• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A case for Tyler Thigpen

Ricky Spanish

Picking Tyler Thigpen who started 14 games in 2008 and sucked is not the same as a Patriots head coach who drafts Cassel in the seventh round and started him because Brady was injured. That was necessity. But seriously you think that was the biggest risk or gamble in the history of the NFL> Seriously??? And Warner had a good history in NFL Europe before he got here winning a title there as well.

Sure you don't need a first rounder to find a starter but what does any of what you said relate to Thigpen being a potential starter versus career third stringer on a decent team. He couldn't even unseat a rookie this year.

did you look at his stats? he's far from horrible sir, in fact, he's very much comparable to a two time super bowl champion named Big Ben. not only did he have more TDs than ben, but he did it in 11 games. all the panthers need is a QB that isn't hopeless, and makes plays, and they can win. Thigpen has shown he can do that. if worst comes to worst, we give up a 4th rounder for him. oops, at least we now have a SOLID backup instead of worthless QBs behind an even more worthless QB.

Let's see...

Can't read defenses

Terrible arm strength

Completely sucks in anything other than a spread-type offense

Oh yes, let's trade picks from the deepest QB draft class this century to get him.

you just described half the QBs in the draft this year... (Colt McCoy anyone?)

either way, his arm is not as bad as you think it is, and he's young raw talent, i think there is something there, and the fact that he was able to do what he did his first year (basically) in the league, i'd be more than happy to give him a shot.

I don't seem to see any mention of Jake in my post. He sucks, Thigpen sucks, how about we get someone good instead?

Well Jake and ANYBODY else are our only two choices. Those are the cards we have been dealt. An argument against ANYONE else giving it a shot is an argument for Jake since he is totally incapable of helping our team win.

Hmm... so you want to pass on drafting a QB in one of the best drafts for QBs in decades and rework the entire offense scheme and personnel around a 3rd string talent. Oh please tell us more wise and renown GM Cracka McNasty.

i said nothing about reworking the offensive scheme nor the personnel around one player, those are all assumptions you have made on your own. it's much easier and cost efficient to work with the one player and groom him into a complete player, which is what any coach would do with any young talent.

you seem to just like arguing...

either way, it's just another one of those crazy crackpot fan suggestions that we all seem to have. If i had it my way, i'd have the panthers trad eup to the first round and draft a beast of a QB like claussen. I have no problems with drafting one, but knowing the panthers and their past performances in evaluating draftable QB talent, I'd just assume trade for thigpen.

With a front office who wants to sell the team, a GM who is only there cause he is a man of his word? Plus you are really a hokus pokus team, not a real team, cause your team doesn't have enough good position players to line up and win games without gimmicks. Go ahead and think you are better than West Virginia, never mind, y'all drafted their Qb to run that stuff! Just quit the NFL, and join the MAC, or WAC, then you'll go a little farther after december!

do you just listen to chris berman and rehash all that bullshit? i love when people call it a gimmick. you know the panthers did that "gimmick" before the dolphins right? idiot.

oh and if its such a "college offense"....why is it working in the nfl? you got game tape....you can prepare for it....you got nfl defenders.....its obviously more than that. its a man on man....whoever is tougher....is successful.

wtf are you talking about a FO that wants to sell the team? and our GM is only here cause of his word? jeff ireland (our gm)? what are you blabbing about? you sound like a fool. iam playing dumb....i know your talking about parcells (the vp of football operations by the way, not the GM) he signed a contract, hes paid good money, and he has instilled a perfect set up for our team. our head coach is a damn good one. our GM is a damn good one....heard of miles austin for the cowboys? ya our current GM is the one who scouted and signed him to the cowboys. so please....google "dolphins front office" or try not sounding like a moron next time you respond.

thanks.

p.s.- the dolphins....that "fake" team......beat the bills 38-10.....you know the team the "real" panthers lost to by 2 scores with their backup quarterback. fake. lol.

do you just listen to chris berman and rehash all that bullshit? i love when people call it a gimmick. you know the panthers did that "gimmick" before the dolphins right? idiot.

oh and if its such a "college offense"....why is it working in the nfl? you got game tape....you can prepare for it....you got nfl defenders.....its obviously more than that. its a man on man....whoever is tougher....is successful.

wtf are you talking about a FO that wants to sell the team? and our GM is only here cause of his word? jeff ireland (our gm)? what are you blabbing about? you sound like a fool. iam playing dumb....i know your talking about parcells (the vp of football operations by the way, not the GM) he signed a contract, hes paid good money, and he has instilled a perfect set up for our team. our head coach is a damn good one. our GM is a damn good one....heard of miles austin for the cowboys? ya our current GM is the one who scouted and signed him to the cowboys. so please....google "dolphins front office" or try not sounding like a moron next time you respond.

thanks.

p.s.- the dolphins....that "fake" team......beat the bills 38-10.....you know the team the "real" panthers lost to by 2 scores with their backup quarterback. fake. lol.

i have no ill feelings towards you or your preferred organization. now pull some strings and let's get some poo done.

did you look at his stats? he's far from horrible sir, in fact, he's very much comparable to a two time super bowl champion named Big Ben. not only did he have more TDs than ben, but he did it in 11 games. all the panthers need is a QB that isn't hopeless, and makes plays, and they can win. Thigpen has shown he can do that. if worst comes to worst, we give up a 4th rounder for him. oops, at least we now have a SOLID backup instead of worthless QBs behind an even more worthless QB.

Yeah wonderful stats. He had a passer rating of 76, completed barely over half his passes, averaged only 6.2 yards per pass with 18 TDS and 12 INTs. On the surface the Tds and Ints seem okay but when you are only throwing 6 yards a pass they are all dinks and dunks. Plus he took off at the first sign of pressure and rarely stood in the pocket. He shared the starter role with Damon Huard last year with them alternatingly sucking until Thigpen went in after every one else got hurt.

In all his 11 starts he helped them win 1 game against Oakland. They wanted him so much they traded him to Miami. And he is their third stringer. Yeah lets make him our starter. LOL

We don't need another backup we have plenty of those. We need a starter and Thigpen isn't.

Yeah wonderful stats. He had a passer rating of 76, completed barely over half his passes, averaged only 6.2 yards per pass with 18 TDS and 12 INTs. On the surface the Tds and Ints seem okay but when you are only throwing 6 yards a pass they are all dinks and dunks. Plus he took off at the first sign of pressure and rarely stood in the pocket. He shared the starter role with Damon Huard last year with them alternatingly sucking until Thigpen went in after every one else got hurt.

In all his 11 starts he helped them win 1 game against Oakland. They wanted him so much they traded him to Miami. And he is their third stringer. Yeah lets make him our starter. LOL

We don't need another backup we have plenty of those. We need a starter and Thigpen isn't.

valid argument...

my rebuttal:

we have jake delhomme... anyone else is an improvement.

my rebuttal. We have Moore and McCown already. If you want to replace Jake lets do it with a franchise quarterback for the next decade. I don't think that guy is on this team right now.

indeed, we seem to just have differing opinions on this. i'm incredibly optimistic about tyler's (endless) potential, and believe that he could possibly be the QB you are talking about and you are a skeptic, which is both understandable and a good thing.

i say we agree to disagree.

indeed, we seem to just have differing opinions on this. i'm incredibly optimistic about tyler's (endless) potential, and believe that he could possibly be the QB you are talking about and you are a skeptic, which is both understandable and a good thing.

i say we agree to disagree.

Tyler does look like Peter Petrelli from Heroes tho.. so i guess that does give him some baller status skills..... :rolleyes:

Archived