• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Tepper.... year 3

TheBigKat

For those of you who have never transformed an organizational culture.  You do not clean house--there are too many procedures and protocols that leave when the employee leaves.  You bring in replacements, you watch and observe for a while so you can see the needs and deficiencies.  Sure, you want everyone to be axed after year 1, but there is a slow, gradual transition to do it successfully.  He is doing this correctly, based on my knowledge and assumptions about his methods.

• Pie 3

9 minutes ago, KSpan said:

There was literally >a decade of data available on Hurney. If Tepper, a self-proclained analytics guy, chose to remain blind to his history and/or the GM landscape then that is also a mistake. It's on him either way.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Even Tepper himself has seemed to acknowledge that he kept Marty too long.

I suspect if Scott Fitterer does a good job as GM, Tepper's going to get an even better perspective on just how big a mistake that was.

The man bought the team in July, and it took him some time to get his bearings. He admitted that he had to get the lay of the land, and learn what it was to be a full owner of a franchise (which I'm sure he is still doing). Building a perennial contender takes time! Like I said before, scorched earth is not always the best policy. Hindsight is always 20/20, but in the real world, you should be figuring out what the hell you're doing before you do it. A year and a half to get the bigger picture and devise a plan is not really that long of a time on a relative basis. 

Edited by top dawg

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

For those of you who have never transformed an organizational culture.  You do not clean house--there are too many procedures and protocols that leave when the employee leaves.  You bring in replacements, you watch and observe for a while so you can see the needs and deficiencies.  Sure, you want everyone to be axed after year 1, but there is a slow, gradual transition to do it successfully.  He is doing this correctly, based on my knowledge and assumptions about his methods.

Depends on the nature of the transition, degree of change, and immediacy with which it is needed. Either way that doesn't prevent mistakes from being labeled as such, even if they are mistakes of caution/seeming prudence.

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The man bought the team in July, and it took him some time to get his bearings. He admitted that he had to get the lay of the land, and learn what it was to be a full owner of a franchise (which I'm sure he is still doing). Building a perennial contender takes time! Like I said before, scorched earth is not always the best policy. Hindsight is always 20/20, but in the real world, you should be figuring out what the hell you're doing before you do it. A year and a half to get the bigger picture and devise a plan is not really that long of a time on a relative basis. 

He had the team for a full season along with the tons of performance data when he chose to retain Ron and Marty post-2018. My point stands.

Edited by KSpan

1 minute ago, KSpan said:

He had the team for a full year when he chose to retain Ron and Marty post-2018. My point stands.

And my point still stands that a year and a half is not unreasonable to get your bearings from such a monumental transition and undertaking. They're both gone now, and Tepper hasn't even owned the team three years! We have a coach who's been around for more than a year, and a new GM. We're obviously trying to find a franchise-level QB, and we're changing the culture in Charlotte. And, not trying to be a total homer, but they look like pretty good hires so far (admittedly based on a limited, but promising track record)--all in under three years. I can't really complain about that too much.

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

And my point still stands that a year and a half is not unreasonable to get your bearings from such a monumental transition and undertaking. They're both gone now, and Tepper hasn't even owned the team three years! We have a coach who's been around for more than a year, and a new GM. We're obviously trying to find a franchise-level QB, and we're changing the culture in Charlotte. And, not trying to be a total homer, but they look like pretty good hires so far (admittedly based on a limited, but promising track record)--all in under three years. I can't really complain about that too much.

That's fine and you're welcome to that opinion. There are also facts supporting that retaining them too long led to decisions being made that are hamstringing progress and may have impacts for years to come. The data available clearly showed that Rivera and Hurney would continue to be what they are, and the decision to retain them into 2019 and 2020 has negative consequences. 

I'm not impressed that Tepper felt the need to take it all on himself instead of quickly identifying the clear and evident, decade+ old problems and getting the right support to fix them ASAP, be it a 'consultant' or some other route. He screwed up even if only by omission of action. He can show that he's learned from the mistakes but at the moment those decisions are haunting the team. That's on him.

Edited by KSpan

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

That's fine and you're welcome to that opinion. There are also facts supporting that retaining them too long led to decisions being made that are hamstringing progress and may have impacts for years to come. The data available clearly showed that Rivera and Hurney would continue to be what they are, and the decision to retain them into 2019 and 2020 has negative consequences. 

I'm not impressed that Tepper felt the need to take it all on himself instead of quickly identifying the problems and getting the right support to fix them ASAP, be it a 'consultant' or some other route. He screwed up even if only by omission of action. He can show that he's learned from the mistakes but at the moment those decisions are haunting the team. That's on him.

In my opinion, the only decision that's really haunting the team is the amount and length of Teddy's contract. I can't blame that fully on Hurney. Rhule, Brady and even Tepper have to bear some responsibility for that. 

We can debate about anything else, but I'm just attributing it to the business of football, and there will hardly be any long term effects, other than perhaps being beholden to Teddy one year too long, and even that might go away.