• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Positional Value

CanadianCat

11 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Honestly, 'positional value' is how absolute superstars slip to the dominant teams as the poor teams chase that QB / LT / CB.

My approach to the Draft has always been to take the best guy available - FA is where you fill holes. There's nothing more painful than watching your middling LT / QB run out for you while that stud LB / TE / RB (etc) who was taken with the next pick tears up the league. 

I agree FA is where you should try to set yourself up for the draft.

But there is definitely a value scale. For example if you pick #5 overall and your big board has #5 TE, #6 DE then the best value at that position should be the DE.

I do agree you cannot go in 100% with either philosophy. 

A team drafting Value means every year they draft a QB in round 1

A team drafting PBA is drafting Roberto Aguayo in the second. 

On 2/27/2021 at 10:55 PM, kungfoodude said:

I think generally you look at positional value by looking at historical draft positions and also what positions are generally the highest paid/most sought after every year. However, there are sometimes freak players at positions of lower value that sort of demand a move up the normal board or as a team you might want to lock in an elite player at a position of lower value because it is a big need for your team. 

IMO, without taking into account elite players in positions of lower value or team needs:

Top Tier: QB, LT, Elite Pass Rushers(DE, EDGE, Elite DT's) - These guys have higher value due to their direct impact on the passing game which is really critical in the modern NFL.

Second Tier: Elite WR's, Elite CB's, Elite Pass Catching TE's - I make a distinction in these "Elite" skill position players because they can be absolute game changers in the pass game. Either able to effectively neutralize an elite pass catcher or able to consistently provide mismatches in the passing game. 

Third Tier: Interior OL, RT's, RB's, non-pass rushing LB's, S's - These guys are typically able to be drafted outside the first round and still make significant impacts on your roster. For IOL/RT, there is typically a larger pool of elite interior guys or plenty of good college LT's that can be effective RT's in the NFL. RB's and LB's are typically somewhat plentiful but also have shorter careers than the average prospect. Safety's are another position with typically a deep pool that can extend past the first 2 rounds.

Fourth Tier: TE, K, P, FB. All of these positions can be obtained relatively easily in the middle to late rounds of the draft to find effective players. In general, these guys are relatively devalued in the modern NFL.

I totally agree with this take. It's not necessarily which position you play but what you can do at that position. On defense, great pass rushing skills greatly improve you value whether you line up as a DT,DE or LB. Being able to get to the other team's QB quickly and often improves your chances of winning significantly. This past Super Bowl demonstrated that wonderfully where the league's best QB was essentially removed from the game by the second half. Also, in the secondary, ball hawking will make a player more valuable. Players who get sacks or interceptions are game changers.

On offence, QBs who can win in the 4th quarter at a high rate than the ones who can't regardless of stats. Brady is great not for his stats, other QBs have better, but for his amazing ability to win games in the 4th quarter. WRs, TEs and RBs who can consistently get 3rd downs and/TDs have value. These players are game changers. Whatever the position, the more players you have that can change the game in your favor with 1 play will greatly improve you chances of success. 

• Beer 1

On 3/5/2021 at 9:31 AM, OldhamA said:

Honestly, 'positional value' is how absolute superstars slip to the dominant teams as the poor teams chase that QB / LT / CB.

My approach to the Draft has always been to take the best guy available - FA is where you fill holes. There's nothing more painful than watching your middling LT / QB run out for you while that stud LB / TE / RB (etc) who was taken with the next pick tears up the league. 

This is definitely true, however dominant teams usually already have that QB/LT/CB. Which is why the poor teams are always chasing them. 

On 3/2/2021 at 7:16 PM, Basbear said:

This is mine take. I feel everyone should have the same top three. Im a DL whore, fyi. Some varies depending on system, climate, stadium, left handed QB, etc .

1- QB

2-Edge/DE/3-4OLB

3. LT(could make a good case for #1, much less great LTs than QBs)

4. WR

5. CB

6. DT

7. RT

8. TE

9. C

10. OG

11. RB

12. LB

13. Safety

14. Kicker(could/should be higher)

15. Punter

16. LS/FB/Gunner/Ace/H-back

About 7 years ago I had OG rated lower, RG and LG vary on worth too. At times RG is asked to block the 3tech DT, you need a stud for that task. Follow the money and that gives you where teams feel value is. 

Im changing mine- Move CB to 7th. RT to 6th and DT to 5th. Zone is ran too much to cover up lesser CBs, thus lowering the ranks for me. If theres was a true man-to-man elite corncer, that gos back to 5th, but theres not one like that except maybe Rams, but they still run zone at times.