• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Simms “no way the panthers draft Lance at 8”

GoobyPls

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

One of the biggest WTF about Lance is the concerns about his throws. How can you watch him run around then throw 50 yard bombs and go " Welll I dont know about this guy... "

Nobody is knocking his potential. He has the potential to be a beast. But potential can be a scary thing because most players never reach or get close to their full potential. I’ve seen plays of Lawrence, Fields and Wilson all scramble a bit and launch the ball 50 yards in the air. Hell, Fields did it multiple times to Clemson. 

On the flip side, I watched three of his full games and at one point made notes of every throw he had. A lot of the short to midrange throws were completions that weren’t placed well. It’s been pointed out plenty of times in Lance threads on screen passes he had a habit of not leading his WRs so they have to stop and turn their bodies around to catch the ball, then turn around to start running up field. It’s a consistency issue that’s hard to ignore because you have 17 total games of tape. And in some of those games he doesn’t even throw the ball 15 times. So it’s not a ton of throws to evaluate.

That’s a tough pill to swallow because most years there is a guy in the draft that if you wanted to just look at a 16 game college stretch they look amazing and they physically have all the tools and then they don’t pan out. 

He reminds me of Jordan Love with way less experience. If we pick him obviously I’m trusting the staff to develop him but if Fields or Wilson are options while Lance is still on the board I’m picking Fields or Wilson over Lance every time. 

25 minutes ago, Varking said:

Nobody is knocking his potential. He has the potential to be a beast. But potential can be a scary thing because most players never reach or get close to their full potential. I’ve seen plays of Lawrence, Fields and Wilson all scramble a bit and launch the ball 50 yards in the air. Hell, Fields did it multiple times to Clemson. 

On the flip side, I watched three of his full games and at one point made notes of every throw he had. A lot of the short to midrange throws were completions that weren’t placed well. It’s been pointed out plenty of times in Lance threads on screen passes he had a habit of not leading his WRs so they have to stop and turn their bodies around to catch the ball, then turn around to start running up field. It’s a consistency issue that’s hard to ignore because you have 17 total games of tape. And in some of those games he doesn’t even throw the ball 15 times. So it’s not a ton of throws to evaluate.

That’s a tough pill to swallow because most years there is a guy in the draft that if you wanted to just look at a 16 game college stretch they look amazing and they physically have all the tools and then they don’t pan out. 

He reminds me of Jordan Love with way less experience. If we pick him obviously I’m trusting the staff to develop him but if Fields or Wilson are options while Lance is still on the board I’m picking Fields or Wilson over Lance every time. 

Its fair, I have concerns too and just like everyone even Lawrence have things to work on and improve. Just he has elite upside skills and you only get that by drafting them very early. Plus if there was more tape like the 42-0 TD year, no chance he'd make it til the panthers. I mean most/all players like Lance get better(college-wise), cannt think of a college guy that followed a great year with a dud in recent time. 

Hell, as a UNC fan I hope he's right. But even as a UNC fan, I have serious reservations with Brown as an NFL prospect. His hands are super hit or miss and he's a bit of a one trick pony deep threat. The majority of his yards come on fly routes or gimmicky schemes up quick hitters. His route running needs considerable work.

My NFL comp for Brown? Ted Ginn Jr. Brown's hands are a bit better but while he has speed he doesn't have Ginn's world class speed. But that's what I'm talking about when I say he has hit or miss hands. He's gonna drop some WIDE OPEN balls and it's not going to be on rare occasion.

IMO, Dazz Newsome is the better NFL prospect and he's plug and play in the slot having largely played the same position thought his college career. Brown has a lot of potential but I see him more boom or bust. Newsome is going to have a decent NFL career with his receiving skills, hands, and added bonus return ability.