• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Matt Rhule: “Very urgent” to have QB who makes plays in crucial situations

WarPanthers89

2 minutes ago, Clicheking said:

Not sure I'm a fan of some of the comments Matt has made about Teddy publicly. I want him gone as much as the next guy, but I would prefer the comments stay in house. Sets a bad precedent.

I don't think he's really saying those things about Teddy. Just sounds like the usual coach speak to me, and that's the same as how I feel about what Teddy said during the year that was so heavily criticized. People hear what they want.

It's like him talking about QBs at the Senior Bowl, he basically rattles off every ideal trait you want in a QB, which is pure coach speak. Yet everyone is convinced now that he was talking about Fields, Wilson, Lance and (insert your favorite QB here).

Rhule (and Teddy) aren't going to ruin their locker-room by acting how people think they're acting because of what they read about from an interview.

20 hours ago, Madwolf said:

I don't think he's really saying those things about Teddy. Just sounds like the usual coach speak to me, and that's the same as how I feel about what Teddy said during the year that was so heavily criticized. People hear what they want.

It's like him talking about QBs at the Senior Bowl, he basically rattles off every ideal trait you want in a QB, which is pure coach speak. Yet everyone is convinced now that he was talking about Fields, Wilson, Lance and (insert your favorite QB here).

Rhule (and Teddy) aren't going to ruin their locker-room by acting how people think they're acting because of what they read about from an interview.

Maybe he wouldn't be so blunt if teddy didn't have such a bad attitude, and throw other players and coaches under the bus, plus he doesnt take any responsibility for his on field performance. 

21 minutes ago, 54th man said:

Maybe he wouldn't be so blunt if teddy didn't have such a bad attitude, and throw other players and coaches under the bus, plus he doesnt take any responsibility for his on field performance. 

You can literally go look at his transcripts and that's not what he has been or said all season.

From his last game:

RE: What the coaches shared with him about taking him out of the game

Before the half we ran a quarterback draw and I got up limping. We score the next play and they asked me how I was feeling and everything, and I really just tried to fight through it – I wanted to try to fight through it – but the coaches noticed. Before I threw that second interception, we took a shot to DJ [Moore] and I wasn't able to get everything on the ball, and I think they noticed something right there. It was really a decision they made to protect me. With the way the Saints were pressuring different things, I probably wasn't as mobile as I wanted to be. I couldn't get the velocity that I wanted on the ball. That's pretty much how the conversation went.

Puts it on himself, and says the coaches made the right choice.

RE: Whether his challenges with generating velocity contributed to the second interception

I think those guys made a good play of just passing it off. It was a coverage that we expected. The corner jumped the outside route, the nickel just fell into where I was throwing the ball – he did a good job of passing it off easily. He'd run with (the) number two (receiver) – we had two under routes, the nickel usually runs with the number two – so it was a big alert to Ian [Thomas] on the corner route and the nickel did a great job of having a feel for it. He made a play

Coverage was what he expected, and what the coaches expected. Ian Thomas did a good job. The Nickleback made a play. This is after he says above that he didn't get enough velocity on the ball

RE: The reason for the change in his production during the latter portion of the season

As the season goes on, you fight through injuries and things like that and everyone's fighting through something. I'll watch this season and try to find out what may have happened during those six games or however many you said. Obviously, we have to be better. I have to be better, so I'll use this offseason to study myself, self-evaluate. We'll do some self-evaluating of this entire offense and, of course, we'll have conversations throughout the offseason and try to figure out and come up with a plan moving into this offseason.

Doesn't blame anyone. Doesn't blame the injuries. Says he has to be better.

RE: Whether he produced enough to return as the starter in 2021

In this business, everything is production-based. And of course, I have to be better, my production has to be better. I think, for the most part, we did a good job of keeping ourselves in the games. I was on a playoff team where I threw 14 touchdowns. It's all about executing the game plan and things like that. Of course, you want to be better in the red zone and that's an area that we have to be better at as a team. And of course, myself, I want to be better down there. So, 15 touchdowns – I had five rushing touchdowns as well – but I get paid to throw the football and obviously, I can do more. I need to do more.

Whose to blame according to Teddy? Teddy is to blame. No one else. Teddy has to do more.

RE: Whether the decision to come out of the game was his or the coaches

I think it was more their decision, along with how I felt. You watch after that quarterback draw and (I) look to the sideline, I think they were getting P.J [Walker] ready then and it was like, let me get to the sideline after the touchdown and see how I feel. Me being a fighter, I tried to stay out there and compete, but the coaches saw that on the pass to DJ [Moore] I wasn't able to generate the power and velocity that I wanted to. So, they made a decision.

Coaches pulled him, despite him wanting to stay in because he's "a fighter" but was it their fault? No because he couldn't make the pass to DJ Moore.

RE: The strides made by the offense this season

It's so easy to point out all the bad things and, of course, the bad outweighs the good sometimes – especially when you don't have the type of season that you want to have. But when you look at this offense and see guys having career years – of course, those are the individual goals. As a unit, you want to be better situationally, but the good: like I said you've got guys like Curtis Samuel, who had a career year and DJ Moore; Robbie [Anderson] had his first 1,000-yard season; Mike Davis gaining 1,000 yards from scrimmage for the first time in his career. Little things like that get taken for granted. Also, the guys up front. This game is extremely tough. Guys work extremely hard throughout the week and sometimes the results on Sunday do not reflect how hard a guy may have worked throughout the week. I applaud that locker room that's right behind me because these guys didn't quit. Everyone fought all year through the ups and downs with our backs against the wall. We've been in so many games where we could have easily thrown the rag in and said forget it. But guys came to work every day and they continued to make the game fun and that's the type of culture you want to create around here. The winning will follow. For this year with it being a young team, I think the seeds of success were planted this year with the experience the guys were able to gain. It was valuable experience so I'm excited for this organization moving forward.

He literally goes through every single guy we like and talks about them having career years and praises them. How he's happy for them, and other guys. He's excited for the future of the organization, and how no one quit.

22 hours ago, Madwolf said:

FWIW it's not just these comments, he's been criticizing him public pretty much the whole second half of the season. Just think it looks bad in terms of player trust

20 minutes ago, Clicheking said:

FWIW it's not just these comments, he's been criticizing him public pretty much the whole second half of the season. Just think it looks bad in terms of player trust

There is a difference between being hard on a guy to get him to be better and just straight up attacking him. Rhule's a smart guy, and tends to get the best out of people. I think Rhule is sending a message, but also providing motivation more than tearing into Teddy.

I don't believe Rhule would create a problem in his own locker room by alienating a player, especially one who has traditionally been liked by his team mates every where he's been.