for, I look at the actual game with my own two eyes. Wilson this year has made more big time throws into tight windows than any QB I’ve seen, he’s carrying a very average roster and made them into a top 3 offense. He’s the closest prospect I’ve seen that resembles Aaron Rodgers.

Ive always find it hard to evaluate OSU QBs since the play in the most QB friendly offense in the country, I think Fields completed 4 tight window throws in yesterday’s game everything else was wide open. That’s not saying he’s bad but just harder to evaluate. 

Trask literally made more big time throws than any QB in the country. Unfortunately his arm and legs aren’t going to play up at the next level. No QB, against top tier competition, played as well as Justin Fields did last night. 

12 minutes ago, Varking said:

Trask literally made more big time throws than any QB in the country. Unfortunately his arm and legs aren’t going to play up at the next level. No QB, against top tier competition, played as well as Justin Fields did last night. 

Fields played against arguably Clemson's weakest defense in 4-5 years. 

If he does it against Saban and Bama I'll be on board.  I will say that even Bama's defense is probably one of the weakest they've had in 3-4 years as well.

8 minutes ago, Varking said:

That’s why you have to watch the game instead regurgitating numbers. Wilson big time throws are 50 yards lasers down the field throwing his receivers open, Trask big time throws are 30 yard  50/50 balls to future nfl receivers.

Weren’t you just saying Northwestern was big time competition? I guess not. Either way Field played the game of his life yesterday so good for him

6 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

That’s why you have to watch the game instead regurgitating numbers. Wilson big time throws are 50 yards lasers down the field throwing his receivers open, Trask big time throws are 30 yard  50/50 balls to future nfl receivers.

Weren’t you just saying Northwestern was big time competition? I guess not. Either way Field played the game of his life yesterday so good for him

Who was regurgitating numbers? Please show your work when you make accusations like that. Show me Wilson throwing his receivers open 50 yards downfield via said lasers multiple times. 

8 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

Fields played against arguably Clemson's weakest defense in 4-5 years. 

If he does it against Saban and Bama I'll be on board.  I will say that even Bama's defense is probably one of the weakest they've had in 3-4 years as well.

What great defense has Lance faced? What great defense has Wilson faced? Fields and OSU were major underdogs going into this game and nobody lit Clemson up for 6 TDs in the air. And he was throwing legit lasers to multiple players. He threw a tight end open in the back of the end zone on a dive. Wilson did not have a performance on this level this year. Lance did not. I’d argue Lawrence hadn’t either. 

10 minutes ago, Varking said:

What great defense has Lance faced? What great defense has Wilson faced? Fields and OSU were major underdogs going into this game and nobody lit Clemson up for 6 TDs in the air. And he was throwing legit lasers to multiple players. He threw a tight end open in the back of the end zone on a dive. Wilson did not have a performance on this level this year. Lance did not. I’d argue Lawrence hadn’t either. 

Dude, I am not arguing for any QB over Fields.  I think you are taking other's posts and combining the thought process.

My point was that Fields (or any other highly rated QB) hasn't played a dominant defense this year.  You can't tell me you think the Clemson defense or even Alabama's defense matches some of the defenses we have seen in past years.  I'll even point to the Alabama vs. Florida game as evidence that Alabama's defense isn't what it has been in years past.

Fields had a great game vs. Clemson, I don't argue that.  I do want to see how he fares against Alabama's defense and see what Saban can dial up against him.

Is that fair?

Just now, Rocky Davis said:

Dude, I am not arguing for any QB over Fields.  I think you are taking other's posts and combining the thought process.

My point was that Fields (or any other highly rated QB) has played a dominant defense this year.  You can't tell me you think the Clemson defense or even Alabama's defense matches some of the defenses we have seen in past years.  I'll even point to the Alabama vs. Florida game as evidence that Alabama's defense isn't what it has been in years past.

Fields had a great game vs. Clemson, I don't argue that.  I do want to see how he fares against Alabama's defense and see what Saban can dial up against him.

Is that fair?

Of coarse that’s fair. 

9 minutes ago, Varking said:

Who was regurgitating numbers? Please show your work when you make accusations like that. Show me Wilson throwing his receivers open 50 yards downfield via said lasers multiple times. 

I’ve showed you evidence, now answer me the question you keep avoiding. Why is it that the no other recent BYU QB has put up similar numbers to Wilson, meanwhile every other OSU QB has put up great stats?

32 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

The only losses Indiana had was to OSU by 7 points and today to Ole Miss with their backup QB playing most of the game with a separated shoulder. They beat Penn State in OT to open their season. Not sure why you think they got annihilated by them. 

Just now, GoobyPls said:

I’ve showed you evidence, now answer me the question you keep avoiding. Why is it that the no other recent BYU QB has put up similar numbers to Wilson, meanwhile every other OSU QB has put up great stats?

1. This is not a good throw. This gets knocked down in the NFL.

2. This is not throwing anybody open. If he put the ball out in front there’s no chance of him getting this knocked down by a DB. I’d argue this is the worst placement you can have on this throw. 
3. This ball went from the 45 to the 5. 10 yards shy of your 50 yard laser. 

4. You’ve never asked me that question for me to “duck”. I think you have me confused with somebody else. 
5. BYU gave Wilson all day to throw all year. In the only game he was pressured he didn’t perform well outside of two drives. When the rest of the games you play, your line looks like the best line in college football it’s easy to produce great stats. OSU has a great system and great athletes. That’s why most OSU QBs produce good numbers. It’s why Oregon QBs put up great numbers and then sucked in the pros but Herbert is going to be fine. 

6 minutes ago, Varking said:

2. This is not throwing anybody open. If he put the ball out in front there’s no chance of him getting this knocked down by a DB. I’d argue this is the worst placement you can have on this throw. 
3. This ball went from the 45 to the 5. 10 yards shy of your 50 yard laser. 

4. You’ve never asked me that question for me to “duck”. I think you have me confused with somebody else. 
5. BYU gave Wilson all day to throw all year. In the only game he was pressured he didn’t perform well outside of two drives. When the rest of the games you play, your line looks like the best line in college football it’s easy to produce great stats. OSU has a great system and great athletes. That’s why most OSU QBs produce good numbers. It’s why Oregon QBs put up great numbers and then sucked in the pros but Herbert is going to be fine. 

Lol not a good throw, most QBs in the nfl can’t make that throw. The receiver had and inch of separation and Wilson threw it in that inch. Again best line according to who? Wilson is constantly making throws on the run to make his line look better.

So your admitting Fields plays in a super QB friendly offense 

9 minutes ago, Varking said:

I agree with these....a pro corner either runs under that throw and gets an INT or knocks it away from the receiver.

He didn't lead his receiver anywhere on this play.....he was lucky that this throw was completed.

Fields did have a few throws where he hit his receivers in stride last night instead of under or over throwing them. 

Just now, GoobyPls said:

Lol not a good throw, most QBs in the nfl can’t make that throw. The receiver had and inch of separation and Wilson threw it in that inch. Again best line according to who? Wilson is constantly making throws on the run to make his line look better.

So your admitting Fields plays in a super QB friendly offense 

Fields does play in a QB friendly offense. The only person who ever claimed it was hard for QBs was Tate Martell and he’s... well... I’m sure you know. I’ve never denied or argued against that. 

Take a step back and look at your video again with critical eyes on. That throw hit the receiver in the hip. The DB if he was looking could have and should have knocked that down. The throw should have been over his head. Not on his hip. That gets picked off against a good defense. A throw over his head can’t get picked off. It’s not that most QBs can’t make that throw. All he did was crow hop and throw a ball 40 yards. Pro quarterbacks throw that over the guys head, not back on his hip. It worked out here because the competition sucks but in the pros that’s not a completion. 

And I was just using your criteria of throwing a guy open 50 yards down the field via a laser. That video is not that. 

Archived