• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jake Gardiner Waived

Anybodyhome

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/players/playerpage/1897666/jake-gardiner

Hurricanes' Jake Gardiner: Placed on waivers
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Gardiner (back) was waived by Carolina on Saturday, Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic reports.

Gardiner is expected to be sidelined for a while with his back issue, so the Hurricanes are hoping he'll pass through waivers unclaimed so they can assign him to their taxi squad in order to free up cap space while he's unable to play. The 30-year-old blueliner has tallied seven helpers while averaging 15:48 of ice time per contest in 17 appearances this season.

------------------------------------------

Time to face the music now. Gardiner has an injury history. Although as solid and reliable a player as he was early in his career in Toronto, the reality is he's missed a a bunch of games the last 3 straight seasons due to injury. Thing is, can this team afford to cut their losses with Jake and part ways with free agent to-be Dougie Hamilton? 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, 54th man said:

My big concern is how do we keep Fleury and Bean now that they both have played enough to be exposed for the expansion draft later this year. I really like Beans upside compared to Fleurys

Fleury is eligible no matter what. Still waiting for clarification on the wording of this draft because if they did change it to "NHL Players/Professionals" bean won't be eligible. He would if its "Professional Players" though from the two seasons with the Checkers + this year.

But like I said in the one thread in the super long breakdown. We are going to have a much much higher value target available from the forwards no matter what. I wouldn't worry about Fleury or Bean much at all unless the Kraken's GM targets them specifically over who ever is high value we are forced to leave open.

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, 54th man said:

We are the deepest defenseman team though that's why I think we will lose a dman

I think if we don't sign Dougie by then he's as good as gone unfortunately. If not we really can't protect both Nino and Tro, if we do resign Dougie... Oof. Nino, Foegele and Tro open in the most likely scenerio. I do not want to lose either Nino or especially Tro. They are playing absurdly good right now but Tro is just out of this world and statistically our best player. 

• Pie 1

The only good thing is that Seattle can only take one then it's done. I feel we have more talent in our farm system in forward depth than defensive depth. The way Jarvis is playing and even Suzuki its gonna be no time before they get called up in a year or two. Hell I'm super impressed with Geekie when he plays now even like him more than McGinn myself. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, Harbingers said:

I think if we don't sign Dougie by then he's as good as gone unfortunately. If not we really can't protect both Nino and Tro, if we do resign Dougie... Oof. Nino, Foegele and Tro open in the most likely scenerio. I do not want to lose either Nino or especially Tro. They are playing absurdly good right now but Tro is just out of this world and statistically our best player. 

Dougie isn't playing at a level since his injury to Justify the 8.5M Aho money he wants..

Between Nino and Trocheck you have to protect Trocheck.... It took us so long to find a reliable second line center.... Although I could see Necas going back to his natural position.

• Pie 2